Alien vs Aliens - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Alien vs Aliens

Hey everyone.

I've started a few, shall we say, hot topic discussions lately here on Heresy so I thought, "What the hell, let's start another one".

In saying that, I am only joking, why I started this thread was because I recently brought out the old Alien Quadrilogy DVD set and started an Alien marathon night.

To my dismay, my horror, Aliens is a terrible movie. I mean epicly bad when watched right after Alien.

The tone is so different its like a whole other universe, and what the hell happened to the Alien? Something that is literally terrifying in the first movie becomes an easily killed bug in the second. Those marines (except Hicks of course) are annoying and there is actually suprisingly little action. What has really annoyed me is the amount of praise this movie gets in almost all of its reviews. Also and I'm being fair, even though its a slight cultural bias, alot of Americans seem to say that Aliens is superior to Alien, WTF?

Anyway, what I want to ask and discuss is, surely I'm not the only one who would have prefered a Ridley Scott style sequel instead of Cameron's mess of a movie. I think Fincher rescued the Alien franchise in the third, by basically killing everything Cameron did and returned to Ridley's dirty, gritty and nihilistic original style. That was despite the massive amount of problems he had filming the thing.

Anyone else agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:25 PM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

the first movie was done as a pure spine tingling edge of the seat old school horror, as a sort of homage to the classic horrows from the 60's, where yu didnt see the full monster till the end.
As for the second one, that was done as anction flick with big guns and hordes of monters, i enjoyed it, mainly the extended version where you se the sentry guns in action.
with alien 3 they sort of went back to the style of the original movie, it was good, but not the best
as for the last one, TBh, i wasnt over impressed with it

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:35 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I absolutely LOVE aliens, its my sort of movie, Alien I wasn't a fan of, not my type of movie at all, and 3 was a steaming pie of boredom for me, resurection was better, but still not great.

if you don't like aliens, don't watch it, if you prefer Alien, watch that instead, problem solved

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynn View Post
the first movie was done as a pure spine tingling edge of the seat old school horror, as a sort of homage to the classic horrows from the 60's, where yu didnt see the full monster till the end.
As for the second one, that was done as anction flick with big guns and hordes of monters, i enjoyed it, mainly the extended version where you se the sentry guns in action.
with alien 3 they sort of went back to the style of the original movie, it was good, but not the best
as for the last one, TBh, i wasnt over impressed with it
I think your almost being to clever for your own good, I don't think it was a homage to old horror movies, I just think thats the way they made movies back then, don't forget it was released in the 70's.

Although I like how you actually managed to avoid the topic altogether which is; do you like the direction the 2nd movie took or would you rather it kept along the direction it was going?

Nevertheless I always like to hear other opinions/ideas, so thank you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
I absolutely LOVE aliens, its my sort of movie, Alien I wasn't a fan of, not my type of movie at all, and 3 was a steaming pie of boredom for me, resurection was better, but still not great.

if you don't like aliens, don't watch it, if you prefer Alien, watch that instead, problem solved
You know you really don't have to say that, if I don't like it I know not to watch it, but the sheer amount of positive reviews it gets made me wonder if I was the only one who hated it compared with the original.

I thought the third was dark and depressing; exactly how Aliens should be. It also bears alot of the marks in direction that would make Se7en such a hit.

Still because movies are so subjective I might as well not bother discussing it, ever. I mean at the end of the day there will never be a consensus on anything to do with taste, unless you subscribe to the idea that taste is created by your class position within society. But hey, that's a whole other conversation isn't it?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 06:50 PM

Abomination's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like Aliens. A fine film...but, I think Alien is a better film. I may be a bit bias being a fan of Ridley's work (especially Blade Runner) but I much prefer his direction and vision to Camerons in Aliens. Alien just feels like a more original and polished film than Aliens to me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 07:05 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

All the Alien movies are good, or at least Ok, but AVP is the best thing ever...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 07:15 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
All the Alien movies are good, or at least Ok, but AVP is the best thing ever...
surely you jest

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 07:56 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Aliens is the best of the lot because it has sgt Apone " All right people, what are you waiting for, breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps. A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I love the corps!"

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 07:58 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
I think your almost being to clever for your own good, I don't think it was a homage to old horror movies, I just think thats the way they made movies back then, don't forget it was released in the 70's.
The screenwriters have mentioned that they were heavily influenced by a great deal of 50's and 60's horror/sci-fi films, such as Forbidden Planet. Whilst it's not a direct homage, it definitely draws heavily from that source material. And it's 79, so there's quite a gap.

I love Alien and Aliens, and whilst i'd probably enjoy the hypothetical Ridley sequel, i think cameron's Aliens is a brilliant sci-fi action film and it was a very clever decision to take it in a new direction.

There's too many films that should be standalone, but instead they make a sequel which follows the same basic plot with a few tweaks - take predator 2 for example. Aliens takes a genuinely good concept and adds a whole new dynamic which is more of a film in it's own right than a sequel.

Quote:
The tone is so different its like a whole other universe, and what the hell happened to the Alien? Something that is literally terrifying in the first movie becomes an easily killed bug in the second.
In the first it's a mining ship taken completely by surprise, Aliens is a team of trained soldiers actively hunting them. Personally i'd expect the marines to fare better.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode