Avatar for an oscar? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-10, 08:36 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Avatar blew me away with it's effects, and certainly deserves ocars for sound and visual effects, but best film? No chance. The acting wasn't great, the story was predictable, and compared to the Hurt Locker, it just simply doesn't match up.

As for Inglorious Basterds, that certainly shouldn't be on the list. Pitt was very good, but it was just another ego trip for Tarantino.

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
As for Inglorious Basterds, that certainly shouldn't be on the list. Pitt was very good, but it was just another ego trip for Tarantino.
Personally i really liked it, i agree it's got a lot of tarantinos usual affectations, but to me it still came across as great film making. Christoph Waltz helped sealed the deal, performance of the year for me.

Quote:
I don't even see how the WD aspect was much of a gimmick
I meant gimmick in the sense that people are coming to see it just for the 3D. As B&K said, the 3D is supposed to draw you into the enviroment rather than go for cheap tricks with things jumping out at you. It's far and away the cleanest looking 3D so far.

Quote:
Oscar wise, couldnt really give a monkeys, the oscars rarely have anything to do with quality of a movie
Mostly agree, but they do surprise you now and again. I always find the oscars to be a really good talking point for movies and wanted to see what everyone here thought.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 01:34 AM

Shacklock's Flag is: England

I'll have to go for Inglorious Basterds, was a fairly standard Tarentino wasen't quite Reservoire Dogs or Pulp Fiction but still pretty damn good, District 9 was also refreshingly original so one of the two. But yeah Avatar doesent really deserve it, what -should- matter most is of course the storyline and lets face it Avatar's was hardly inspired, at least not to anyone with half a brain that doesent think of anything sci-fi far out and crazy original.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 11:51 AM

Guddijon's Flag is: Iceland

I don't think Avatar deserve the oscar. It was eye candy nothing more. Story wise it is Pocahontas in space. James Camron took a plot from a children's movie and made an adult movie the result was a one dimensional movie with bad characters like the incredibly original colonel Mr. Tuff-ass I-kill-you.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 02:22 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

For once I have actually seen every film on the nominees list.
Out those I would have to give best film to Hurt Locker. While i did like nearly all of the other ones that one just stood out the most for me.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 06:50 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Does Avatar deserve a Oscar? Definatly. However, I am slight biased in my thoughts, because in my opinion Avatar is the best film I have ever seen. I have not seen many of the others, however I have heard mixed reviews of them all, but over the next few days, I shall be looking those I have not seen up, so my decision might change come the end of the week

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 07:31 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

How anyone can think that deserves an Oscar is beyond me. Pocahontas meets Dances with Wolves / Last Samurai in space with an alien shagging cripple. Its a tired regurgitated plot, less Original than a British terrorist in a US production.

Lame.

Of the 6 films I've seen the Hurt Locker should win.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-10, 07:35 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post

How anyone can think that deserves an Oscar is beyond me. Pocahontas meets Dances with Wolves / Last Samurai in space with an alien shagging cripple.
You forgot Apocalypse Now!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-10, 03:03 AM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

They all suck (haven't seen the Hurt Locker)... I only watched Avatar for the visual effects, the story line was reminiscent of Fern Gully.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3349545241/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode