The Movie Review Thread - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default The Movie Review Thread

Hi guys,

My Student President has asked me to write a column in a new Uni newspaper that is being sety up at my uni. I've never done any kind of journalism before but El Presidente is my firend so I'm gonna give it a go. Basicaly he wants me to write film reviews. So without hesitation I said yes and trugded down to my nearest cinema, girlfriend in tow, to watch "The Watchmen". Im posting a review here mainly for lols but any critism is welcome .

Here goes (minor spoilers follow):

What: The Watchman

Who:
Malin Akerman (Slutty)
Billy Crudup (Godlike)
Mathew Goode (Rich)
Jackie Earle Haley (Scary)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Mad)
Patrick Wilson (Wimpy)

Plot: Watchmen is set in an alternate reality where costumed superheroes (or masks) are a part of everyday life. The main story takes place in 1985 and the build up to the Soviet Invasion of Afgahnistan.

The Comedian (Morgan) is murdered and a fellow "hero" Rorschach (Haley) begins an investigation into the death while contacting a group of ex super heroes known as the "Watchmen" to which Rorschach himself belongs. Cue classic film noir private eye story arch with a fairly grusome anti-hero.

Meanwhile fellow watchmen Dr Manhattan and Ozymendias are working on a a limitless and free form of energy in an effort to make war for rescources obselete. This angers the resident captains of industry who try to blackmail Ozymendias with Communism charges.

While Ozymendias is dealing with buisnessman, Dr Manhatten is becoming more divorced from his humanity and his relationship with Laurie Jupiter (Akerman) aka the Silk Specter begins to suffer leading to their eventual breakup.

A series of events lead to the team being reunited to stop a nuclear war between Russia and the US.

Review:

The Watchmen is a very deep and complicated film dealing with many big ideas and twisting, interconnecting story lines. Each theme and idea (such as the Dr Manhatten/Laurie/Nite Owl love triangle and the concept of extreme utilitarianism) is given a thorough examination and as a piece of political discussion The Watchmen excels. Keeping track of all these twists and turns can be hard work. Another thing to point out is that the film does trow you in the deep end when it comes to the universe. The previous incarnation of the Watchmen (shown in the film as the Minutemen) are only given a cursory showing at the begining of the film and rarely mentioned again. It is also never revealed wether these heores have superpowers (as the punching through walls would seem to suggest) or just ordinary vigilantes as the watchmen seem to describe themsleves. Lots of other points about the film are left fairly vague.

In true Zack Snyder fashion the film does not dissapoint visualy. The fight scenes are expertly choreographed and shot in a way that ensures you always see the action from the best angle. Also the film keeps Snyder's trademark dark and gritty feel even during a scene in antarctica. All of the effects are top notch, everything from broken arms and the sticky remains of people killed by the Docter all look completely real. My only complaint about the action scenes is that there isn't enough of them. It seems too much time (in a film that is over two hours long) was spent dealing with all the sub plots and politics.

The casting of the film is generaly very good. Crudup does a very good job of voicing the godlike Dr Manhatten. His voice is full of calm that suits the Docter down to the ground. However, I think Wilson was miscast as the Nite Owl, no offence to the guy but he comes across as a bit too wimpy to be a bad ass crime fighter, when portraying Nite Owl's alter ego he does fit the bill slightly better but watching him try to act tough just doesn't seem to work. The star of the show has to Rorschach played by Jackie Earle Haley. Haley manages to outshine the others as the sadistic and quite terrifying investigator. Rorscharch's evil side is evident without being shoved in your face and this is all achieved without actualy seeing his face for most of the film.

Overall this is a good film. It takes what seems like forever to get going and the action scenes, briliant as they are, are few and far between. If you are just looking for explosions and slow motion diving look elsewhere. If you feel you can keep up with the complicated storyline and like awsome fight scenes go for it. Just remember to be patient, it may take ages to get to the point but when it does this film realy earns the £6 you payed to see it. 3/5.

What do you guys think? Bare in mind I haven't read the comics lol. Feel free to comment about the film n such and post your own reviews of films and such here too

Follow mine and Jam's 40K delusions at:

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 03:46 PM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

Sorry man, but this should belong in the Television/Movie section, not the off topic.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ah ok, sorry lol.

Follow mine and Jam's 40K delusions at:

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode