Blu Ray worth it or not? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Blu Ray worth it or not?

I was pretty lucky as i got a quite a stack of blurays given for christmas, but i was reading online that the format has not been as popular as the industry thought it would be. The reason quoted was that Bluray isnt a large enough improvement over dvd as dvd was over VHS tape, so do you own blurays or do you think they are just over priced dvd's ?
My personal annoyance with blurays is the three disk format ones , so you get a bluray ,DVD and digital format disc in one box, i really dont need the dvd or digital copy but i feel im in someway paying extra for them.

so what are your thoughts on bluray? did anyone have the HD format before it went obsolete?

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 10:26 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

HD-DVD was not obsolete, it was out marketed. BluRay had more money and honestly just sounded better.

Do you have a 1080p TV and/or a hi-def sound system? If yes then go BluRay, if no then invest in one or return them for DVDs.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 10:30 PM
Punx For Life

jimmy gunn's Flag is: England

I've got a sony blu ray player and to be honest was very disappointed with it.

not only does it sometimes cost 10 more then dvd for a film but the quality is not that much better at all.
And what with most new dvd players and the xbox having HD up-scaling there really is no point in blu ray.

I think the only thing that has kept blu ray afloat is the fact that the playstation 3 have it built in.

If I could have tried the blu ray at home before I bought it I would have spent my money on something else.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 10:31 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

can't be arsed with them, the players cost too much for me to bother, the disks cost too much for me to bother, the selection is too little for me to bother, and the picture quality "improvements" are so small its not worth the bother.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 11:10 PM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Unless you have at least 5 grands worth of TV and stereo, you probably wont notice a difference.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 11:22 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

The selection is to small? Where the hell do you shop at?

I have a BluRay and am happy with it, I see and hear the difference, but it is no way as big of an upgrade as VHS to DVD was, we are talking about 2 different mediums here.

DVD to BluRay upgrade is the amount of information stored on the disk but the overall formatting is the same. BluRay to DVD IIRC upgrades more sound then video, but the video is still clearer.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-11, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok just to clarify im not looking for advice on the worth of bluray i have a pretty good home cinema system and a ps3 to play them, im looking for how you feel about them? On my TV with some of the big money block busters the improvement in quality over DVD is very evident and the sound is amazing and thats at 5:1 god knows what 7:1 surround will be like but bluray supports that on some films. But on some of the things like cartoons,tvshows or converts from old formats the quality isnt there so i personally avoid those and buy them in DVD format if i want them.

As for choice most new movies will be released in both dvd and bluray format, but back catalogs are slow to catch up, Disney for example are committed to remastering its back catalog and releasing it in bluray format with loads of extras which is cool, back to the future got the same treatment which is great but alot of older title are just getting transferred over with no remastering or effort and being sold as a higher price for dvd quality product. Also the back catalogue of releases differs from country to country, i had to import a US bluray of Terminator of all films to complete my collection, thats right the first movie of the series was the only one in the UK i couldnt buy on bluray???bit of a pain as that my favourite.

I bought my wife the 20th anniversary bluray edition of Dirty dancing and it was a terrible conversion, it wasnt even dvd quality, everyone looked like they had a tan and the picture was visably pixelated in several scenes in the first 20 mins, i checked reviews online and other people had commented on the low quality too. Yet i picked up StElmos fire again for the wife and it was perfect, HD quality picture perfect sound and looked like it had been filmed in the last two years rather than 20 plus years ago.
Anyone else know of any bluray movies to avoid because of low quality issues with sound or picture quality?

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 03:53 AM

Crimson Shadow's Flag is: USA

I bought the Blu-Ray version of The Matrix, figuring it would look and sound even better than the DVD. I was disappointed. I couldn't tell a difference between them at all.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 09:11 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I might buy a Blu-ray player next year... The Star Wars movies are being released in Blu-ray, and thats pretty much the only reason I would want one... But I will probably check a couple of reviews first, as there is a lot of stuff I could spend that money on...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-11, 09:16 AM

Shadowbadger's Flag is: Scotland

I would not have a blu-ray player were it not for the PS3. Yes the quality is a little better but there is nothing new like the ability to select chapters and not have the tape chewed like going from VHS to DVD.

I buy blu-ray disks if they are not much more expensive or if it is a film I REALY want. Otherwise there is no point in paying 15 for the blu-ray when the DVD is 3. I would maybe pay 5 for the blu-ray in that case.

Scenery and modelling blog: http://shadowbadger.wordpress.com

Im broniphobic just like Im arachnophobic. I have nothing against bronies or spiders but Id still scream if I found one in my bathtub !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode