The Fighter - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-11, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Default The Fighter

Sorry guys, I've been in the loop for several months. As a result I've been on a movie spree. I went to one of those little movie theaters that show some of the older movies and I watched this one.

The Fighter is based on a true story on the life of the boxer Micky Ward. The movie starts off in small town Massachusetts where his parents and his druggie brother are trying to get fights for Micky to go out and win. The only problem is that his brother who is suppose to be training him is always getting high and not helping him like he can. His mother who is arrogant and close minded sticks behind Dicky (his brother) despite his drug problem. As a result they both keep on finding Micky fights that are way beyond his weight class. As a result, Micky (also a walterweight) gets beaten pretty bad.

As the movie goes along he meets a red head babe named Charlene. All is turning up well until his brother does a little run in with the cops where Micky defends and tries to explain, that his brother has drug problems and the cops break his hand. After his brother goes to jail, Micky is finally given the opportunity to make a name for himself without his brother and mother. Dicky comes back from prison and must chose whether to give it all up in the name of family and lose his girl, who also threatens to leave him if he listens to them (his family), or take this one chance with Charlene to greatness.

Pros: A great movie. There's a lot of adversity and Mark Wahlberg is awesome. Not to mention Amy Adams looks like a babe. The plot is well set up and it looks very realistic. Not sure what was exaggerated and what was not, but its based on a true story. In fact, apparently Dicky actually had a real HBO documentary about drugs a while back which was touched upon in the film. Also had a good selection of actors that played their roles well.

Cons: Didn't have many than perhaps, the movie had some slow points. Its not a boxing montage film like Rocky. The movie revolves around opportunity more than it does with the actual boxing. It is not really a con, but since it is a boxing film which probably attracts a lot of that audience, this may bother them.

Rating: I rated the film 3.25 out of 4 stars. Its pretty decent. And I almost forced myself to give it a 3.5 with the great films I've seen in my life. The only difference is that due to the length of the film, I may be a little more picky of when to watch this film again compared to most. Otherwise, definitely a must watch film. I really think you'd like it if you have not already seen it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-11, 05:31 AM

Loved the Fighter. The best movie of the year in my opinion. Mark Wahlburg is a good actor. This is the role I find better suits Christian Bale. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode