Movie Expectations too high? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Default Movie Expectations too high?

Lately I have seen a lot of movies with good potential and fun action get panned by professional critics. Usually the complaint is that the story is either lacking a good plot, lacking out-of-this-world acting and "super-duper" originality. Some of them even demand some sort of philosophical message!

I for one find this kinda of annoying. For instance, action movies. I am a big fan of action movies and lets be honest here: action movies don't really specialize on plot most of the time. Yet critics want something special and philosophical like The Dark Night.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 06:12 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Anyone who studies anything rather than experiencing it purely for enjoyment will be looking at what is special about a work, so film critics will always dislike the standardised "hang from a helicopter shooting stuff whilst seducing the girl with monosyllables" aspects of films.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 06:33 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Anyone who studies anything rather than experiencing it purely for enjoyment will be looking at what is special about a work, so film critics will always dislike the standardised "hang from a helicopter shooting stuff whilst seducing the girl with monosyllables" aspects of films.
I wouldn't say it's entirely because they are studying it, I think it's more a case of saturation.

If you watch 2 films a week, your expectations from a film will probably be lower than someone who watches 10 or 20.

Quote:
Lately I have seen a lot of movies with good potential and fun action get panned by professional critics.
What reviews are you reading? Lately I've found the film magazines to be much more reasonable when reviewing action films, whereas internet reviewers seem to have a very harsh view of anything with a reasonable budget.

At it's heart, a review is massively subjective anyway. The best you can do is try to find someone who shares your views on films and then follow their advice.....but this won't always guarantee a perfect match.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 06:55 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
I wouldn't say it's entirely because they are studying it, I think it's more a case of saturation.

If you watch 2 films a week, your expectations from a film will probably be lower than someone who watches 10 or 20.
My brother is a 3rd year film student, so when he's not working his arse off on location or in the editing suite he's watching countless films again and again- but he loved Expendables when we went to see it in the cinema for exactly what it was, an gloriously over the top, testosterone fueled action flick.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 12:02 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
My brother is a 3rd year film student, so when he's not working his arse off on location or in the editing suite he's watching countless films again and again- but he loved Expendables when we went to see it in the cinema for exactly what it was, an gloriously over the top, testosterone fueled action flick.
Indeed, but i'm pretty sure Empire and the guardian gave fairly positive reviews* for the expendables. It's a pretty good film. How did he fair with Bangkok dangerous?

*I think Total Film panned it, but they are muppets.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 01:49 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Critics know fuck all. They're overpaid lardarses to review something that many will do for free, without having the actual truth skewed by those willing to sell newspapers, or generate themselves a notoriety.

And Expendables is horrendous - it's just hilarious with Short Man and Terry Cruze, big splodey things, and a sick car chase, but as a movie it's good.

I say Black Swan the other day - outstanding - and so well directed that the sex scenes didn't detract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 07:20 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Movies are like any form of art, they dont need to be technically good to be enjoyed and they dont have to be enjoyed to be popular. Dont listen to critics, they mostly talk shite go with what your balls say, use your balls.
By the way Invictus is a great movie for those that havent seen it, its about south african rugby,now not exactly two subjects i would normally give two shits about but i loved the film, how morgan freeman didnt get the oscar for that role is a wonder but then again the oscars is more about massaging egos than talent anyway.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode