Event Horizon: 40k Movie?! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

Default Event Horizon: 40k Movie?!

I saw Even Horizon a long time ago, probably about four years after getting into 40k, and I remember thinking "this feels like the Warp from 40k!" Recently, after exploring the 40k section of TV Tropes, I discovered that Event Horizon is, in fact, considered a 40k movie!

My question to you all is: Do you think this could conceivably be a 40k movie? If so, why? If not, why?!

I personally think it could be about humanity's first encounter with the Warp, without the Gellar Field.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 11:13 PM

fallvictim's Flag is: USA

I don't think its based on 40k at all, from what i know its based on a book written by Steven McDonald. The movie has aspects of the warp but how many movies are out there that also feature the same concepts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 02:00 AM

xiawujing's Flag is: USA

Haven't seen Event Horizon... is it worth the time?

Been gone for a while, but Alpharius commands my return
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 04:51 AM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

It's basically a story of a ship that reappears after being lost, after testing an experimental type of lightspeed engine. This isn't a "warp" engine, but basically it "dips" into another dimension for a brief instant, before coming back up in another place. This other dimension turns out to be "hell" according to the movie, and drives everyone insane with lots of blood and crazy. And some rather disturbing scenes. But either way, it's a good one. I'd recommend it for all the older movie buffs.

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 01:41 PM

psycho92's Flag is: England

it is a good movie, but i wolud not say that it is based on 40k, yes there is a transdimensional portal leading to hell but it's not a storm (which is used in 40k) if i remember correctly then it is an artificial black hole (to which event horizon's are normally around).

I nearly hit a cat driving my car today.
Who on Earth taught a cat to drive?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 05:57 PM

nightfish's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds a lot more like Doom than 40k. I liked the movie though. Pick up the special version for a fiver now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 05:39 AM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

The actual description of the engine used in the "Event Horizon" ship folds space and time. The description in the movie used a piece of paper with two dots drawn on it. The scientist, (played by actor Sam Neil) who designed the engine described the "shortest distance between two points" theory and then folded the paper and pushed a pencil through the folded paper and then unfolded the paper to show the pencil now on the other side thus eliminating any distance between the two points and travel would be almost instantaneous. The engine is called a "Gravity drive" and transports the ship into a different universe of pure evil only to return some time later.

I actually really liked the movie, (if you haven't guessed that by now) and thought it was a unique sci-fi horror movie that is entertaining. It isn't the best movie, but it is worth a watch if you have never seen it and like horror and sci-fi movies.

I can see the ties between the movie and the 40k universe, as it does resemble what the "warp" might be like.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 04-09-09 at 05:42 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 12:07 AM

PandaPaws's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think it only really shows the 'Warps' effect on a human... there are no demons or their kin shown. At best there's the notion that an 'intelligence' has taken hold of the Event Horizon and seeks to return to Hell/Warp-space taking yet more humans with it... but I'd really struggle to put this film anywhere near a 40k section!

It's a great film, but some of the scenes are disturbing and really should only be watched by adults!

Exodite Eldar (5th Ed):W - 3. D - 3. L - 5.
Angelis Nocturnus (5th Ed):W - 9. D - 5. L - 11.
Tale of Four Gamers (UK)
Tale of Four Gamers (UK) Battle Reports
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 09:40 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

There are certain paralells with fluff about the warp, and possession, but that's about it. It's just a really good film.

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode