Lone Ranger is a good movie! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Lone Ranger is a good movie!

Generally i get a stack of dvds at xmas and last night i dug out Disneys Lone Ranger from the pile and watched it, now for those of you who didnt know or have forgot, this film got panned by critics and also was in industry terms a flop( it broke about even box office vs budget).

Now i really enjoyed this film, firstly it wasnt a "Disney" film, it was pretty violent in places, mainly gun and knife related, but tame compared to Django but enough to see that this wasnt a "kids" film, had a decent story and plot, plenty of humour but plenty of serious elements, it was a good old fashioned western, not over violent and overly gritty and definately worth a look at as a switch off brain pop corn movie.

One thing that struck a cord is that this movie highlights how badly treated the native Americans were, obviously this film is a work of fiction but i wonder if some part of historic elements of that period prevented it doing better at the box office, also there seems to be a misconception that Tonto is the lead and the Lone Ranger is his side kick, granted Depp is the bigger star and a massive box office draw, but Armie Hammer is far from playing his side kick in the film, both are excellent and have excellent chemistry and i would say have pretty equally important parts in the film to play and share most of the screen time well.

Anyway , check it out, rent it out or buy a copy, but seriously i think it might surprise you,its a very well executed western, some very nice stunts and action scenes intermixed with some almost silent cinema comedy elements and full of a few things i havent seen before dome with horses and trains.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 01:48 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

I loved the movie. Brought memories back to when I was a kid spending the weekend with my grandpa. We'd always eat breakfast (frosted flakes) and watch the back to back episodes.
As for the movie itself, I really have no complaint about it. Besides how the Indians were treated. But that is also historically correct. Anyhow. Both Army Hammer and Johnny Depp played their roles very well. Depp does wierd so well!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 02:02 PM
Fantasy Rumors

revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good review bits. I would like to see this film anyway as I have never really to listen to critics.

Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 02:28 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I wasn't a fan, but i'd still recommend watching it. My main issues were it's really long, and spends far, far too much time on exposition.

The stunt work is great though, and it's nice to see a proper action-western again. There's a few scenes throughout the movie that are fantastic stand out moments which show a lot of promise if the film was a bit more focused.

For better Johnny Depp western action i'd highly recommend Rango.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 03:05 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

I really enjoyed Lone Ranger, it was a great western action film in the vein of some of the old big budget westerns. It wasn't as "gritty" as other recent westerns like the recent remakes "True Grit" or "3:10 to Yuma"...I think much of the "negative critical" reception to the film has more to do with Depp-burnout and less to do with the content. (The film had decent earnings, but the budget was so large that it only managed to break even)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
For better Johnny Depp western action i'd highly recommend Rango.
Rango was one of the best satires of the classic western I have seen in ages, subtly done with a lot of love for the genre.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 09:54 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

I'm kind of 50/50 about watching Lone Ranger, even though there are some awesome Lego kits for it!

Rango however, was fecking brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode