Top Gear. The US version... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Default Top Gear. The US version...

OK, I have watched Top Gear since it was available here in the States. Due to reruns and a bit of the internet, I have seen every episode from every season. BBC America has had it on Monday nights for quite a few years now. My wife, son and I really enjoyed watching it. My friends enjoyed watching too. It is funny, entertaining, sarcastic, mildly informative and for the most part, honest. Jeremy, Richard and James have a chemistry that works and works well. So why would BBC allow The History Channel to do a US version of the worlds most popular TV show of all time? Seriously, why? The original has aired here for long enough that people know the show, know the hosts and enjoy it.

So the first episode of the US Top Gear premiered tonight. It was horrible to say the least. The hosts have about as much charisma as a freshly laid turd. They are monotone, dull and not entertaining. They also do not have the accents to say the names of the cars correctly either. They had three Lamborghini's on and the guy says "Lamb-borg-gee-nee Gee-arr-doh" or the "Bal-Bony" in a stupid New Jersey accent. He just dumbed down and ruined the sexyness of the Lamborghini names in a stupid American accent. It just sounded horrible. Fuck-tards.

But what really chaps my ass is that nothing was original. Everything they are doing is a direct rip-off of the original. From the intro music to the power laps to the star in a reasonably priced car to The Stig to the engine table and chairs made from car seats. It has nothing to call its own and is just stupid.

Lastly, the one host has a god damned mole the size of a thumb nail hanging off his cheek. Get it cut off you dirt-bag New Jersey piece of trash. The other host wears plaid, has a pair of glasses that do not fit correctly and I think are a womens frame and has the quintessential fat American look. Holly fuck, plaid? Get some fashion sense you inbred redneck. The other host? Tanner Faust. He is a washed up race car driver. He failed at driving and then had a TV show a while ago. That also failed. Now he is killing this one too. Fail, fail, fail.

They have ruined Top Gear for me... ruined it completely. Time for me to change my avatar... the stig is dead to me. DEAD I SAY!!!

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 11-22-10 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:21 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I can only imagine a Yank top Gear being a nightmare, and from the sounds of it its the exact same reasons as well, lack of humour, lacking in the concept of sarcasm and lacking the ability to speak basic english.

I expect to see this ripped a new one by clarkson and the gang when top gear finally gives us a reason to turn our TV's on, which I hope is soon, as my remote is gathering allot of dust.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

I just hope that this garbage doesn't mean that BBC America will stop airing the original, (and only "Top Gear" I will ever acknowledge to exist) on Mondays when the new season comes around.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 02:21 PM
The Apathetic Sociopath

OrkByTheGraceOfGork's Flag is: USA

I went through my Top Gear phase and still watch it occasionally. I watched a clip of the US version and those hosts are pretty stale. I don't think the producers get it. The reason UK Top gear does so well, even though it has lost some of it's charm lately, is due to the chemistry and the personalities of the hosts. It's not the cars so much.

Btw, how's the Australian version doing?

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 03:25 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

dont worry its all gonna be just fine
check out the stig farm

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/vid...Mode=this-week

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:08 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Well if that's not how you pronounce Lamborghini, how the fuck DO you pronounce it? Yes, I need to watch the UK version. I've been meaning to, but I just don't flip to BBC America that often. I wish they still showed Benny Hill, that's about all I watched.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k View Post
Well if that's not how you pronounce Lamborghini, how the fuck DO you pronounce it? Yes, I need to watch the UK version. I've been meaning to, but I just don't flip to BBC America that often. I wish they still showed Benny Hill, that's about all I watched.
Have an Italian say Lamborghini and then have a douche from New Jersey say it. Which one is going to say it so it sounds correct?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-10, 07:38 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm interested to see it, just to see how bad they've cocked it up.

US Top gear sounds as good an idea as US monty python (not that TG comes anywhere close to MP), i just can't see it translating well.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-10, 08:32 PM

CursedUNTILLDEATH's Flag is: USA

I share your pain Unforgiven... it was horrid indeed. The hosts were the worst part, totally devoid of personality and humor ...they were obviously reading from a script that they had no part in writing. Please god let the UK version continue to air in the US...otherwise I might die.

"If there is any primarch who should have never been found, its Lorgar. Why? Two words. Hours Hersey"
"It was a 1......why was it a 1!"
Yes, I do play orks, yes, I do have quite a few boys on the table, and yes, it does take me a while to move them...got a problem with that...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode