star trek xi - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 12:29 AM

Wow I fail, I just started my own thread. :facepalm:

Anyway, did no one else notice the "klingon warbirds?" I wanted to shoot the wrighter...

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 01:08 AM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I knew I was in for a major let down when the retard script writer put a fucking child birth into an action scene.

Piss off. Yawn. Why the hell do they ram that femme shit down your neck in the first 5 mins?

Overall I'd give it a score of...meh. Every single episode of Next Generation, Voyager and DS9 was better than this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 04:12 AM

jpunk's Flag is: United Kingdom

> DS9 was better than this.

Steady now. I think you are forgetting the holodeck baseball episode. And the one where they put quark in drag in an attempt for cheap lulz. And anything involving Jake. To be frank, it was only the double hard Jem'Hadar that dragged that shit-pit of a series into the 'might as well watch it as there's fuck all else on' category.

I notice with glee that you didn't suggest Enterprise was better than the film. I have never seen past the first the two minutes of any Enterprise episode as I break out in a cold sweat at the sound of the theme tune and have to go have a little lie down in a darkened room for an hour or two. The writers of that travesty should be put out of the nearest airlock without a space suit, along with the cast and crew. (I'll spare Bakula for his sterling work on Quantum Leap, on the proviso that he never darkens our veiw screens again. And I'll spare the vulcan girl, on the condition that.... Well, you don't need to hear about that bit.)
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 02:14 PM

TattooedGreenMan's Flag is: USA

I went and saw it yesterday and loved it. Someone said earlier that it goes against the original goal of Roddenberry to reunite Romulus and Vulcan. If you noticed in the sequence explaining what the hell was going on Ambasador Spock was trying to save Romulus. This movie is a set up for another movie. It gives them an excuse to go back in time and save Romulus. Would not be the first time that they went back in time to save a planet (Voyage Home). As for the actor they chose for the crew I thought all of them were spot on. Young Kirk was just as impetuous as Shatner (with out the dramatic pauses). The young Ohura was HOT!!!. Young Checov was halarious (especially the annoicement and the foul up with the authourization. Sulu has always been a bad ass fighter and the young one did not disapoint. Bones was spot on and a great tribute to the late DeForest Kelly. The young Scottie was funny and the out and out head shaking (not just a nod)to the original was also a great tribute to the late James Duhane. Did anyone else catch the reference to the Enterprise show in Scotties opening scene? As for Spock. Where in the hell did they find someone that looked so much like Leonard Nemoy? When they did the side view facing each other they looked like mirror images one young one old.

This was a great stand alone movie. Will see it again. The one scene that had me rolling was when kid Kirk stole his stepdad's car and sent it over the cliff (his step dad said if you put one scratch on it, well he scratched it) This movie I give two thumbs way up and five stars out of five and a big to all you nay sayers.

Please level my Daemons I want them to grow up and be fierce.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpunk View Post
> DS9 was better than this.

Steady now. I think you are forgetting the holodeck baseball episode. And the one where they put quark in drag in an attempt for cheap lulz. And anything involving Jake. To be frank, it was only the double hard Jem'Hadar that dragged that shit-pit of a series into the 'might as well watch it as there's fuck all else on' category.

Hey now, just because of a (alright quite a few) bad moment dont go condeming DS9, there was some serrious badassery what with the cardasians and the dominion running around. Are we forgeting the awsome episode where the super doc (for the life of me- his name) calculated the unavoidable fact that the federation would loose the war? (alright so he turnd out to be wrong, but it was cool as hell anyway when he started goin crazy.)

And anything with klingons gets my vote, call me cliche but they are just badass. Pluss Odo! you gota love the B.A. shapeshifter.

But yeah, Jake was... well, he was Jake.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 01:20 AM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

I find a lot of people are upset about this movie for two reasons; they're fans of the original series (or one of them) and they disagree with the science.

I'm going to squash the later like a bug. You can't argue science in a science FICTION show/movie/whatever. Are we really talking about what you think should happen in the event of a blackhole not being portrayed realistically when people are being transported willy nilly entire planet systems away on ships navigating said systems in a matter of minutes because of FTL warp speed? Oh sure, let's go ahead and nitpick the levels of complexities of thermo dynamics while pointy eared goons are travelling through time firing laser beams.

You take an idea, you run with it. You go for the most visually appealing and disturbing image you can think of when creating a dissaster, you don't concern yourself with the "science" of the matter. Dear god, how boring would those space scenes actually be if we stripped all sound affects from them simply to purify the science behind sound waves in a vaccum?

Talking about the theories of science and the cinema driven ways in which they took theories is one thing, complaining about it is quite another.

The former is much more opinionated and up to the individual. It was a completely different take on the Star Trek genre, one for which I was eternally grateful. The original series was... odd at best. Generations was pleasent, DS9 was preachy, Voyager was so full of itself I can't believe it lasted as along as it did and I was tired of it when Enterprise came out. This movie, like all the others, took existing cannon and interpreted it in it's own way. Just like comic books have multiple universes, so too does Star Trek.

Now, some people may have some issues with what they did with Romulus, Vulcan and the like, in the same way that I feel Voyager took the Borg, spit on them, shit on them, set them on fire, crapped on the ashes and then buried them upside down while pissing on the grave... but some other people may end up liking it more than you or I do. Let them have their universes, and we'll keep the ones we enjoyed to ourselves.

By itself, Star Trek was a good flick. In relation to the original series, it had a very original take on it, tributes to various characters while retaining their essences and then running with them in ways in which an alternate reality just well might.

The very best thing about it (IMO) was that they never went bat shit crazy when it came to the resolution of the devestating problem they faced. No retarded new technology conjured out of their asses, no cheat on existing tech, no crazy achillies heels exploited. Just some good ol fashion elbow grease, a few critical but noticable flaws in design and turning their own powers against them.

The other very best thing is that all the characters were human (sort of). By god honest and flawed human (sort of). They all made mistakes, had noticable shortcomings, actually showed development and even got licked every now and then. Such a refreshing drink from the usual "spacemarineleetness" the plagued the genre for so long.

Pondering...
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 02:38 AM

Fair enughf, and your entirely right. It wont stop me from pointing out lame ship nameing errors though! *Trekkie away!*

As for science, I agree with you as to the validity of any complaint, but its still fun to pick it apart sometimes (especialy when its just sooooooooo dumb)

See the OP in the thread I started for why the black hole failed epicaly!

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 08:17 AM

Kitsunex's Flag is: USA

i have yet to talk to any hardcore trekkies that dislike this movie.

Currently Running:ORKS! The Ringmasta Skullsmasha is bringin the WAUGHHHH!

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 11:05 AM

jpunk's Flag is: United Kingdom

> Oh sure, let's go ahead and nitpick the levels of complexities of thermo dynamics while pointy eared goons are travelling through time firing laser beams

Sounds good! And while we're at it, they changed the colour of the warp nacells. Whats that all about, eh? eh?
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 11:11 AM

Phrazer's Flag is: Wales

I wouldnt read to much into the whole "Warbird" thing Col. Schafer if i could direct you to http://www.st-intelligence.com/ship_...e/kling/d7.php and i quote...

The Romulan D-7 class is identical to its Klingon counterpart. The Romulan Empire received these ships as part of the Romulan-Klingon alliance in exchange for cloaking technology. Larger and more powerful then the old Bird of Prey class these ships became the standard Romulan starship of the late 23rd century. The Romulan Empire exchanged cloaking technology for this class of ships design.

Youll have to take my word for it that this was the class of ship we could see through the windows of the simulator room image of that ship here...http://www.30doradus.org/spaceships/...?g2_itemId=238

Im not saying they definitely didnt drop the ball, but if u bear in mind that both the Klingons and Romulans had ships called "Birds of Prey" and "Warbirds" and that some of the classes overlapped/were exchanged and that they looked the same, its not hard to imagine that they might by rite.

However in the Next Generation episode called "Broken Bow" the writers did cock up the titles and mix them up (they even apologised afterwards for it), so far all i know they might have done it again lol. quotation here http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_warbird

Anyway, i am a fan of most things Trekki (although i do not own a set of pointy ears) especially the last 2 series of DS9, and really like the warships of the Star Trek universe. I thought the new film was outstanding!! Like some1 else has said, the best film since Dark Knight. I feel sorry for Transformers as i think its going to be rubbish compared with this but i would love to be proved wrong. I thought visually it was amazing, the soundtrack was excellent and the casting/acting was really spot on, even down to the voice mannerisms of Kirk and Mckoy. They managed to pull it off and not sound like they were just doing impressions of them which takes some doing!!

For pure enjoyment i would give it 9/10 at least!!

Real Men/Women/Aliens/Heretics/Warp Spawned Filth/Big Scary Space Monsters play Battlefleet Gothic... why dont you???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode