Inglorious Basterds - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 04:36 AM

BloodAngelsfan's Flag is: USA

I just saw the movie half an hour ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The dialogue was good (I liked the use of different languages, however my cousin didn't because he had to read) It was funny with some decent action (not much). The part I thought was awkward was when Hitler started laughing his ass off watching Americans getting shot. And maybe when they carved a swastika into the Germans head.

Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough: “The current system of servitude is barbaric and inadequate for today's generation. We appeal to the leaders of both the Imperium and the Coalition of Hateful Assholes and Organised Sin to seek to change this for the betterment of all its citizens”

Lorgar: “Guess there was one plot thread we forgot to erase ...” Mortarion nods in agreement, while Ahriman looks on suspiciously.

Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough: “We feel trapped, we feel oppressed. And we urge our governments to release us from these metal boxes-”

Lorgar: “Oh shi-”

Firraveus Carron: Leaping to his feet. “METAL BOXES?!?METAL BOXES!!!THEY RIDE IN METAL BOXES!!!”

-Labor Unions

All credit goes to Lastie on Warseer, for writing Primarchs (available in a 647 page Microsoft Word document)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 06:57 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

That movie was pretty fucking awesome.
Some of the violence was pretty graphic (as said, they do show scalping, and of course, people are getting shot and killed), but there was a surprisingly small amount of it. There was more dialogue than a lot of people were expecting, but it was well done and they made a point to come up with reasons to switch to English whenever subtitle fatigue started setting in.

It was fucking hilarious. And not cheap laughs either. Deep, satisfying laughs. Evil laughs, "Take that you fucking Nazi Bastards!" kind of laughs. For a while after you'll find yourself just smiling and laughing now and then.

Anyone who can set aside some historical...license for the sake of making you go "Holy shit, that was awesome!" should see that movie. People with no sense of humor and too much love of historical minutia may not enjoy it as much.

My only real disappointment is that there wasn't a lot of time spent on the Basterds themselves. As said, about half of them disappear halfway through, and we really only get to see one or two real asskicking scenes with the fully assembled Basterds. There's some great scenes with them still, but it;s paired down to a few core members

I would LOVE to see a sequel/prequel/DVD extended cut of just more of the basterds doing their thing before Operation Kino.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-09, 08:08 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

I thought Inglourious Basterds was the only thing Tarentino ever shat out that was any good. Not only was it good, though; it was fucking sweet. Initially I wasn't too excited about it for three reasons: Pitt, Tarentino and Roth. Somehow, they pulled a great movie out of what could've easily been a crappily-acted pop-culture-circle-jerk intestine-gumbo-fest. That Landa dude was extremely well acted, and to me that was like the icing on the cake.

My favorite character was the Britt; his Crowning Moment of Awesome in the basement scene marked the point where the movie went from average action movie to totally awesome action movie.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-09, 07:10 AM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

I fucking loved it.

If you take Brad Pitt from Fight Club, put him in Kill Bill, and drop the whole damn thing into Nazi-occupied France, you'll have the very basic idea.

Yes, it would've been awesome to see the Basterds themselves a bit more. But the scenes in which they did show up were freakin' sweet.

Normally, I don't go for the 'America, fuck yeah!!' vibe so much, but when Nazis are involved, that all sort of goes to hell. I'll definitely be watching this flick again. And probably several dozen more times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-09, 04:17 PM
Executive Nitpicker

I hear the original cut was about three hours, so here's hoping the DVD will be more Basterdly

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-09, 04:44 PM

NagashKhemmler's Flag is: Australia

I hated it for two reasons:

Many people will believe this sort of bullshit to be true.

The America Fuckyeahism was way too high for me to stand.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-09, 06:34 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Since it involves the ending of the film I put my response in spoiler boxes.

As I said, if a few minor historical liberties for the sake of action/comedy are enough to completely turn you off, then you probably shouldn't see it.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-09, 10:45 PM
Tactless Tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
As I said, if a few minor historical liberties for the sake of action/comedy are enough to completely turn you off, then you probably shouldn't see it.
The problem is, you can;t really say why without giving the whole thing away.

For myself, I'm fine with a few liberties here and there, but the degreewhich they were employed here, is, frankly, silly.

Yeah, it's "Tarantino does WWII."

It's also symptomatic of every damned movie we've put out for a long time, Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line included....

Yeah, we did a lot in that war.

So did the U.K. (to say nothing of the Commonwealth States), the Soviet Union, and others. More than passing mention of their contributions here and there would be nice.

In essence, this is a movie by Yankees for Yankees.... and incapable of escaping Tarantino's disease of stamping his personality al over everything in neon.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-09, 03:55 PM
Executive Nitpicker

I still sway it was more about Jews than Americans...think about it. You rarely ever see a WW2 movie that even mentions Jews, let alone features them prominantly

The Americans are all portrayed as either utterly brutal to the point of warranting warcrimes trials of their own, or comically inept. The English character was actually pretty smooth and intelligent

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-31-09, 07:07 PM

Farseer Beltiac's Flag is: USA

I was gonna go see it here soon, don't know if I'll make it or not though

This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground sir. We're not going anywhere."
—SPARTAN-259

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode