Inception - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 12:35 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
SPOILER ALERT

Just seen this movie.
Did anyone else hate it?

After seeing all of the reviews and people that rated it as one of the best movies of all time i was expecting it to blow my mind.
However, it was so full of plot holes and pointless crap that i had to face palm a couple of times.

There was ZERO character development for any of the characters besides him. The girl just basically dropped her whole life (which we know nothing about) to help some random guy in his dream. All of the other characters were like that.

And why was it that he could affect what happened in other peoples dreams, but nobody else could? The only explanation i can think of is that the entire movie was one of his dreams. If not, then its just another one of the massive plot holes that was overlooked.

And what was with all the action? I didn't see why the hell there were so much gunfire in the dreams. I know they were from the guy they were trying to implant the "idea", but it just seemed like a lame excuse to put guns in the movie to appeal to all the braindead people that cant THINK, and would rather just watch shit get blown up.

And the whole thing about dreams inside dreams, inside dreams, inside dreams...
And the fact that if they died they went to limbo...
The only reason i can see for the drug is just to add tension, but does nothing for the logistics of the story.
And why not let that guy die? He was only in 1 layer, and going by their mathematics he would spend bugger all time in limbo.

Sorry for the rant.
Yes, the movie was better than a majority of the other garbage that has come out this year, but in no way was it a "good" movie.
The idea was good, but it seemed like they destroyed the idea by turning it into an action film instead.

This movie would have been a LOT better if they made it a drama instead of an action, got rid of all of the guns in the movie, and actually focused more on the idea of the dreams and the character development.
I watched it last night too and thought exactly the same thing.

My opinion is that they wanted to recrete something along "Matrix" terms and figured dreams would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 12:46 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I watched it last night too and thought exactly the same thing.

My opinion is that they wanted to recrete something along "Matrix" terms and figured dreams would work.
Exactly.

They are too busy thinking about the money, and "dumb down" some brilliant movie ideas so that they appeal to all the dumb people with an IQ of 80 that just want to see shit get blown up.

The Matrix was the same. The first one was a brilliant idea (though it still had its flaws). The next two were just action bullshit that was made PURELY to make money off the name.
If they took the essential parts of the idea of the matrix itself from the 2nd and 3rd movie, and added it into the first movie by taking out the gay action scenes, it would have been an amazing film.

post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
SPOILER ALERT

Just seen this movie.
Did anyone else hate it?

After seeing all of the reviews and people that rated it as one of the best movies of all time i was expecting it to blow my mind.
However, it was so full of plot holes and pointless crap that i had to face palm a couple of times.

There was ZERO character development for any of the characters besides him. The girl just basically dropped her whole life (which we know nothing about) to help some random guy in his dream. All of the other characters were like that.

And why was it that he could affect what happened in other peoples dreams, but nobody else could? The only explanation i can think of is that the entire movie was one of his dreams. If not, then its just another one of the massive plot holes that was overlooked.

And what was with all the action? I didn't see why the hell there were so much gunfire in the dreams. I know they were from the guy they were trying to implant the "idea", but it just seemed like a lame excuse to put guns in the movie to appeal to all the braindead people that cant THINK, and would rather just watch shit get blown up.

And the whole thing about dreams inside dreams, inside dreams, inside dreams...
And the fact that if they died they went to limbo...
The only reason i can see for the drug is just to add tension, but does nothing for the logistics of the story.
And why not let that guy die? He was only in 1 layer, and going by their mathematics he would spend bugger all time in limbo.

Sorry for the rant.
Yes, the movie was better than a majority of the other garbage that has come out this year, but in no way was it a "good" movie.
The idea was good, but it seemed like they destroyed the idea by turning it into an action film instead.

This movie would have been a LOT better if they made it a drama instead of an action, got rid of all of the guns in the movie, and actually focused more on the idea of the dreams and the character development.
I do agree about the limbo concept, that did get quite difficult to follow, but otherwise i can't remember that many more plot holes. There were a lot of open ended ideas, but like you said there is a possibility the whole film was within his dream, and they needed to be there to make the ending work.

I thought the action was brilliant. They could have played it safe and done the whole film as a drama, but the film is about a 'heist' and the dangers accompanying this are manifested in the dreams as one would expect in a real robbery.

As for character development, i thought they did plenty for what was required for the film to work. The actors did a very good job conveying their personalities and relationships through the expositional dialogue that was littered through the scenes, rather than stopping the flow of the film to explain who everyone was.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 06:06 AM

aquatic_foible's Flag is: Great Britain

i rather enjoyed Inception, in spite of my dislike for Leo Dicaprio as an actor. Tom Hardy's performance was phenomenal [can't wait to see what role he plays in The Dark Knight Rises]. also, it spawned the truly hilarious South Park episode "Insheeption"!

all together now, "DUM DA DUM DA DA DUM DUM, BWAAAGH..."

current wip -
dark angels seventh company
skaven horde
the warriors of ulthuan

foible - foi·ble / ˈfoibəl
noun: a minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character:
"they have to tolerate each other's little foibles".
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 06:44 PM

Emet, Paladin of Truth's Flag is: USA

Bwaaagh!!!

Have you ever felt so at one with the world, with the universe, with everything that is, that you were overcome with love?

That is reality. That is the truth. What we make of it is up to us.

-One by Richard Bach
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 08:07 PM
ROT

ROT's Flag is: Djibouti

Location: Essex, that shit hole you drive through to get to london.

Quote:
Exactly.

They are too busy thinking about the money, and "dumb down" some brilliant movie ideas so that they appeal to all the dumb people with an IQ of 80 that just want to see shit get blown up.

The Matrix was the same. The first one was a brilliant idea (though it still had its flaws). The next two were just action bullshit that was made PURELY to make money off the name.
If they took the essential parts of the idea of the matrix itself from the 2nd and 3rd movie, and added it into the first movie by taking out the gay action scenes, it would have been an amazing film.
Dumb down? Grown people were walking out of the cinema baffled by it.

They weren't trying to prove to people inception is real... for the fact that it's such a ridiculous idea, it was pulled off amazingly.

They didn't NEED to spend time explaining it, it flowed perfectly.

I can't even think of how people didn't like Inception... best film of 2010, one of the best films of all time.

Yes there were plot holes, but that's why you should just use your imagination, before calling 90% of people stupid, with an IQ of 80.

A film doesn't get to IMDB's 5th film of all time, in 3 months for nothing - either you're genuinely blind to the obvious genius of the film, or you're arrogantly opposing, to seem like a superior.

This film CANNOT be knocked, it was too good.

The guy who wishes he never sold all his warhammer. Haha. Such is life.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-10, 09:00 PM

Emet, Paladin of Truth's Flag is: USA

all cocks can be knocked.

that being said I liked the movie. much of cheese's complaints are either to be expected or wrong. (ie: leo wasn't the only guy who could change the dream- the girl designed it, remember? and that one commercial- "you mustn't be afraid to dream a bit bigger" *big fricken gun*)

I wouldn't classify it as 'action' rather 'mind-blower' (yes, cheese, it BLOWS your mind. ha ha, we're all laughing)

and, of course, BWAAAGH

Have you ever felt so at one with the world, with the universe, with everything that is, that you were overcome with love?

That is reality. That is the truth. What we make of it is up to us.

-One by Richard Bach

Last edited by Emet, Paladin of Truth; 12-20-10 at 09:03 PM.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-10, 10:14 AM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I finally watched this film last night and have to say not too impressed. It was filmed very well I will give it that, there where some jaw dropping moments. But I just did not enjoy the story. I also dont see what was so deep about it, people told me it had a mind fuck story with tons of twists and turns and I really did not see that.
It was a good film but no where near what people made it out to be. I would give it a 6/10

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-21-10, 10:05 PM

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

My favorite movie. If you havn't seen it, slap your forehead now!

And did you know when they filmed the scene with the gravity flipping (in the hotel) they really built a room that turned upside down so the actors would HAVE to react to it (realistically)

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 08:30 AM
ROT

ROT's Flag is: Djibouti

Location: Essex, that shit hole you drive through to get to london.

Been trying to convince my dad and sister to watch it for days, we have it on blu-ray now, no reason not to!!

They don't understand how epic it is.

The guy who wishes he never sold all his warhammer. Haha. Such is life.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode