Man of Steel - Film Review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Man of Steel - Film Review

Read the original review: Man of Steel ? Film Review | Bane of Kings' Writing Blog.

MAN OF STEEL

Iím going to start off by saying that Iíve never been a big Superman fan. Until Superman Unchainedís debut last Wednesday, the only Superman comics that I tried from the New 52 Reboot were the first issue of Superman, the first three of Action Comics, Supergirl #20 (which I liked), Superboy Vol. 1 (which I didnít like), and Action Comics #19 for the Andy Diggle issue, which was awesome. However, the awesome trailers made Man of Steel probably the film that I was most looking forward to this year for me, and I seriously hoped that it would deliver. And, did it deliver?

Yes. A million times over. Zack Snyder stepped up, and knocked it out of the park. Having not seen any Superman films before I canít judge it based on them, but Man of Steel was awesome. Everything about it superb. The casting, spot on. Russell Crowe impresses as Jor-El in almost every scene, Henry Cavill was born to play Superman, and Amy Adams gets a great role as Lois Lane, whose character I didnít initially care for before the film, but now, I think that Lois had easily some of the best moments here. Everybody in their respective roles acted really well, and the plot itself, whilst it does not particularly break any new ground originality wise Ė it doesnít seem to matter. After all, Avengers & Transformers 3 both shared similar plots, and people still seemed to enjoy Avengers a lot more than Transfomers 3. I loved Avengers and am yet to see Transformers 3, but Man of Steel - for me, is better than any Marvel film that Iíve seen. Whilst it may not be as amusing as Avengers, the film itself doesnít need to be. After all, The Dark Knight didnít have any laughs and it was still a success. So why canít Man of Steel?

Iíve already talked about the plot briefly, but hereís a slightly more, spoiler-free in depth summary. Krypton is destroyed in a jaw-dropping opening sequence that sees Jor-El and Kara, send their son Kal-El into space whilst attempting to repel an attack by General Zod, who has attempted a coup of the Kryptonian Democratic Government just before its inevitable demise. The entire sequence has amazing visuals, and Hans Zimmer is absolutely superb with his music here. It hits all the right levels and delivers a great beginning for an equally stunning film that follows.

If youíve seen the trailers like I have, then youíll no doubt be aware that Man of Steel deals with young Clarkís life as well as his current life as Superman, and rather than show it in a chronological order, we are given flashbacks to Clarkís time on the Kent farm, and I loved the way it was all interwined. David S. Goyer writes an incredible script and there wasnít really any lines that came across as cheesy or out of place, even General Zodís ďI will find him!Ē shout, which didnít quite work for me in the trailer. Several sequences are really top notch, and they all add up to a great experience.

Even though I havenít seen any Superman films, I know enough about them to know that the flaws in some of them are mainly because an involvement of Lex Luthor, or Kryptonite. Well, let me tell you Ė thereís nothing of Lex or Kryptonite in Man of Steel here, and Superman gets throw his weight around in several action packed sequences, culminating in a grand spectacle of a fight between General Zod and Kal-El.

The film also has a hard task of making the Man of Steel a character that we can relate to. It doesnít paint him as the traditional, cheesy Boy-Scout character,and it manages to succeed in that matter. Heís clearly an outsider, struggling to fit in Ė and itís very interesting in the flashback scenes allowed by the non-linear narrative to watch him overcome his lack of connection. Thereís a nice nod to Lana Lang as well, a character who Iím not that familiar with Ė but I know enough about. Other characters are really strong as well, and the only minor, minor complaint is that Zod feels too like a generic big-bad, and although that we know that Superman will eventually overcome his enemies, because well Ė heís Superman, but he does present a greater threat than Loki ever did in Avengers, actually coming closer to world destruction.

So, with that said, I can say that Man of Steel was a very enjoyable film, and therefore Ė possibly my favourite superhero flick since The Dark Knight. Loved every second of it. If you like superhero films at all, you should go and see this film. It runs circles around Iron Man 3 (which I enjoyed a lot), and now holds my position for best film of 2013 so far. So, with all that said, when can I see it again?

VERDICT: 5/5

Man of Steel - Official Trailer 3 [HD] - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 12:00 AM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Finally good movie about Superman after 30 years of waiting. Most of actors do pretty decent job, script was ok and it didnt go to straight comedy like we see especially on many marvel adaptions. Even though it differs little from original Superman, cant wait to see next part.

Christopher Reeve cant be still topped as Superman, Cavill is quite good and definately better than boyish Brandon from Superman returns but dont come even close. Still think that first Superman movie from 1978 is better.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 12:04 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
Even though I havenít seen any Superman films, I know enough about them to know that the flaws in some of them are mainly because an involvement of Lex Luthor, or Kryptonite. Well, let me tell you Ė thereís nothing of Lex or Kryptonite in Man of Steel here...
You weren't paying close enough attention then....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
You weren't paying close enough attention then....

No, I spotted that, I was talking about the person not having a key role in the film, I probably should have explained that a bit clearer. And yeah, I saw the satellite and I know which one you're referring to, but I missed the logo.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 10:15 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Quote:
No, I spotted that, I was talking about the person not having a key role in the film, I probably should have explained that a bit clearer. And yeah, I saw the satellite and I know which one you're referring to, but I missed the logo.
Fair enough then...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 07:34 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

Movie was awesome. Saw it last night. I saw the Lexcorp truck but not the Wayne logo. Also on the mention of Kryptonite; take into account that Kryptonite is fragments of Krypton. When he gets on the Kryptonian ship he immediately gets weak. Same premise as Kryptonite, though it was explained as "atmospheric changes". Basically he comes in contact with a piece of his homeworld and becomes a normal guy again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 05:42 AM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Not seen this yet, but i would like to see a trinity movie...Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman....that might be awesome if done properly.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothik View Post
Not seen this yet, but i would like to see a trinity movie...Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman....that might be awesome if done properly.
True, they should do this next after Man of Steel 2, which looks like is going to happen first. Use MoS 2 as a way of introducing a new Batman & a new Gotham, as it looks as thougn it won't take place in Nolan's Universe, through news reports & cameos (say as superheroes are following Superman's example, or Batman has been around longer than Superman but only dealing with small time thugs, ala Arkham Origins, which introduces the rogues a few years into his career, etc), & then spend the Trinity film dealing around the meeting of Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 07:25 AM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
True, they should do this next after Man of Steel 2, which looks like is going to happen first. Use MoS 2 as a way of introducing a new Batman & a new Gotham, as it looks as thougn it won't take place in Nolan's Universe, through news reports & cameos (say as superheroes are following Superman's example, or Batman has been around longer than Superman but only dealing with small time thugs, ala Arkham Origins, which introduces the rogues a few years into his career, etc), & then spend the Trinity film dealing around the meeting of Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman.
Like the Nightwing avatar Bane, Wonder Woman is one of DC's iconic characters and it would be good to focus on her too, i mean Marvel have done that with Elektra and Black Widow and the X-Women, if done properly and not cheesy it would be an awesome movie, especially with the popularity that the Batman Films have garnered and the MOS aswell, its time for those who want to do DC characters to give Wonder Woman, Black Canary, Huntress and others an eventual spotlight, and if they decide to do a JL movie then base it on the JL now, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman. Maybe that could be the lead into a Trinity movie
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothik View Post
Like the Nightwing avatar Bane, Wonder Woman is one of DC's iconic characters and it would be good to focus on her too, i mean Marvel have done that with Elektra and Black Widow and the X-Women, if done properly and not cheesy it would be an awesome movie, especially with the popularity that the Batman Films have garnered and the MOS aswell, its time for those who want to do DC characters to give Wonder Woman, Black Canary, Huntress and others an eventual spotlight, and if they decide to do a JL movie then base it on the JL now, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman. Maybe that could be the lead into a Trinity movie
Nightwing's one of my favourite DC characters at the moment, loving his ongoing New 52 series (a real shame the artist is leaving though), and he's pretty awesome in Injustice: Gods Among Us as well. Yeah, I'd love to see a Wonder Woman film.

Black Canary is presumably featuring in Arrow - I believe it's been stated somewhere that Laurel Lance, Oliver Queen's love interest, may become her at some point - although I hate the character at the moment, and the Lance family in general aren't that good. However, it'll be interesting to see if Arrow is connected somehow to the Man of Steel film universe - I'd love to see Stephen Amell's Arrow meet up with Henry Cavill's Superman at some point, however unlikely that is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode