Judge Dredd Reboot - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-10, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Judge Dredd Reboot

A few months ago, May to be precise, Rebellion and 2000AD have confirmed that a brand new Judge Dredd film is in production. It will be in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagner
"I have read the script (by Alex Garland) and seen Jock’s visuals. While I can’t go into detail about the content I can say that it’s high-octane, edge of the seat stuff, and gives a far truer representation of Dredd than the first movie. I hated that plot. It was Dredd pressed through the Hollywood cliché mill, a dynastic power struggle that had little connection with the character we know from the comic."
So far Karl Urban has been confirmed to play Judge Dredd. It sounds like its gonna be awesome. And the first piece of concept art has been released, looks excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010709_judgedreddjpg.jpg (29.8 KB, 15 views)

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-10, 02:42 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

I didn't think the first one was that bad, but I've never read the comics, so that might explain it. It's something I'd watch if it were on TV, but not rent or go to the theater for.
Karl Urban is a good actor, I think. I liked him in Doom, Pathfinder and his performance as Bones was one of the few things I liked in Star Trek, so I'm interested to see how this pans out. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-10, 07:33 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

The origional Judge Dredd film was a wasted opportunity. The first thing to remember is that never, and I mean NEVER did Judge Dredd take of his helmet. They tried to put too many storylines in one film. And they had Silvester Stylone as Judge Dredd? Plus the stupid comedy sub plot. There were also massive story changes from the orgional comics such as Judge Dredds brother being in prison a on Titan, the moon around Saturn.

The only good thing in the film were the bikes and Joe Pineapple the ABC warrior (The ABC warriors would make an awesome film all by themselves.)

They better do a good job this time!!!

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-10, 07:37 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I thought the first film was good fun, but it wasn't Dredd at all. As Humakt said, Comic book films are really often hugely missed oppurtunities because they don't get into the tone of the characters properly.

If they can pull it off i'd love to see a proper JD movie.

I AM THE LAW! - of course you are Sly

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-10, 10:58 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
The only good thing in the film were the bikes and Joe Pineapple the ABC warrior (The ABC warriors would make an awesome film all by themselves.)

They better do a good job this time!!!
It looked more like Hammer-stein than Joe.

Joe Pineapples was more cool than H-stein by far.
Given the GW Vindicare assassin seems to be an homage to the Kev Walker (or was it Biz?) version.

The visuals of MC1 in the first movie were cool. Dredd removing his helmet, not so cool. The comedy was too slapstick and not deadpan enough.

I'll keep an eye out for this one - purely as a fan of old stoney-face.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-10, 12:34 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
The first thing to remember is that never, and I mean NEVER did Judge Dredd take of his helmet.
To be fair, Stallone insisted on taking the helmet off to get face time. Same reason James Purefoy turned down the role of V in V for Vendetta. Some actors don't want to work unless they are getting their face out there. Hopefully the studio will grow a pair this time and keep the helmet on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-10, 03:08 PM

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post

Y'IM THE LAW! - of course you are Sly
Fixed ;-) Man, joe Pineapples was by far the best thing about it. I read Judge Dredd for years and was so disappointed by it. Taking off his lid, getting all mushy with the... Judge Anderson was it? the lass? can't remember it's been that long.

The Bike was pretty good, the one in the comics always looked a little... meh...

Fingers crossed for this one! :-D I wait with baited breath!

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-10, 04:51 PM

Turkeyspit's Flag is: Canada

I like Karl Urban - I really do.

I enjoyed him in Doom, Riddick part deux, LoTR, pretty much everywhere I've seen him.

BUT....Sly did a perfectly acceptable job as Judge Dread. Does this movie really need to be 'remade'? I actually picked it up in the bargain bin a few weeks back, and it still looks great.

- sound track? stellar!
- Rob Schneider? still a tool
- "I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!" almost as epic as something Arnold would have said.

I hate this 'reboot for the sake of reboot' trend that Hollywood has embarked on these past few years.

Night of the Living Dead needed to be remade (and the remake was awesomesauce), but I preferred the original Halloween, V was better back when Marc Singer showed us his perky-pecs, and Clash of the Titans...well, whoever decided that the remake was fit for distribution should be drawn & quartered by dump-trucks.

The only reboot I even consider to be palatable (if not outright superior) is the Batman Begins / Dark Knight series, but only because the original material was just so bad, the directors had an easy time of it.

Note: I am referring to the movie for the movie's sake. I have never read the graphic novel / comic, so if people feel the Sly movie wasn't true/inferior to the comic, that would be an acceptable reason for a remake.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 01:10 AM

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-10, 09:49 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins1878 View Post
getting all mushy with the... Judge Anderson was it? the lass?
Judge Hershey.
He even calls her "Hershey".

There was no Anderson in that movie.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode