Robocop 2014 bluray - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-14, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Robocop 2014 bluray

Well yesterday my lovely wife and daughter bought me a little gift, which was the limited edition Steel book of the new Robocop movie, im a big fan of the original film and im a sucker for a steelbook bluray, I have to admit i was disapointed to not have made it to the cinema to catch the movie but i have quite a decent home movie set up so it wasnt a total loss.

Anyway i always watch every movie with an open mind and even more so when its a remake/reboot,its too easy to start making direct comparisons and get swept away with nostalgia.

Robocop 2014 is worth watching, it has a good plot while sticking to some of the fundamentals of the original, the plot is a bit more interesting and complex than the 80s version, but sadly it does lack humour, its a little too serious, the film also lacks a major villain, the equivalent "Clarence Bodiker" character in the movie has no screen presence and is almost forgettable, Omni corp i suppose is the Villain if your looking for one, but the figure head Dick jones character is played by Micheal Keaton and he really doesnt play corporate evil villain head honcho very well, he was a bad choice, it needed an Alan Rickman or ironically Garry Oldman who they cast as the nice doctor who creates Robocop,they should have switched roles.
They studio also cocked up the casting of joel Kinnaman as murphy, hes wooden in places, his dialog was mumbled and it really felt like they may have built a Robocop suit and then had to find an actor who fit into it, considering the caliber of the supporting cast he was a poor choice.

i know this isnt painting a great picture of the movie, but i did enjoy it, but it wasnt right, he has two suits of armour, the first is a very obvious updated nod to the original which was great and should have been used for the whole film, the second suit was a very sleek black number, which would have looked perfect in another bat man movie but apart from the helmet really wasnt Robocop, and sadly was used for most of the movie, the armour was also very vulnerable compared to the 80s armour, which kinda leads me on to another point, the 80s Robocop was a walking tank the 2014 Robo was more of a ninja,more agile and much faster than his 25 year old counterpart, so you get some good fast paced action and some set action pieces that simply wouldnt have been appropriate for the 80s robocop, i suppose we have films like the transformers movies and optimus prime acrobatics to blame for robots becoming super agile in movies.

i suppose the most disappointing aspect of the movie was the violence was seriously scaled back, even to the point that Robocop is given a tazer gun, so dont expect to see exploding heads and rapists getting shot in the nuts,its a pg13 folks , plenty of robots and drones get wasted but human casualties are bloodless deaths or stunned, from what i can gather this was a studio choice and the director had a hard time getting anything like the story on to the screen that he wanted.

But its still worth a watch,but dont compare it to the original, they are two different animals made a quarter of century apart, one on a shoe string budget pre CG and the other with a multi million dollar risk from a nervous studio who didnt understand what made the original popular, the film needed at least another 30 mins of time to really develop some things it lacked, and it needed its R rating.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 12:31 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

Huge fan of the original. I was like 6 when it came out and my parents were super strict and wouldnt let me see it. I heard scene by scene descriptions from friends, has some toys (with the cap gun back lol) and even had the HBO commercial recorded on my cartoon VHS tape. It took YEARS AND YEARS to see this film (also the Terminator movies) so I didnt see it til I was maybe 14. These films are legends to me.

With that being said, I wont even give it a shot. Not before your review, and ESPECIALLY not after your review.

-REST IN PEACE BLACK TEMPLARS-
>LONG LIVE THE WHAAAAUGGGHHHH!!!<
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 01:42 PM
Closet Dictator

Oldman78's Flag is: Ireland

I'm gonna pass on this, thanks for the review but I'm too much a fan of the original !

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-14, 11:02 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I've seen both.

It's not your daddy's Robocop, that's for sure. There's some humour in it, but it's missing the dark sarcasm. The original also poked a big stick at the American pre-occupation with violence in movies (by overdoing it to the point where some of it had to slip through. They did deliberately ramp up the content in it so that the "tamer" aspects got through). This version lacks it.

Gary Oldman has stepped away from the "must die in every movie" roles, I see. He was better when it was something you could count on (Oh, Gary's in it, he's going to die, you know?). I blame those execrable batman movies.

A welcome return was the Basil Poledouris theme.

Television has changed - you can't parody it anymore when it is itself a parody of what it was.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode