Ugh action films.... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Default Ugh action films....

I like a good bit of actiopn in my movies, I loved transformers, batman, and the new star trek, however all those films had something in common, all the action sequences were moderetly believable.

The reason why I cant watch most action movies anymore are because of the action sequences, were average Joe Blow is sorrounded by 15 guys with macheine guns and hes beating the crap out of them with his bare fists, and if you watch them closely all the enemies throw punches one at a time or they choot like strait up and then down. And everyone in the theatre come out saying stuff like " that was so f*****g awesome! did you see that?

And when you confront one and say that average joe blow shoulda died 1500 times they say " well i could kill them but id use cover, or some shit " you just wanna throw them across a table and beat the shit outta them, ANYWAYS, what do you guys think about action movies nowadays?

( ps - i dont like space marine fluff for the same reason they never lose )

Last edited by zabo; 08-20-09 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 07:58 AM
cafel's Flag is: USA

Yeah that'd be awesome.

5 minutes in, lone hard boiled cop is confronted by 7 guys with machine guns. The commandos pin the cop, flank him and kill him in 15 seconds. Roll credits.

You need to have a suspension of disbelief for these films. Just go with the flow. Also occasionally the space marines do lose. They just lose in an awesome way.

Hive Fleet Hecatonchires

W:17 D:5 L:8 (Stupid Tau)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 12:23 PM

primeministersinsiter's Flag is: Canada

Re: Space Marine's never loose?
Check out the Lementors, the Astral Claws, The Crimson Fists, The Imperial Fists....
Also, I think Crank is one of the best action movies. It runs in the complete opposite direction to the 'realistic' action movie. By completely rejecting the real world, the audience is not asked to find reasons for the things happening on screen. We know from the get go that we're not watching Saving Private Ryan or Children of Men (both wicked movies with high degrees of realism). I think the filmmakers knew people were intelligent enough to understand that no human can do this, it's not real life, it's actually moving pictures with sounds.
And how is Batman beleivable? All of the Joker's plans in Darknight were convoluted and over complicated. Mind you I loved the movie.

"You left the objective? I see you have the tactical genuis of a soap dish."

Last edited by primeministersinsiter; 08-20-09 at 12:29 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 12:55 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like action films where the main character is doing the unbelievable but really struggling with it: eg where he's totally crapping his pants and basically writing his will but still fighting anyways.
Best examples are the Die Hards and Cliffhanger (still great movies)
Worst examples are anything with Van Damme in

If im in the mood I will quite happily watch a film which is just shooting/explosions with no plot and totally unbelievable- Arny or Sly films normally fit the bill

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 02:01 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I find it funny that you want believable then list a bunch of really unbelievable movies.
I would check out films like Ronin for more believable action or stay away from blockbusters.

But really Batman believable come on.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 05:49 PM

PandaPaws's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think to ask an action film to be believable is stretching the limits of possibility a little thin... you're average action film needs to be quite unrealistic to provide enough action to keep the viewer entertained! A basic storyline with easily introduced characters also helps.

Perhaps thrillers with action scenes could be a genre you should delve into!?

Just out of interest, can you give any examples of which films have a 'joe wiping out 15 guys'... might help to narrow things down. Oh and please do not put The Matrix down as an example.

Exodite Eldar (5th Ed):W - 3. D - 3. L - 5.
Angelis Nocturnus (5th Ed):W - 9. D - 5. L - 11.
Tale of Four Gamers (UK)
Tale of Four Gamers (UK) Battle Reports
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 09:27 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

To me its unbelieveable if, given the context of the film, the events just arent possible. Occasionally its the Stargate SG1 (I know there is a movie but for now I mean the TV series) or Starship Troopers effect- initially killing the enemy takes 5 people 100 shots but a short while later the same people become 'veterans' who can now kill 30 enemies with 1 magazine.

As for giving examples I can think of a perfect, if not quite right, example: Hot Shots Part Deau. Which spoofs exactly what this thread is about when the main character simply picks up a handful of bulletts and throws them at the enemy (killing them all).

The believeable examples of 15-1 are the Blades, Batmans, Supermans, Robocops and Equilibrium type films where the main guy is in some way special that means taking down armies of badguys just isnt that hard (superman vs the US army, you would still back superman).

I think the unbelievable are when people with a bit of 'training' can do the impossible. These include Jack Bauer in 24 (ok not a film.. but good example), Taken, the latter James Bonds (with all those bullets one MUST eventually hit him.. but magically never does).
Beginning to struggle after that- I can only tend to remember films that I like, and most of the worst examples are just silly.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 10:50 PM
LTP
Painter and Crazy Person

LTP's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabo View Post
I like a good bit of actiopn in my movies, I loved transformers, batman, and the new star trek, however all those films had something in common, all the action sequences were moderetly believable.

Hehe i can just imagine it,

"OMFG theres a 60ft alien robot with cannons thats fighting another 60ft alien robot that 1 second ago was a fighter jet....."
believable not really....but i like to think it is.

If action movies were believable then that would lead us to believe that megan fox would give up stardom and run away with us which will never ever happen.....

p.s star trek F****n Awesome
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-09, 08:07 PM

PandaPaws's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hmmmm, hang on a sec... this isn't a pop at anyone or anything as I like to think we're all mature enough to keep an open and honest discussion going... but:

Blade - the guy's a Daywalker who's spent most of his life training and killing vampires... most of the vampires he kills only have their strength to pit against him... they rarely carry weapons with most of them unlikely to be as highly skilled in the arts of mortal combat. I'd back any chap with a shotgun, sword, big muscles and knows how to fight against a bunch of party-loving suck-heads!

Batmans - haven't seen them all in ages, so really can't comment too much... but am sure Batman Bale gets injured in both films and didn't come across as indestructible.

Supermans - haven't seen the latest version, but this one's a no-brainer... he's Superman, of course he can do the 15-1 ratio if not more, in fact definitely more!

Robocops - again I'm sure Murphy gets smacked about and pretty much rebuilt in every film... he wins the day by dogged human determination backed up by one of the coolest looking handguns I've ever seen. He's supposed to win, that's the idea of having a hero... but he doesn't breeze it!

Equilibrium - bingo, with that one you've nailed it! He's only a human trained in the Way of the Gun, the fact that he doesn't even pick up a flesh wound from being surrounded by semi-automatic gunfire is simply... astounding!

Exodite Eldar (5th Ed):W - 3. D - 3. L - 5.
Angelis Nocturnus (5th Ed):W - 9. D - 5. L - 11.
Tale of Four Gamers (UK)
Tale of Four Gamers (UK) Battle Reports
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-09, 03:21 PM

i dunno i can see what ur saying. like in the diehards at the end of the movies john ALWAYS looks like crap. Tears of the sun (awsome movie) only 4 members get out alive....barely lol. but you have to factor in luck in all action movies. for instance the real life d-day the ONLY reason we took the beach was because the germans ran outta supplies and ammo. sure there are lots to factor in like our paratroopers harrassed their supply lines and such but LUCK was a very large part of it. and the bravery of alot of dead soldiers.

every action movie has some inkling of untruth in it. but thats because..... dun dun duuunnnn its a movie. just sit back. watch it. and enjoy it for what its worth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode