DB's comedy review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-06-09, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Default DB's comedy review

Everyone loves to laugh, a funny show can light up the shitiest of evenings. There are a lot of fantastic comedy shows around on the tv today with shows such as house, family guy, futurama lighting up our lives.

However my review is first going to focus on some that have gradually faded into obscurity and thus I'm going to do db's comedy review, going through some of the comedy shows that have really put a smile on my face in the last few years.

__________________________________________________ ______________

For me at least I find alot of comedies have their moments that make you cry with laughter but they begin to fail as time goes on. So, I'm going to start off with one of the comedies that has been consistently funny since series 1 even though I have watched well into the 6th season and am still longing for more.

Allo Allo

Allo Allo is set in war torn france and follows the life of the cafe owner Rene Artois (played immaculately by Gordon Kaye) as he struggles to avoid the scrutiny of the germans, survive the mad plots of the resistance and more importantly to prevent his wife finding out he is having it off with both the servants.

The show is genuinely a laugh a minute and lasts about half an hour so its easy to fit into any time of a day and it is one of those comedies that you dont have to be in the mood to watch as it caters to humour types varying from pythonesque idiocy to one liners, word play and even light hearted sex play.

Plot wise the story is easy to follow and ever evolving with characters dropping out for a variety of ludicrous, hilarious and sensible reasons. Each episode co-ordinates with its predecessor and it is preferable to watch them in order. However the plot is easy to fit together due to Rene's opening monologue which are always comical bordering on hysterical and even if you are a little confused the jokes and easy flowing style keep you entertained.

The cast is exceedingly talented with even the supporting charactors having their own catchphrases and one liners to support the central figure of Gordon Kaye. In particular the german officers themselves including the Colonel Von Strom, Captain Geering and as the series go on Lieutenant Gruber put a comical spin upon the strained relationships of war time.

Lieutenant gruber who is a little this way and that, mostly that... has a hilarious secret and through out the series his acting is flawless as he tries to get what he desires. Of the Germans Herr Flick of the gestapo has to be commended for his absolute genius performances especially in the early seasons whilst his dry humour is a constant source of amusement. His gestapo style courtship of the stunning and hilarious helga is a brilliant part that never ceases to entertain.

Another reason I love allo allo is the sexual innuendo, the show thrives on the sexual tension of soldiers far from home in wartime making various jokes including the infamous egg whisk and wet celery. Luckily the cast do not leave it to jokes alone and their are flashes of hot chicks in lingerie to add to the sexual aspect of the show.

In all honesty millions of jokes are springing to mind right now from this show however i will leave it to some clips of some of my favourite moments of Allo Allo

I hope you enjoyed it. Comments and criticism always welcome and anyone that wishes to post on their own favourite comedy... feel free

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig

Last edited by deathbringer; 10-13-09 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-13-09, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

This next comedy is not a series or sitcom but actually more of a sketch show better known as

The Two Ronnies Skecthbook

The Two Ronnies were an Enlgish comedy duo that began in the 1970's and gripped England, quickly amassing over 20 million viewers. They used a mixture of light humour and excellent word play to create hilarious sketches that sent a nation rolling with laughter.

They are a typical double act, acting seemlessly with Ronnie Corbett (the short one) playing the straight guy and allowing Ronnie Barker to bounce his quick one liners and snappy comments.

Below are a few examples of their sketches and snappy wordplay. Enjoy

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode