Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-10, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 3

As you might know, the third season of the Clone Wars started around two months ago. Thus far the season has had both good and "bad" episodes, but overall it has been good. In this thread I will post up an individual review for each episode, and post up any news in the series and also have an release schedule for future episodes...

Season 3 release schedule:

01: "Clone Cadets" - September 17,2010
02: "ARC Troopers" - September 17,2010
03: "Supply Lines" - September 24, 2010
04: "Sphere of Influence" - October 1, 2010
05: "Corruption" - October 8, 2010
06: "The Academy" - October 15, 2010
07: "Assassin" - October 22, 2010
08: "Evil Plans" - November 5, 2010
09: "Hunt for Ziro" - November 12, 2010
10: "Heroes on Both Sides" - November 19, 2010
11: "Pursuit of Peace" - December 3, 2010
12: -
13: -
14: -
15: -
16: -
17: -
18: -
19: -
20: -
21: -
22: -

News:

October 14, 2010:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Complete Season Two Box Set release date announced! The box will hit shelves on the 26th of October!

Episode Reviews:

"Clone Cadets"

Clone troopers unite! As war rages
across the galaxy, the Republic's clone
army strives for victory against the evil
forces of the Separatists. Bravery, valor,
unity -- the lifeblood of victory on the
battlefield and in space.

It all begins on the planet Kamino, where
Jedi General Shaak Ti oversees the
training of clones with the help of
contracted bounty hunters. Bred to be
perfect soldiers, these cadets must first
be subjected to intense physical and
mental training before heading off to war...

As a part of the one hour season premiere I was a person who watched the episode with very high hopes, and it was indeed a good one! It shows the interesting relationship between the clone troopers and their trainers, who were often bounty hunters. It was nice to see the Arc-troopers join the series, and it was also very nice to see them wear the prototype Phase-2 armor... At some points the episode felt a bit repetitive, but I have no major problem with that...

Episode score: 9.1

"ARC Troopers"

Separatist attack! After the destruction
of the Republic outpost on the Rishi Moon,
General Grievous and Asajj Ventress plan
an attack on the planet Kamino, home of
the cloning factories.

Meanwhile, aboard a Jedi cruiser, Jedi
Knights Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan
Kenobi examine an intercepted message
from General Grievous...

One of the best episodes this far, beaten only by "Landing at Point Rain" from Season 2. The episode tells the story of the 3rd battle of Kamino. I wont spoil you everything, so just shortly: It has some pretty nice space battles and awesome clone action!

Episode Score: 9.7

"Supply Lines"

A world under siege! The Separatist
have launched a massive offensive against
the planet Ryloth. A blockade of deadly
battleships has cut off any support for
the dwindling Republic defenses.

Though they have fought valiantly with
the help of Twi'lek freedom fighter Cham
Syndulla, hope is fading for Jedi Master
Di and his men as the droid army closes
in....

A very good episode, would have been perfect without two things that were included; Politics and... Jar-Jar... Seriously, they could have made perfect episode, but no, they decided to fill it with a few good, but mostly stupid jokes and boring politics... The thing that made the episode good, was the fact that it had some of the best clone action ever! It is rare that we get to see such a great last stand on TV!

Episode Score: 9.0

Sphere of Influence

Pantora in peril! The newly elected
Chairman of Pantora, Baron Papanoida, is
caught in a deadly political game. The
Trade Federation has blockaded Pantora
and suspended all commerce with the
system. Isolated from the rest of the
Republic, the people of Pantora are
beginning to rally against the Senate,
who have seemed unsympathetic to their
plight.

To make matters worse, Count Dooku has
come forward offering aid if Pantora joins
the Separatist alliance. Chairman Papanoida
has dispatched Senator Chuchi to Coruscant
with the hope that she can motivate the
Senate to act in favor of Pantora before
Lott Dod can legitimize the blockade...

Not one of my favorite episodes, but there was nothing wrong with it. The story plot in the episode is was OK, but it laked any real action scenes other than a crazy George Lucas shooting people in the Cantina... It was nice to see Gredo in the Clone Wars, and seeing Jabba for a short moment was also nice...

Episode Score: 8.7

Corruption

Desperate times on Mandalore! Having
won neutrality for the Mandalorian
system, Duchess Satine now finds
herself an outsider with very little
aid to her people. Supplies are hard
to come by, except on the black market.
As a result, the Duchess faces a world
consumed by greed. Hoping to alleviate
some of the tension rising in the
capital city of Sundari, Satine has
called upon her friend Padmé Amidala
to make a diplomatic visit.

The story follows Padme making a "political" visit to Mandalor. The planet has (other than turned into hippies) started to starve, as trade lines have been cut and the black market prospers as newer before. Not one of my favorites, but for those of you who are not in a great need for action and like politics this is a good one, but for me... Meeh...

Episode Score: 8.2

The Academy

A world in crisis! The peaceful planet of
Mandalore is being strangled by the grip
of corruption. With shortages of every kind,
citizens must turn to the black market in
order to survive. Desperate to free her
people, Duchess Satine has asked her friend
Padmé Amidala to speak with the Jedi Council
in hopes that they will send assistance to
her struggling world.

Ahsoka is sent to Mandalore to teach a class at a leadership accademy. Soon after she arrives, a few cadets follow one of her suggestions and uncover a plot to overthrow the leader of Mandalore.
I really dont know about this one, was kind of a let down for me, as I am in no way interested in a bunch of kids playing detectives, but seeing Ashoka as a star in a episode is always nice...

Episode Score: 8.3

Assassin

Criminals captured! Jedi Master Plo Koon
and Padawan Ahsoka Tano successfully thwarted
an attempt on Mace Windu's life, killing bounty
hunter Aurra Sing in the process. Since that
time, young Ahsoka has grown strong in the ways
of the Force. Now, after several harrowing
adventures alongside her Master, the two Jedi
have returned to the Temple on Coruscant to
receive their next mission...

Awesome episode! The story is all about Ashoka, and she is having bad dreams, also known as "visions", about an assassination attempt on Senator Padme Amidala. Of course Padme is going on some diplomatic trip to Alderan, and Ashoka wants to come with her to protect her... I wont tell you more, cause that would spoil the whole god damn plot...

Episode Score: 9.3

Evil Plans

Evil plans! With the Jedi Council
focused on the war effort, criminal minds
are left unchecked to spread fear and
corruption. Galactic gangster Jabba the
Hutt has sent bounty hunter Cad Bane on
a nefarious mission, which shall strike
at the heart of the Republic. Meanwhile,
the unsuspecting citizens of Coruscant
go about their daily lives....

One word would be enough to describe this episode; Awesome! In the middle of a shopping trip on Coruscant C-3PO is kidnapped by the bounty hunter Cad Bane. Bane is looking for information about the Senate building, and he thinks that C-3PO has them... (I laughed) So when he finds out that C-3PO does not have the information, he starts searching for... You guessed it... R2-D2!

This episode is one of the best in the series thus far, as it is filled with droidish humor, and a simple, but still good plot!

Episode Score: 9.6/10

Coming soon:

Hunt for Ziro

If there is anything you would like to point out, feel free to do so, but please, dont come here to talk shit about the series... We all know that you love to rise your post count by talking crap, but please, do it somewhere else...

Last edited by Doelago; 11-07-10 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-10, 08:24 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I semi-like/hate this series. Not trying to post shit for the sake of it, just giving my opinion.

I like it for the character Cad Bane, the most badass bounty hunter since Jango Fett and who will be the best in the galaxy until Boba Fett becomes notorious. Any episode with Bane in it ill watch, he's that cool.

However I hate it for its depiction of Mandalorians. It took one of the best cultures in sci-fi, one of my favourites and a reason that I got interested in sci-fi in the first place, and turned them into pacifistic cowards and took away their warrior traditions. I thank whatever sane mind decided to make sure that these worthless New Mandalorians did not survive past the Clone Wars and that the real Mandalorians, the honourable warriors, did survive and retook their homeworld and re-established what it is to be a Mandalorian.

I also don't care for how General Grievous is portrayed in this series. He was a cunning general, a skilled tactician and a master warrior and jedi-killer. And they've turned him into an incompetent, overconfident moron who gets owned in every fight he is in and doesn't have the foresight to just kill the jedi, rather he takes them hostage and lets the other jedi rescue them. And the 1st season's 7th episode, when Ahsoka duels with Grievous... jedi masters and knights can barely even match Grievous and yet a padawan is able to fight him.. its sad what they've turned a classic like Grievous into.

Thats all ive got to say. Good reviews Doelago, this series isn't something that I like very much but it has its moments. But when this series did what it did to the Mandalorians it instantly killed my interest in it, they were the gateway that got me interested in science fiction and seeing this.. it makes me sick. But still, good reviews. You should write some more, perhaps with more detail. In fact TV show reviews might not be a bad idea for the future, (noting it down).

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-10, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Thanks for the comment, it was a very good one, with several good points, so you deserve this little gift of cocaine, erh, reputation...

The point I disagree with you about it the Grievous thing; He was overpowered in the old Clone Wars TV series, but that one was kind of crappy at times, so I dont really care... Clones are the thing I want from the series, and there was some pretty good Clone action in the Grievous episodes...

I should write more reviews, with more detail? ... Hmm... How much detail? I dont want to spoil the whole story like I did in my book review... http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...364#post759364 [Read at your own risk]

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 10-17-10 at 09:43 PM.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-10, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Thought that I could post up the preview for the next episode:

Looks like a good episode

Last edited by Doelago; 10-18-10 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Cause of my failure?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Added the reviews for the rest of the episodes in season 3, and overall it has been good this far, but there have been some small letdowns...

Also, here is the Celebrations V trailer for the Clone Wars:

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 03:09 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Must... restrain... Original Trilogy Fanboy rage... must...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Must... restrain... Original Trilogy Fanboy rage... must...

Lol, I am a fan of the new movies, and the Clone Wars series, as in my opinion the Clone Wars era is the most interesting of them all!

Back to the news, or they are not news anymore, but still, I thought that I do post up some pictures of the DVD and Blu-Ray boxes of Season 2.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Two will be available October 26 for the suggested retail price of $44.98 for DVD and $59.99 for Blu-ray.

Quote:
Bonus features include a look inside the Lucasfilm vaults, with featurette interviews along with Director and Artist commentaries on each disc. In addition, The Complete Season Two includes a 68-page production journal with concept designs, original sketches and notes from Supervising Director Dave Filoni. And exclusive to the Blu-ray disc, The Jedi Temple Archives provides in-depth access to an extensive database of creative materials.

Wow, I think I will have to get a Blu-Ray DVD player soon!!

Last edited by Doelago; 10-18-10 at 03:57 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

More "news":

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/001108.html

[Facepalm]

The video was a total failure, but I think I will be picking up the Cody and Rex ones, but the rest - Not so sure...

To more serious "news":

Quote:
Readers who've been over to our Clone Wars landing page in recent weeks may have noticed a new weekly feature that's been quietly updating with every new Clone Wars episode since the Season 3 premiere: Clone Cards!

The digital cards, many old-school fans may notice, have a decidedly retro look. "The Empire Strikes Back Topps trading cards from the '80s were the main inspiration," says StarWars.com designer Craig Drake. "The beautiful print imperfections really give those so much character. The Clone Wars has a very polished modern look, so placing our characters in a 'dusted' retro presentation is a great way to see them in a different light."

With the fronts and backs of the cards containing scanned elements from the actual 1980 Topps cards (be sure to click the "plus" sign in the lower right corner of the cards to view the full detail), fans can expect to see vehicle and ship cards soon, just like on the originals. Currently, up to five new cards are added to the deck each week, which will continue through the end of Season 3 and perhaps beyond.

There are no plans yet in place to have physical "retro Clone Wars" cards printed up, but you never know (there are plans, however, to release a set of Season 3 desktop wallpapers based on the retro card design -- stay tuned!). The StarWars.com production crew wants to encourage readers to sound off in the comments section below with their favorite cards as well as which characters they'd like to see from the entire series (including Seasons 1 and 2)!

Head on over and check out the latest Clone Cards added to the deck!

I have not understood what they are trying to get out of it, but personally I think that I will be printing out the whole collection and use them as quick reference and info cards to be displayed beside my action figures...

Last edited by Doelago; 10-18-10 at 09:39 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-10, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Quote:
She's BACK! Left for dead after her failed gambit at the end of The Clone Wars<' second season, deadly assassin Aurra Sing has returned -- and she's out to redistribute the balance of power in "Assassin," an all-new episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- airing at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT Friday, October 22 on Cartoon Network.
Tasked with protecting Senator Amidala during a political mission to Alderaan, Ahsoka Tano is plagued by recurring visions of Sing's return. Unable to clear her mind, Ahsoka begins to worry that the stress of war is finally taking its toll on her -- until the blood-letting assassin reveals herself with an attempt on Amidala's life. And after their last confrontation left Sing humbled, humiliated and presumed dead, the lean and mean bounty huntress is only happy for a chance at a rematch with the young Padawan...

"Aurra never dies. She gives what she takes and she kind of enjoys it," laughs Jaime King (My Bloody Valentine 3D, Sin City, The Spirit), who voices Sing in The Clone Wars. "She does have a bad taste in her mouth [after the events of Season Two], but rather than being bitter and angry, she is doing what she needs to do. It's a very cut-and-dried thing for her. Everything that happens makes her more intense and ruthless. She says bring it."

Sing's cruelty and merciless methods have certainly made her a favorite among fans; fascinating audiences with her blink-and-you'll-miss-it introduction in the live-action Episode I, she's since been elevated into the upper echelons of Star Wars icons. Her distinctive appearance -- creepy yet seductive -- plays into that mystique, giving her a visual flair that complements her ruthless demeanor.

"She's long and lean and lanky, but she has curves. She's perfect," says King. "She's got those long fingers; they're spidery like she is. Predatory. Her physicality is very much a part of her, and it's sexy. There are so many people who aren't inherently beautiful, but their qualities and gifts make them so stunning. It's the It Factor, and Aurra's got It. Men love her because she's hot and badass, and women love her because she's strong and badass. There aren't a lot of strong female characters like Aurra."

Still, while Sing may be "badass," that doesn't necessarily mean that she's all bad, according to King. She may not necessarily be a friendly, compassionate type, but Sing nonetheless has a backstory that provides the drive behind her bad behavior, But don't expect a comprehensive explanation of those motivations anytime soon.

"There's a history we haven't been told," says King. "It's up to George [Lucas] and Dave [Filoni] what they choose to show. I have my ideas, but those are secrets I like to hold on to; those are the layers that inform the character when I'm playing her. I'm never just pretending; it's my job to understand why she does what she does, so that it comes from a place of truth. Each episode reveals more. It's Star Wars; it touches lives, and I believe it will last forever. I love that.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-10, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
The point I disagree with you about it the Grievous thing; He was overpowered in the old Clone Wars TV series, but that one was kind of crappy at times, so I dont really care... Clones are the thing I want from the series, and there was some pretty good Clone action in the Grievous episodes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ffp...eature=related
Honestly Doelago, that video really serves to prove Lord of the Night right in his thoughts about the general. He just stood there and rambled on with Obi-wan who was being forced back. It would have been no trouble to completely overpower such an enemy and end the problem that he is, but instead he did nothing and eventually the jedi beat the guard.

Seriously, thats a kind of incompetence and arrogance that makes the character so much worse than he should be. Come on, he infiltrated the core of the republic, took the chancelor hostage, evaded capture, defeated countless enemies along the way, and got off the planet. He'd have fucking gotten away and truly won that battle had one of the various republic fleets not made it back in time.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode