Soloman Kane review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Soloman Kane review

Wow this has to be the best film your not gonna get to see this year, also happens to be what i would consider an accurate representation of the warhammer fantasy world. I think Robert E Howards writing clearly influenced GW and the in turn its possible GW influenced the writers of the screen play.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-10, 08:22 AM

dobbins's Flag is: England

Saw this film last night, have to agree with B&K when he says its the best film you won't see, as it is an independent film. However, the fact that it is an independent film is not a bad thing. For one, the film is character driven, the acting is to a very high standard and the film doesn't rely on big CGI set-pieces to woo the audience; although there are a couple of scenes in the film which use it heavily. Second, because CGI is used sparingly and to good effect is means that the action is comprised of swordplay and more realistic action. If you can you should check it out as it will put all the big blockbuster action films that will be coming out in the summer to shame despite having a fraction of their budget.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-10, 02:51 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was considering going to watch it, you two may well have just made the decision for me I'll check it out this coming week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-10, 08:12 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Went to see it yesterday, and really liked it. As B&K said, it is very like the warhammer world. The final scene, with that cross between a blood thirster and avatar was pretty cool.

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-10, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Forgot to mention its very violent and bloody, which i was surprised considering its only a 15 rating in th uk,Very true to robert e howards work that i have read in the past.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 09:14 AM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I know I am dragging this thread from the depths but I saw this film last night so want to comment on it.

I have heard good things about this film from this forum so I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it yes there was not much plot but the setting was awesome. I enjoyed the dark atmosphere it had going.
All you would need to do is change a few words and it could have been a WFB movie.
Change the Devil to Khorne and have Kane trying to be peaceful so Khorne does not get his soul. Dont really need to change the bad guys could easily be Chaos marauders.
I mean he even has a awesome Witch Hunter hat and we know all there power comes from there hat.

But yea great film would encourage anybody to watch it. Its on Xbox's Sky player is anybody has that. Go and watch this film and buy the DVD.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 09:19 AM

Dagmire's Flag is: United Kingdom

I thought the film crap.
Poor story line and no real plot progesion. lokked coll though

Please listen to my PODCAST

http://www.theoverlords.co.uk/podcast/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraknarn
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 07:41 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I really liked the film, got it on DVD months ago, I felt that its a really good action film that doesn't rely on CGI to make it good, though the CGI they do use is excellent. In fact on the DVD there is a single deleted scene that was cut because it added nothing to the plot, it just features Kane entering a cave filled with the marauders and killing them all in an epic sword fight.

Overall, a very good film and I look forward to the next one. I read somewhere official that this is the first of a trilogy, I hope thats true because this could be a really good series.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 12:22 AM

Hachiko's Flag is: USA

I've been dying to see this movie. I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to watch. I really like James Purefoy after I saw his work in Rome, wouldn't say he's my exact description of Kane. But from a cinematic perspective he fits the bill nicely.
Solomon Kane is my fave Howard character. Bar none the BL work most inspired by the SK stories is C.L.Werner's Matthias Thulmann Witch Hunter series. I read the first book, Witch Hunter, and loved it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 03:32 AM

I really didn't like it that much...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode