New Dr Who? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-10, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence96 View Post
But for the love of god why bring back the daleks again? yes okay they're decent villians but they've been completely and utterly destroyed about 4 or 5 times. either kill em off or don't, again stop the bloody yoyo-ing.
This episode wasn't more of the 'yoyo-ing' as you put it; this was the legitimate resurrection of the Daleks. They didn't come back only to be defeated by the doctor, they came back and outsmarted him.

This episode was important in that unlike the other ones of the new series featuring the Daleks, one or a small handfull didn't just barely manage to escape to be the last of the Daleks. They got away with the capability to become strong again, which means they will no longer be on the verge of extinction like before. Its a whole new threat, because sooner or later, there will be more than five of them.

Episode three did just as you said above, it finally made the choice of completely kill them off or don't. not only were they not killed off, but they have a means to rebuild; and that can have terrible repercussions in the times to come.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-10, 05:05 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Its a whole new threat, because sooner or later, there will be more than five of them.

Episode three did just as you said above, it finally made the choice of completely kill them off or don't. not only were they not killed off, but they have a means to rebuild; and that can have terrible repercussions in the times to come.
And the name of that threat is The New Dalek Empire.The Daleks have the capabilities now to regain the power they had in the old series of Doctor Who, rather then being the last survivors of a dying race.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-10, 01:50 PM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

Okay fair enough they did make the choice, But it was again a change in in their status, that's the yoyo-ing i was refering to. I do hope that they keep them this time, if only so they don't have to make even more improbable ways to bring them back.

BTW does anyone know where the 2 daleks who were in last weeks episode actually came from?

Quisnam praesumo, successio
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-10, 08:43 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I must say tonights episode of Doctor Who was amazing. The Weeping Angels are without a doubt the greatest new villain in Doctor Who, and one of the best villains overall, surpassed only by the Daleks in my view. And the beginning with the museum was very funny, the Doctor keeping score.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 04-24-10 at 08:46 PM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-10, 09:25 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Definitely improved with the return to a good script. I'd still rather have seen Eccleston or Tennant playing the part, but the new guy does a tolerable job. I don't want to see the Angels become a regular "enemy" though, I think it would be best if they finished this off and then left it at that. Maybe do another isolated episode in a few seasons time. Some protagonists work best when they only appear briefly, like the mimicking life form when Tennant got trapped on that tour bus. No explanation of how, or why, but very very creepy. Probably rated my second favourite out of Tennant's run.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-25-10, 07:46 AM

ElTanko's Flag is: United Kingdom

I agree that the weeping angels are a fantastic creation, they creep the hell outta me anyway! I thought yesterdays episode was really good and I have to say so far I think Matt Smith is doing a really good job, he certainly had big shoes to fill. I feel he can be a little erratic at times, but I guess he is a little crazy after all he's seen so it's acceptable!
Looking forward to next weeks episode and will never look at statues the same again!!

ElTanko

p.s Amy Pond is well foxy!!
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-26-10, 09:07 AM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally i reckon that River is going to be the doctors clone/daughter thing (S4: E6)

Quisnam praesumo, successio
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-26-10, 11:58 AM

Phrazer's Flag is: Wales

Ye, Sat nights episode was the first one of the new series i REALLY enjoyed... the other (apart from the first one which i thought was ok) have been pretty poor imo, but tbh i dont think its been Smiths fault, more the stories have been a little bit poor. Anyway cant wait for next weeks now!!

Ms Pond is loooovely... gimme gimme gimme !!!!

Real Men/Women/Aliens/Heretics/Warp Spawned Filth/Big Scary Space Monsters play Battlefleet Gothic... why dont you???

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-26-10, 01:07 PM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Oi, You! Get back in the line.

I liked her first. Got a 'firm' (fnar! fnar!) spot for redheads. :D

Like Amy, not so keen on Smith.

Will give it time. Still, it is better than watching Stargate: Universe (some of that cast surely traded their professional dignity for bill payments).

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode