From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Default From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series

Has anyone else been keeping up with this?

It doesn't seem to have gotten much attention, but, I'm loving it. I think it struggled to get out of the movie's shadow, but it's finally pulling itself together, now. Eiza Gonzalez as Santanico Pandemonium has surprised me - I'm a huge, huge fan of the original, and Salma Hayek, and wasn't expecting much from her. She's done alright, so far, I think. Though she, and her curves, and her dance scene, just cannot compare to Salma Hayek's portrayal of the character - But perhaps I'm being overly unfair on her.

So, do any of you Heretics have an opinion on the show? Or am I the only one watching? It definitely feels like!

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 09:38 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Huh. I remember reading about this a while ago but i'd forgotten about it, it's actually on now?? Once the last episode has been released i'll watch it all, should be very entertaining. I too am a huge fan of the original movie, so hopefully it'll be a "f*cking show."

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 10:17 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
Huh. I remember reading about this a while ago but i'd forgotten about it, it's actually on now?? Once the last episode has been released i'll watch it all, should be very entertaining. I too am a huge fan of the original movie, so hopefully it'll be a "f*cking show."

LotN
Second on that, I really hope it's good.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-14, 10:24 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Vampires and shit yeah? Just getting down to watching the walking dead. (Just getting started, meaning I've got Godzilla, Wolf of Wall Street, Frozen, Series 5 Breaking Bad, Archer 2, 3, 4, and 5, World War Z Extended, 300; Rise of an Empire, 2 Guns and 47 Ronin still to watch. Reaper of Souls to Finish playing, The Elder Scrolls Online, catch up with a ton of podcasts, both music and youtube channels. The Wheel of Time series, Horus Heresy reread... shit.)

Erm, on second thoughts, it's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-14, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

Currently, it's airing as a Netflix Original, here in Britain. The last episode is on next Tuesday; though, the show has already been renewed for a second season, which is good.

It adds a lot of interesting story to the universe, though, the earlier episodes do feel a tad tedious. I'd recommend it, more so if you're a fan of the first movie.

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 02:50 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Finally getting a set of headphones has allowed me to watch TV on my computer again. So I binge-watched From Dusk Till Dawn, six episodes last night and the final four today. My thoughts;

D.J. Cotrona and Zane Holtz were brilliant, both of them felt superior to George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino as the original Gecko Brothers, though admittedly one of the key reasons for that is the higher quality and quantity of material for them, and the fact that Zane Holtz is an actual actor and Tarantino is primarily a director. Cotrona's Seth comes across as more human in the series due to the expanded backstory but I think Zane Holtz is the best actor in the show, his Richie Gecko feels like a far more dangerous individual yet with a core of humanity that wasn't there in the film. I liked the relationship that is expanded on here, the idea that Seth owes Richie and yet the show doesn't take it too far and have him become a martyr over it, which is good because that can get dull. Plus, might just be me here, but I felt that Cotrona and Holtz had real chemistry together that made their act as brothers more believable, they do feel like a duo ready to take on the world together.

Eiza Gonzalez is very good as well. The expansion on Santanico Pandemonium makes her a much more interesting character than the film, and her relationship with Richie was interesting to watch. Whether or not she really is a victim is a question later seasons will have to explore, but I liked the scenes with her interacting with either Richie or Seth for different reasons. As for the "Snake dance scene" I think that Salma Hayek's was longer and a bit more memorable, I liked the added light effects and the liquor part was done well, but I think the part on the pole detracted from the dance as it made her act seem like just another stripper's rather than something special as Salma Hayek's did.

Gonzalez, as a new character, was one of the best additions I think. His desire for revenge took him to interesting places and I loved the scene when he said "I'm not a ranger. I'm the Rinche." His transformation from a ranger to the eponymous "Rinche" was very entertaining, especially his being the first character to kill a vampire. I quite like that his character saw what the path of revenge would result in and decided that revenge wasn't worth ruining not only his life, but his wife and daughter's as well.

The series adaption of Sex Machine and Frost were also very interesting. Sex Machine was awesome in the movie and he's awesome here too, the "cock-gun" and his katana were really cool, and I liked that rather than being just another fighter, Sex Machine was smart this time and could actually offer something beyond just kicking ass. His turning out to be a villain was shocking, yet when you realize that his obsession becomes more obvious in earlier scenes, though that he was the Cartel Killer was the biggest shock. I honestly thought it was Richie. As for Frost I liked what I saw though I wish he had been used a bit more, perhaps following the Gecko Brothers and helping out in the final fights before his heroic sacrifice.

My only disappointment is that two of my favourite lines by Seth Gecko didn't make it into the series;

"Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

"And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is fucking vampires!"

And this;

Jacob: Has anybody here read a real book about vampires, or are we just remembering what a movie said? I mean a real book.
Sex Machine: You mean like a Time-Life book?

On the whole, great great series and I eagerly await Season 2 and all the completely new material it will bring.

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 04:23 AM
Craw-Daddy

Is the show like a remake of the movies? I hope so. The first From Dusk Till Dawn was pretty good. But the second was like ugh... and then the Hangman's daughter had an interesting piece of lore but the acting and screen writing were shit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 12:04 AM
Craw-Daddy

Its finally on in Netflix in the United States. The show makes a lot more sense than the movie. For instance, the voices Richie hears in his head were not developed at all in the movies. You just think the guy is crazy. It seems like a very developed plot right now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-14, 08:32 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
Its finally on in Netflix in the United States. The show makes a lot more sense than the movie. For instance, the voices Richie hears in his head were not developed at all in the movies. You just think the guy is crazy. It seems like a very developed plot right now.
Well that's because in the movie he was just insane. In the TV show there is an actual external reason for Riche's erratic behaviour.

LotN

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-14, 06:38 PM
Craw-Daddy

The ending let me down a little. There was some bad acting there at the end. I did like the development of the lore though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode