American Psycho - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Zondarian's Flag is: England

Default American Psycho

I think this is one of the greatest films ever, very weird. For those who haven't seen it this is my favouraite bit.

For those who have seen it, I have watched it for the 5th time. I think that he did not kill them, he was just thinking he did, but I am not sure. So can anyone shead any light on it for me?

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 11:13 PM

Trevor Drake's Flag is: USA

no comment, you have to see the movie, the movie is amazing.

-Trevor D.

Quote:
Trevor_Drake: If you invested $1,000 in Delta Airlines last year, you would have made $43. In AIG, you would have made $33. In Leihman Brothers you would have made $0. Spent that money on beer and recycled the empty cans, you would have made $214. I call it a 401-keg.
Trevor_Drake: Americans walk roughly 900 miles per year, and consume on average 22 gallons of beer a year, so the average american gets 41 miles to the gallon!

Grish: hahaha
Katie_Drake: XD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 11:33 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cool film.

If you haven't done so already go buy all of Bret Easton Ellis' books. They're all awesome.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-09, 08:55 AM

fatboy955's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Cool film.

If you haven't done so already go buy all of Bret Easton Ellis' books. They're all awesome.
Jez do you mean there are more books featuring Mr Bateman? or just more by the same author?

Oh and it is a cool film

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-09, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou everyone for for saying it's a good film, but I was asking a question. Did he actually kill the people or not?

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-09, 04:35 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondarian View Post
Thankyou everyone for for saying it's a good film, but I was asking a question. Did he actually kill the people or not?
I'm in the camp that says he did. I take a look at it like this; the director doesn't seem like a cop-out type person (like the b*st*rdly movie Donny Darko). It also would have really taken a great deal away from his interactions with the detective investigating the murders, his secretary when they almost went on a date and the multiple encounters with the street walkers.

The kitten somewhat gave it away for me, in that while showing his was basically going nuts, he was still performing the actions in front of witnesses, who of course added to his very random toll toward the end of the movie.

Also, if he wasn't actually Patrick, how come all the characters kept referring to him as such during the movie? The only one that didn't was his lawyer at the end. And what does a Lawyer do? They protect their clients with whatever story they come up with; which was what he did at the end. If Paul didn't really die or dissapear, what was the entire purpose of the detective in the first place?

I also feel the entire movie was a very interesting twist on the psychosis the American people feel toward each other for the dumbest of reasons. It's absurd to think someone would murder another person over having a better business card, but then people have been gunned down in life over having the same kind of shoes, so it heavily plays on that. It would really ruin that aspect of it if it was all a 'random hallucination'.

Plus, I haven't really heard a good argument for it all being a mental trip anyway. The best one so far was that no one seemed to care about the missing or murdered people, so it must not have happened, but when was the last time someone cried over the last high school shooting? Sure it sucks, but after we see/hear/read the story, that's pretty much the end of it. That also struck me as rather powerful in that not only was the rampaging murder psycho, but that we all shared a certain callous nature toward the suffering of others.

Pondering...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-09, 04:50 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy955 View Post
Jez do you mean there are more books featuring Mr Bateman? or just more by the same author?

Oh and it is a cool film
No, they're different books but Glamorama had cameos.

He wrote Rules of Attraction as well, probably the greatest novel I've ever read. Sean Bateman (Dawson) is Batemans younger brother.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-09, 06:20 PM

Trigger's Flag is: England

The film's good but the book is AWESOME

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-09, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Rev the whole pooint is that he is a psychopath. Read the Jigsaw Man by Paul Briton, it is all 100% true, and a man kills because a girl is wearing red shoes. Psychopaths that go over the edge an carry out murders often have no real reason for the killing, so pick anyone who annoyed them more than other, they tend to have the emotions of hatred, digust, jealousy, etc.. so can be liable to kill for trivial reasons such as buisness cards.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 01:19 PM
!!FailHammer!! Podcaster

Death Shroud's Flag is: England

Yes he definately killed them, the film is tamer than the book (the rodent part EWW). I love how the book shows how banal and shallow he is. The parts about Whitney Houson, Hewy Lewis and Phil Collins give you a greater idea about how fucked up he is than all the chainsaws in the world can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode