47 Ronin - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

jams's Flag is: Wales

47 Ronin

Went and saw Keanu Reeves' new flick, "47 Ronin" last night.

I'm a huge fan of samurai films and I'm pleased to report that it was a very enjoyable romp through fuedal Japan.

Its story is rooted in truth but with the usual Hollywood veneer applied and some cinematic liberties taken, however it has excellent swordplay and a faithful representation of bushido customs.

I'd give it a solid 3.5/5

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 10:37 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Awesome.

This is on my "to watch" list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 08:47 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I haven't seen it yet but do want too but having read the facts of what happened historically and watching the trailer I can't help but question why they've added all the other shit to it, it's a pretty awesome story as it is. Then there the question of KR's character, why have they made a Westerner one of, if not the, lead character? From my perspective saying he's a half caste doesn't really make it any more stomachable. It'd be like making Will Smith or Jackie Chan Joan of Arcs right hand man, oh it's possible that there was a Moor or a Asian somewhere within France at the time but it's highly unlikely that they would rise to such a position. I know they aren't claiming it's exactly as it happened and I'm not trying rag on the film, it may well be very enjoyable I just have questions why've they put a perfectly awesome story on crack and turned what could have been a awesome historical epic in the vein of Gladiator or Braveheart into a Fantasy romp that is bombing horribly at the box office (and I really do mean horribly - expected 20 million take, last time I checked, from a 150 million budget, 130 million dollar lost). I can only imagine that the deviation away from the story and the added sugar has something to do with it, especially in Japan.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 11:19 PM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

Wait people are talking about historic accuracy and being based in history but I'm pretty sure I saw a dragon and a tau in the trailer....

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 04:15 AM

Historic movies don't happen in hollywood. The movie looks average at best, watch and forget thing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 01:03 PM

The thing with Hollywood is, why use a truly awesome story from history when you can fuck with it and add all sorts of pointless crap into it?

I imagine towards the end of the film the US Army or a wizened old NYPD detective will turn up and save the day

Quote:
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 06:39 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
The thing with Hollywood is, why use a truly awesome story from history when you can fuck with it and add all sorts of pointless crap into it?

I imagine towards the end of the film the US Army or a wizened old NYPD detective will turn up and save the day
Or perhaps end like Monty Python and the Holy Grail where everyone gets arrested during the last charge.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 07:06 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Unless it's American History and then oh hell no! All kidding aside I do wonder what the likes of Braveheart (which already deviated a fair bit from what happened) would have been like it was shot today.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 08:25 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Well, Braveheart was a fairly Hollywood movie. And they did remake it again for more of a USA audience, it was titled "the patriot" and it was fairly awful.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-14, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Or perhaps end like Monty Python and the Holy Grail where everyone gets arrested during the last charge.
"GET ON WITH IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Unless it's American History and then oh hell no! All kidding aside I do wonder what the likes of Braveheart (which already deviated a fair bit from what happened) would have been like it was shot today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Well, Braveheart was a fairly Hollywood movie. And they did remake it again for more of a USA audience, it was titled "the patriot" and it was fairly awful.
Ugh. It's a great popcorn movie but inaccuracies really grind my gears. I've never watched the patriot for that exact reason....

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode