the Wolfman Review (spoilers) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default the Wolfman Review (spoilers)

Well i have to admit i was looking forward to this movie for quite some time as i was a huge fan of the 1941 version of the movie, But I couldn't say with complete conviction that i enjoyed this film. It had alot of good points, such as it stuck quite close to the accepted "wolfman" story,when he changes, he turns in to a "wolfman" and not a wolf and most importantly this isnt a film were the "monster" is just an emo teen with a crush or some other Hollywood romance bullshit that seems to be draining the life out of vampires at the moment. The film is gritty, nasty, violent, gory, has excellent special effect, some very jump out of your seat moments, the sets and costumes and cast were all excellent.

What let it down was it felt rushed, the story seemed to skip from full moon to full moon, not enough time was given to character development,back grounds were touched on but not delved into in any detail, and at some point the male and female leads fall in love but i must have blinked and missed when that happened even though its a fairly important plot point.
I have wonder if the cinema version of the movie was the writers and directors vision or if this was what the studio decided to release, because it feels as though the writer and director care about the movie considering some of the detail and effort they have gone to, but the film flows like its had some of the dialogue and plot removed and is just a lot of cut together action scenes to get it near to 1 hour 40.

One of the best parts of the movie are the various transformation scenes, i judge werewolf transformations based on what we see in American werewolf in london in the flat, granted that was made in 1981 and was very pre CGI but stood the test of time pretty well, the wolfman delivers great transformations several times, focusing on different parts of the body, but the best change is the eyes,flawless change from human to wolf eyeball on screen without a blink. Then again the reason the transformations are so damn good is because the guy who did the prosthetic for American werewolf was the same guy doing the wolfman, hats off to Rick Baker.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 01:57 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Will have to agree with you on all points, including looking forward to it.

The movie was pushed back in the calendar 3 or possibly 4 times, for re-shoots and re-editing apparently, so it's highly likely that the studio were looking for something other than the director/writer originally intended.

I got the feeling a few scenes were just there to satisfy the 'new horror' audiences, particularly the cutaway-jumpy-moment parts. There's also some jarring scenes when they switch between deadly serious dialogue, and campy horror fun, with no real transistion.

The three leads were really good and the effects were spot on. I wouldn't recommend it, but if there is an extended DVD or directors cut it's most likely one worth checking out.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 10:53 AM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

I am going to see this this week hopefully, am really looking forward to it as im a big fan of Werewolves. I am however not to sure wether or not I shall enjoy it, but when I do see it ill post a review up here.

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode