Avatar Rocks - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-29-09, 04:28 PM

bitsandkits: Best summary of star wars EVER! He he

http://www.bookstogonow.com/stonemindsfolly.html

Will the Stone Mind save humanity, or destroy it? Find out in my new short story at books to go now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-30-09, 04:23 PM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

I saw this film and absolutely loved it (I don't even begrudge paying £10 (!) for it - ok, I do... but not much). The effects were top-notch and all the characters made sense (as well as the security cheif being a complete bad-ass!).

I don't know why people are getting all pretentious about the story - you go write something original and I bet it'll be shit, so stop moaning.

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-30-09, 06:48 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop5 View Post
I don't know why people are getting all pretentious about the story - you go write something original and I bet it'll be shit, so stop moaning.
Story is anything but new, but thats not my gripe really. The characters were very two dimensional, no depth.

Still fantastic to watch though! And amazing in 3D!

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-30-09, 07:43 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
I liked the Colonel. The single most badass dude I've seen on screen for a while!
Gotta admit, he was a badass. Especially considering going out of the complex without an oxygen mask twice and living through getting shot by two or three of those big ass arrows for a few minutes.
CGI was awesome. All in all, one of my favorite movies

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-02-10, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop5 View Post

Charming...

People don't have to be scriptwriters to have an opinion on a plot. Also, one can be critical of something without being an expert at something. It's like saying:

"Stop compllaining that your house's roof fell off! You go and build a house!"

That said, I actually did like the film (a lot!), but others' complaints are just as valid.

http://www.bookstogonow.com/stonemindsfolly.html

Will the Stone Mind save humanity, or destroy it? Find out in my new short story at books to go now!
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 12:01 AM
Banned
NoiseMarine's Flag is: USA

Saw it in Imax 3D... Hands down one of the best movies ever. Especially during the end battle
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 02:50 AM

FatBoyFat's Flag is: England

I saw it today, it looks jaw dropping, amazing, I think it is a big leap forward in the world of cinema, I can understand where everyone is comming from with the story being a bit weak, and I gotta be honest, a little too much tree hugging for me, I feel like burning a few tires to make up for it. BUT on the other hand, it was really good, I enjoyed, it looked amazing and it just worked.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 02:59 AM

JDMJapan's Flag is: Japan

It was Sick!!!!

Nick
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 04:28 AM

Crimson Shadow's Flag is: USA

I had no notions about how the movie would be other than my wife refused to see it on the grounds of what she'd read "on the internet". People saying it was the Vietnam War meets Native American Oppression. But I mean honestly, you can force your own view on just about any movie or idea to make it fit whatever half-assed cause you're trying to champion at the moment. "The big tree falling is representative of 9/11." "The entire movie is a representation of capitalistic greed." Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer is really a story about the fickle public mentality and preconceived notions of normality, until a deformity is actually useful to society.

To be blunt, the characters were a little 2 dimensional yeah. But Cameron kept the movie going so it wasn't really a problem (I cite 5th Element, Love that movie but characters are fairly shallow, but it just keeps rolling). He told a story. He told it well. He was OCD enough to get a college professor to invent an actual language for the Na'Vi to speak, instead of typing out random gibberish and making them memorize it.

The story was formulaic and predictable. So what? Who didn't like Batman Begins because they knew how it was going to end? or Terminator 2? Or Rocky 3 or 4?

Bar none, Avatar was the most visually amazing movie I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what they do with Cameron's technology. And based on the money they've made, I'm curious if they're going to make a sequel. Standard Hollywood math says they need one out by the end of 2011.

It's the only movie that's come out all year that I would see a second time in the theaters.

That's my two cents anyway.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 06:36 AM

Kale Hellas's Flag is: Australia

people say the colour was amazing and its a great movie dont get me wrong but im partially colour blind so half the effect of that movie just went out the window and the only good thing was the giant bows taking out vehicles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode