Godzilla. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-14, 07:19 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

@Reaper45 You might want to spoiler tag that mate.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-14, 07:30 PM

Fine.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-14, 07:49 PM
visit roleplay threads!

unxpekted22's Flag is: USA

It wasn't as exciting as I had hoped, but maybe I was going in with high expectations which often leads to that.

I did feel like Cranston's death was kind of, foolish? I dunno, didn't seem necessary.

It started out really well, for sure. The movie as a whole was definitely a good throw back film, which I think is more of what it was meant to be rather than a remake "new and improved" idea like the last one was.

In my opinion, Pacific Rim was better. I don't recall anyone trying to kill the kaiju in that with assault rifles lol, which is starting to become a real gripe I have about monster movies.

If everyone sees a missile have absolutely no effect on something, no one is going to shoot at it with a rifle afterward, and try to hang on to their gear and rifles while they run around and climb things. If actual news was shown with a giant monster wrecking havoc, no one would go to an office meeting the next day like it was a normal day. Kids wouldn't be sent to school, etc.

Sorry if I'm overly critical, it was a fun movie!

You can never be prepared for the unexpected

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-14, 09:02 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

In answer to your earlier point reaper:

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
In answer to your earlier point reaper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpekted22 View Post
It wasn't as exciting as I had hoped, but maybe I was going in with high expectations which often leads to that.

I did feel like Cranston's death was kind of, foolish? I dunno, didn't seem necessary.

It started out really well, for sure. The movie as a whole was definitely a good throw back film, which I think is more of what it was meant to be rather than a remake "new and improved" idea like the last one was.

In my opinion, Pacific Rim was better. I don't recall anyone trying to kill the kaiju in that with assault rifles lol, which is starting to become a real gripe I have about monster movies.

If everyone sees a missile have absolutely no effect on something, no one is going to shoot at it with a rifle afterward, and try to hang on to their gear and rifles while they run around and climb things. If actual news was shown with a giant monster wrecking havoc, no one would go to an office meeting the next day like it was a normal day. Kids wouldn't be sent to school, etc.

Sorry if I'm overly critical, it was a fun movie!
Given the fact that at the beginning they battled the first one for six days before nuking it three times I'm fairly certain a few assault rifles were fired at it.

The first engagement they didn't realize they would do nothing. The other engagements they were trying to provide a distraction

Last edited by Reaper45; 05-21-14 at 05:10 AM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 08:52 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I felt the underlying story wasn't particularly well done, all the female characters were weak or pointless, the single guy seemed to be in the right places at the right time and I mean he travelled great distances, happened have the right rank, happened to have the right job etc etc. The sound was lacking to imo. Godzilla was well done though and there could of been more action especially at the airport, but I agree I liked pacific rim more.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 11:34 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I was hoping to see Heisenberg go up against Godzilla, but in that regard I was to be sorely disappointed.

Godzilla vs Walter White

However, after the initial disappointment of there being barely any Heisenberg in the movie I was extremely pleased with how the movie turned out. Godzilla was fucking awesome, the parachute scene was amazing and the final kill was rad as hell. Godzilla was a as the name implies a god, unlike the lizard walking on two legs we had back in 1998...

Bryan Cranston did a really good job whilst the main character (whoever that was) was somewhat boring to watch and I did not care at all for his ultimately pointless subplots throughout most of the movie. I feel the entire film would have been better of without him and instead featuring more Heisenberg doing awesome shit.

Overall, I thought it was a great film. Even though the plot revolving around the main character is somewhat boring and pointless the Godzilla scenes definitely make up for any shortcomings on that end. Definitely worth watching and I‘ll be picking it up on Blu-Ray as soon as it‘s released.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 05-21-14 at 11:37 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
I felt the underlying story wasn't particularly well done, all the female characters were weak or pointless, the single guy seemed to be in the right places at the right time and I mean he travelled great distances, happened have the right rank, happened to have the right job etc etc. The sound was lacking to imo. Godzilla was well done though and there could of been more action especially at the airport, but I agree I liked pacific rim more.
How could they be any stronger? One was a nurse the other was a scientist and the final one was a tech at a nuke plant.
There's not many ways to make them strong and they acted exactly like you'd expect them to.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 09:07 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
How could they be any stronger? One was a nurse the other was a scientist and the final one was a tech at a nuke plant.
There's not many ways to make them strong and they acted exactly like you'd expect them to.
Well I guess if you expect all women to be in the background behind men, or not able to handle stress or pressure, but I don't.

Yeah they can have moments of weakness, but the woman following the scientist around was pointless, Elizabeth Olsen's character did nothing but cry and panic, she could of be made to look strong by I dunno saving someones life but we just got her crying.

None of the women in it were at all dominant and that was sad, I mean we got Rinko Kikuchi and the female russian (who clearly wore the pants) kicking ass in Pacific Rim but what did we get in Godzilla? below par stereotypical treatment of women. Could of even replaced the lead actor with a woman and nothing would of needed to be changed since the part was pretty lacking and so "this guy just happens to be in the right place at the right time, oh they need a bomb expert well look who it is after travelling across the bloody pacific.."

Considering 70% of the film was basically filler to set up the giant monsters fighting, you would of thought they could of given some better face time to the women in it.

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 05-21-14 at 09:09 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
Well I guess if you expect all women to be in the background behind men, or not able to handle stress or pressure, but I don't.

Yeah they can have moments of weakness, but the woman following the scientist around was pointless, Elizabeth Olsen's character did nothing but cry and panic, she could of be made to look strong by I dunno saving someones life but we just got her crying.

None of the women in it were at all dominant and that was sad, I mean we got Rinko Kikuchi and the female russian (who clearly wore the pants) kicking ass in Pacific Rim but what did we get in Godzilla? below par stereotypical treatment of women. Could of even replaced the lead actor with a woman and nothing would of needed to be changed since the part was pretty lacking and so "this guy just happens to be in the right place at the right time, oh they need a bomb expert well look who it is after travelling across the bloody pacific.."

Considering 70% of the film was basically filler to set up the giant monsters fighting, you would of thought they could of given some better face time to the women in it.
She was in a city being attacked by a 300 ft monster. What the fuck else would you be doing?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode