New Movie: The Eagle - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-11, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Default New Movie: The Eagle

Another movie made about the lost 9th Legion of Rome, The Eagle, takes a different style and take to into what happened concerning the 9th Legion's Eagle compared to what happened in Centurion.

The movie concerns the son of the 9th Legion's General's son and his quest to redeem his families name. Especially since his father let the Eagle fall into enemies hands. The General "Marcus Aquila," (LOL, might as well just say Marcus Eagle) asks to get assigned to Britain where he gets command of a shit post in the middle of nowhere.

Marcus, living off the memory of his father is seen as a bad omen among the troops in the outpost. But after a heroic stand against the barbarians he is seen a great hero, but with a cost. During the battle he suffers a injury that gives him much honor amongst the troops and the awards presented to him. But amongst those awards is an honorable discharge due to his injury.

Stressed and shamed for not securing his father's name he follows a rumor over the 9th Legion's Eagle to takes him and his slave, Esca, up north in search for it. But, there is a little more to Esca than meets the eye, and the history behind Esca's fatheris more closely linked Marcus' than anyone would have imagined...

Good Parts- Definitely a good movie. The movie is more of an adventure style movie more than a war style one. It had decent fight scenes and props. The plot was also an interesting one and provided for some mystery as the movie got along.

Bad Parts- Some of the improper use of props can be frowned upon. But its not that big of a deal. I guess if you had a history major it would piss you off a bit more. But my anger didn't last more than a minute as the movie went on. Another thing that could be annoying is that the film started slow. My old father sighed a lot due to his impatience. I'm pretty patient though so it didn't really have an effect on me. There is a bit of talking and traveling. Again, its not a war film. Also some of the unrealistic parts can prove to be cheesy.

Overall- I rate the film something like 2.75 out of 4 stars. I don't think it deserved the 3 star rating. But it was a good film to watch in movie theaters at least once.

Comparing it to the film Centurion :

The Eagle's Edge: There was a bit more of a plot with The Eagle, so it kind of made the film a bit more interesting than Centurion.

The Centurion's Edge: The Centurion had a better selection of actors for the film in my opinion. Therefore it built more interest for the characters throughout the film. The film was also more realistic with its approach comparribly. Lastly, the props were a lot better in Centurion than The Eagle's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-11, 06:10 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

I love Rome, so I'd probably see this even if it was crappy. I'm not expecting a Gladiator, but it sounds decent (which is amazing for Hollywood these days anyways).

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-11, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Same here. I like the Roman History even if the movies are pretty much historical fiction. The movie is pretty decent and I would probably get it on DVD.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-11, 11:14 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I am going to wait to see it on DVD but it does look good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode