Walking Dead - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-18-10, 03:56 PM

Turkeyspit's Flag is: Canada

I'm on the fence with this show. It has some pretty interesting strengths and at the same time, some glaring weaknesses.

Strengths:

1. Authenticity

Zombie is culturally a 'voodoo' term. Referring to the undead as 'Walkers' is very cool in my book.

Zombies can see, smell AND hear. Firing a shot into the walker in front of you might just attract several more, and this show is probably the only zombie-esque show I've seen draw attention to that fact.

2. Quality

Special effects, makeup, etc are top notch. The zombies look better than those I've seen in motion pictures.

Weaknesses:

1. Predictability.

OMG, did anyone not figure out how the guy was getting out of the hand-cuffs? I saw it coming in the previous episode!

2. Premature Ejaculation.

Yes, the climax of the 'story arc' arrived too quickly. The protagonist had but one goal when he left the hospital: find his estranged wife and his son. The fact that he accomplished this task by the 3rd episode is a bit of a let down to me. It remains to be seen what motivations he will have in future episodes.

Not having read the comics, I can only judge the show on it's own merits. I'll keep watching it, in hopes it gets better, but if it were canceled today, I wouldn't mourn the loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
Guardsman's thoughts upon spotting a low wall: "Awesome, cover! This will DOUBLE my life expectancy!"
Space Marine's thoughts upon spotting a low wall: "Great, another piece of crap in my way..." That's basically how it goes.

Heresy-Online Ficton Competition 2010 - Winner
Sheep Don't Like Stones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-20-10, 02:36 PM

Flindo's Flag is: Canada

cant wait until the next episode! :D

Warhammer:Skaven 9000 points, Lizardmen 1250 points
Warmachine:Dwarves 261 points, Trolls 125 points Gatormen 174 points
Malifaux: Gremlins 100 Soul Stones
Infinity: Morats 1400 points, Shasvastii 600 points
post #53 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 07:30 AM

aquatic_foible's Flag is: Great Britain

Being a fan of the comic books, I'm loving the deviation and expansion that they've taken with the Atlanta arc [only a couple of pages in the book, primarily to introduce Glen].

The fact that they've gone off-book has made the show incredibly interesting for me. It's easily the most engaging and watchable show on television, aside from Dexter. The only downside is that it's only 6 episodes long...

Already looking forward to the 13 episode second season, and hope they start to hit some of the really big arcs of the comics - namely, the Prison Story.

current wip -
dark angels seventh company
skaven horde
the warriors of ulthuan

foible - foi·ble / ˈfoibəl
noun: a minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character:
"they have to tolerate each other's little foibles".
post #54 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 08:11 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Wow, episode 4 was pretty good. Like the direction it took with the city 'gang' and the finale was great
post #55 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 10:31 PM
ROT

ROT's Flag is: Djibouti

Location: Essex, that shit hole you drive through to get to london.

why was ep. 4 a half length episode... It's usually 1:30 this time it was 0:45.

Good though - Good addition to the story! Needs an explaination though!! Should come in 5 + 6 :D

The guy who wishes he never sold all his warhammer. Haha. Such is life.
post #56 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 11:24 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Shit beginning.

Going right into an emotive scene on a boat like that failed miserably. It wasn't the slightest bit touching and fell way short of the intended effect.

The effects at the end more than made up for it.

Incidentally I just watched a french zombie movie called "La Horde"

Way better than The Boring Dead. Give it a shot fucking class.
post #57 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-23-10, 11:51 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROT View Post
why was ep. 4 a half length episode... It's usually 1:30 this time it was 0:45.

Good though - Good addition to the story! Needs an explaination though!! Should come in 5 + 6 :D
The episodes are 60 minutes in length. That is including the 15-20 minutes of commercials that they show with it. So, 45 minutes of actual show.

I do believe that Merle and the missing box van will be answered for in the next show... if your thinking what I'm thinking he did... what a bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Shit beginning.

Going right into an emotive scene on a boat like that failed miserably. It wasn't the slightest bit touching and fell way short of the intended effect.

The effects at the end more than made up for it.
For someone who has stated they do not like the show and think is it complete shit, you sure have been watching every episode with your undivided attention and then make comment on it.

Just sayin'...

As for the quality of the show, I guess people don't know that the channel that produces the program, AMC, isn't one of the biggest out there. It is a basic cable channel and has lower budgets than that of the big three, NBC, CBS and ABC. They have huge budget shows and is the reason they are the top three channels of North American TV. So far AMC is doing a fine job with a cast of relatively unknown actors, small sets, decent effects and OK writing. If the show takes off, which it has here in the US, it will get the funding to expand and be able to do more and be a lot better.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 11-24-10 at 12:15 AM.
post #58 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-24-10, 12:06 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
For someone who has stated they do not like the show and think is it complete shit, you sure have been watching every episode with your undivided attention and then making comment on it.

Just sayin'...
Quote:
Still, its the best show on TV at the moment so I'll stop moaning and enjoy the good points

I also said I'll watch it... you must of missed that part?
post #59 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-24-10, 12:16 AM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I also said I'll watch it... you must of missed that part?
Must have...
post #60 of 95 (permalink) Old 11-24-10, 05:44 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Well, i watched episode 4, slight improvement.
Was going to give up on the series, but episode 4 may have me interested enough to give the series one final attempt to impress me in episode 5.

Zombies are very well done in the last episode. Very impressed.

But i would have to say that the main character is quite possibly the worst actor of the lot of them.
He always has a "tough-guy" serious look on his face that never changes, he shows absolutely zero emotion, and has the personality of a brick.
The whole idea of a main character is to be somebody that you can relate to, not some lifeless robot.
I mean hell, even R2D2 showed more personality than him.

Storyline is still going nowhere, characters still suck, but ill watch the next episode for the zombies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode