Avatar for an oscar? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Avatar for an oscar?

With Avatar recently taking the golden globe for best picture, and now up for the academy award....do you think it deserves it?

From an entertainment and visual standpoint, Avatar totally blew me away. The vision for this film is spectacular, the art is simply stupendous and there is some real magic in the crafting of Cameron's baby.

On the flip side, the script and plot, and to a lesser extent the acting and cinematography, leave a lot to be desired. There's no doubts from me that Avatar is a worthy contender, but i feel some of the other runners offer a more consistently excellent package.

So, who gets your vote?

Nominees:
  • The Blind Side
  • District 9
  • An Education
  • The Hurt Locker
  • Inglourious Basterds
  • Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire
  • A Serious Man
  • Up
  • Up in the Air

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 01:04 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I don't think it deserves it at all, its completely overhyped, just like the bullshit about it being one of the highest grossing films, theres a reason for that, when Titanic came out tickets were about £5, these days tickets are about £8, so obviously if 100 people saw titanic for £500, 100 people seeing avatar earns it £800, that does not mean its a better or more popular movie.

but nothing in that list gets my vote, nothing has come out in a long time to make £8 for a chair worthwhile, especially not district 9 and inglorious bastards, 2 of the worst movies I have seen in all time.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 02-06-10 at 01:17 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 01:09 AM

Avatar held me down and stomped the visual part of my brain in like it was an empty coke can
but i have to say i enjoyed district 9 and UP a lot more from a plot/script perspective
up in the air was just depressing
inglorious bastards was alright (not a huge fan)
the blind side was a bit to... bleh (as professional term )

so for me its a three way tie between UP, district 9 and avatar

I liked Blood Angels before they were cool

"infantry, whose only function in Epic is to provide valuable traction to Titans walking across snowy paths."

Last edited by raverboi; 02-06-10 at 01:11 AM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
when Titanic came out tickets were about £5, these days tickets are about £8
Don't forget the 3D mark up, it's about £10

Regardless of inflation, it's still the first film in 13 years to take that much cash.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 10:21 AM
blahblahblahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Don't forget the 3D mark up, it's about £10

Regardless of inflation, it's still the first film in 13 years to take that much cash.
but how much money it takes should not be how they judge a movie to be bad or good, they should judge it by how many tickets were actually sold to see that movie.

heck I don't don't know many people who actually saw it, and less who actually enjoyed it.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 11:41 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't think anyone's opinion qualifies unless they've seen every film listed.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-10, 12:43 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Quote:
but how much money it takes should not be how they judge a movie to be bad or good, they should judge it by how many tickets were actually sold to see that movie.

heck I don't don't know many people who actually saw it, and less who actually enjoyed it.
Same here, Ive heard, that, admittedly the graphics - to put into a short term - are unbelievable, but generally, thats all the film has going for it.

I can see it defenetly winning Oscar, perhaps two, but it wont clear up like LoTR or Slum-dog Millionaire have....

District 9 has to get my vote, its a generally good balanced film, but A) its setting in South Africa is a change from your usual American setting (Independance Day) and B) its inner, Apartheid related meaning, makes it deeper, and more enjoyable than a One (although WHAT A ONE) dimensional, one-trick pony of a film.... `though the spoof is good-

I still love Hudson from Aliens....

Last edited by bobss; 02-06-10 at 12:50 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-10, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree you can't judge if it's bad or good by the money it's taken, because that's entirely subjective.

I think it will outsell titanic on tickets though. The 3D version is playing in a lot less screens than any other blockbuster would normally be. It's going to continue taking money for at least another month when alice is released. The 3D one is the only one making money though, so the gimmick is critical to it's success.

Quote:
I can see it defenetly winning Oscar, perhaps two, but it wont clear up like LoTR or Slum-dog Millionaire have....
I'd happily give Avatar all the visual effects awards....but for best picture i'd have to go Hurt locker.

Avatar would probably be 6th on my list, and I haven't seen 3 of the films.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-10, 02:24 PM
blahblahblahblah

I don't even see how the WD aspect was much of a gimmick, from what I was told by the only 2 people I know who saw it in 3D say it wasn't really 3D, it was only a few scenes that were and the rest were normal, seems a bit of a rip off.

although I remember the days when 3D was a gimmick for kids cartoons because kids don't care that it looks rather meh and is blue and red, not motion pictures

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 02-07-10 at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-10, 06:33 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I was very skeptical about seeing anything in 3D because of the gimmick in the 80s , Avatar in 3D was nothing like it and it does not use the red and blue shifted picture to achieve 3D. The effect is constant all the way though, but its also subtle in places, by that i mean you should have absorbed yourself into the environment rather than having things constantly coming at the screen to show its "3D".

That aside it has eclipsed titanic in money taken , mainly due to the 3D premium , and ticket wise its only done about half of titanics sales, but bear in mind this is SciFi, which is the realm of the Geek, Titanic was in essence a love story with a romantic Celine dion sound track dragging every woman from the four corners of earth to the cinema with a significant other kicking and screaming.

Oscar wise, couldnt really give a monkeys, the oscars rarely have anything to do with quality of a movie, they come across as the "business" clapping each other on the back and greasing each others palms. Im pretty certain any writer/director/producer/actor would prefer bums on seats than some gold plated statue, im fairly sure james cameron wont loose any sleep if Avatar does not pick up anything and im fairly certain he wont have to beg a studio for a budget for his next project.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode