The Kings Speech - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Zero Effect's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default The Kings Speech

Apologies if this has been posted before but unable to find it through the thousands of threads.

I have just watched this film tonight and I have to say it was worth the awards it has won.

I thought that the start of the film was really slow to get going but after that it seem to flow off the tongue unlike some of the words trying to be spoken by Colin Firth.

I loved it and will get it on DVD once it eventually comes out.

Anyway what are your opinions fellow heresy followers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 11:12 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Did you see black swan, social network or any of the other movies nominated? I have not see it yet, but I doubt it will be better then any of those.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 11:20 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Did you see black swan, social network or any of the other movies nominated? I have not see it yet, but I doubt it will be better then any of those.
You think the social network deserved nominating? What made that movie good, in your oppinion? Or was it based on the fact that 95% of my generation (sadly) wasted money to go see it in droves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 11:35 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I did like the king's speech, i thought it was an excellent film and a justified winner. However I don't feel compelled to watch it again any time soon, and i doubt it'll be one of those films that becomes properly iconic.

The script was pretty good, and the story was ok (though rather linear) but i have to say the acting was exceptional throughout. I'd compel everyone to watch it just the once, as i'm sure you'd come away happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
You think the social network deserved nominating? What made that movie good, in your oppinion?
Excellent script, well directed, good acting, interesting story....the usual things they give oscar nominations for.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 11:53 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

What he said.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-11, 03:32 AM
Craw-Daddy

Social Network was good. I was one of those people who got pissed off because I thought it was a celebration of the Facebook application. Quite the contrary its about how simplistic and how socially disturbing the people who created treated each other.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-11, 07:45 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love social network, even stumped up for the blue ray,good film,good acting, great story,havent seen kings speech or black swan yet,gonna wait till they are released, got sick of going to the cinema every week.
The Oscars are generally horse shit anyway,personally i judge a film by what i see on screen and by bums on seats,because those are the two things that really matter, i dont care what the critics think or what the "industry" give awards to,its what i like that counts and its also how many people go see it or own it that keeps the film industry going that counts, and how likely we will see a sequel or more of the same.

Im pleased for Colin Firth, hes a great actor and im surprised its taken this long for hollywood to give him an award,Also amazing that they gave one to Queen Armidala, she narrowly missed out on the oscar for Revenge of the Sith, but thats because Lucas cut the gold bikini lesbian scene out of the final cut to keep the rating down.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-11, 09:12 AM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I watched Black Swan last night. After watching that, King's Speech and Social Network. I feel that King's speech deserved its win.

I liked all 3 films but just thought The King's Speech had that little bit extra to get it the award.

According to most of the critics the reason the King's Speech won was due to its story of overcoming odds , it had heart. Social Network did not, while it was a great film I just did not have that uplifting feeling that so many people like because well it was about a douchebag.

I was pretty suprised when I heard that Social Network was being nomiated for an Oscar, I dont know I really liked the film when I saw it, it just never stood out as anything special. But then is The King's Speech or Black Swan special ? I dont really know.

Last edited by Talos; 03-03-11 at 09:15 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-11, 01:51 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was amazed that social network didnt have a happy ending, i was kinda expecting him to kiss and make up with spider man at the end and kick timberlake in his micro nuts so was quite surprised that he carried on being a dick if a rich one.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-11, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
I was amazed that social network didnt have a happy ending, i was kinda expecting him to kiss and make up with spider man at the end and kick timberlake in his micro nuts so was quite surprised that he carried on being a dick if a rich one.
Well as the ending text showed us, he made back his losses tenfold within a single year. He had no reason to show some humility or become nicer.

The moment I heard what The Kings Speech was about, I rolled my eyes and started looking for something else. A 'true story' set around 'WW2', about member of the 'royal family' who has to overcome a 'stutter' with the help of a [less privileged individual]. Watch this:

A [insert true story or based on true events] set around [select historic time period], about member of the [choose rich family/corporation/foundation/group] who has to overcome a [insert ailment] with the help of a [choose less rich or even poor family/corporation/foundation/group].

Sprinkle some decent acting and a script with the barest hint of a soul or work put into it and you have something hard pressed to not be nominated. Don't get me wrong, the acting, script, and screenplay are all good; its just that the story is safe and follows a very generic and somewhat boring formula.

Please, give this a view and see what I mean: The King's Speach

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode