Peter Capaldi to be the 12th Doctor. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 09:57 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

hes also played a doctor working for W.H.O in World war Z, the torchwood thing doesnt sit well with me either but then again after watching the last series they did ,i have erased all memory of the spin off from my brain.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Yeah.. thanks to the Americanised crap that was 'Miracle Day', I believe they're trying to write Torchwood out of canon.... or at least ignore it as much as possible.

Personally, I'm still not sure what to make of this. Having had some time to think it over now, I'm still rather worried about the choice. While I loved the 'silliness' of recent series, I do admit that it was getting a bit OTT. Doctor Who is meant to be scarey, and the over abundance of comedy has been loosing that of late.

Now... For those of Doctor Who lore... could this be something of the 'Valeyard' Doctor? The Valeyard was meant to be an incarnation of the Doctors darker side between his 12th and final incarnations.... with Capaldi being the 12th Doctor, and John Hurts dark version appearing... maybe they are going the darker route with the character?

Anyway.. I'm willing to give him a chance, but his previous acting isn't giving me any hope.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 10:50 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Now... For those of Doctor Who lore... could this be something of the 'Valeyard' Doctor? The Valeyard was meant to be an incarnation of the Doctors darker side between his 12th and final incarnations.... with Capaldi being the 12th Doctor, and John Hurts dark version appearing... maybe they are going the darker route with the character?
It would make sense, even though John Hurt has been confirmed to the Doctor that is between the 8th and the 9th. The Doctor that reincarnates into Christopher Ecclestons Doctor. Whether he's a old 8th incarnation or a hidden 9th, remains to be revealed.

I believe they will take it a darker route now - They have been ramping up on the issue of his character since the 2nd season of Tennants Doctor and it's reaching a stage where a darker stage is inevitable.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 01:16 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 01:33 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Field if that happens consider me the worst biggest Doctor Who fan from now on!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

That's precisely why I'm worried about him being the new Doctor.... cool as it may be, behaving like that just isn't the Doctor and I'm afraid every time I watch him, I'll be expecting an outburst like that.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 10:11 AM

A side note, a friend of mine acted with him quite recently, apparently despite his Malcolm Tucker persona he is an incredibly nice ghuy, and _npt_ your typical uber-ego actor twat. That cheered me a lot.

Not been a fan of Who since Tenant left (because he was a real actor) and I'd say this has the chance to get back to some high grade acting.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 02:42 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Simply put from my personal view this is nothing but a good thing since I'll actually watch Dr Who again, or the the least give it a try.

I didn't like Matt Smith, his Dr never seemed to have control of any situation and just ran around saying random phrases simply to illicit humour but failed. Though if Moffat is still writing it will still be a negative since it didn't help the current soon to be previous era either.

But I like Capaldi in most things so I'm happy with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I can't understand why people didn't like Matt Smith for any reason other then 'he's not David Tennant'.

Then I suppose its like those of us who've been fans since the original... We get the same debates about Pertwee and Baker and Troughton and Hartnell and so on...

Oh.. and I'll point out that Smith is a proper actor. He appeared in plenty of theatre productions in leading rolls for the Royal National Theatre before he got the Who role.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 05:04 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
I can't understand why people didn't like Matt Smith for any reason other then 'he's not David Tennant'.
I gave reason of why I dislike Matt Smith and seeing as Eccleston is my favourite out of the three that statement to me is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode