Matt Smith Quits Doctor Who - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Matt Smith Quits Doctor Who

Well, can't say I'm disappointed but rather pleased. He wasn't a bad Dr but he was out of control of the situations pretty much every time, it was like he had no idea most the time and while a bit of that is ok, to much and he comes across as incompetent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 09:11 AM
bobss's Flag is: England

How many years was he on for? Doctors these days lack the persistence of the oldies.

Every Doctor has their own style, but Matt's honestly felt like a step down from Tennant's.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 09:22 AM
Fantasy Rumors

revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom

What a shame i kind of like his madness. The question is now "Who" is going to replace him.

Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 09:40 AM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think he was good in his own right, but a lot of poor script writing just let him down. I mean from what I've seen of the most recent series the episodes were downright boring and predictable. The previous series weren't as bad, though Karen Gillan's acting (no complaints about the actress herself ) sort of spoiled it again.

This is my theory on the Dr Who revival. Ecclestone was essentially the pilot, to see if there was still interest in the programme. Tennant was the one to re-popularise it, initially with the old fans but then expanding the audience. Smith was the one to bring its focus back to the younger audience (read: 7-12 or so), meaning much simpler plots and less 'scary' adversaries. Hopefully they'll step up a gear with the next Doctor and get a mix of Tennant and Smith.

That all said, I do agree that Tennant was by far superior, though I did actually quite like Chris Ecclestone's Doctor. Now we'll just have to wait and see who they cast - I want to say Benedict Cumberbatch but I feel he's too 'big' for that role now, and also there's just something not quite right about it for me. Other than that I'd prefer someone we haven't really heard of before - it keeps things fresh. Oh, and get some new script writers. Please.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 10:01 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its john hurt. I have no idea why I watched it but i did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 10:15 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

I liked him (even though I didn't think I would) he suffered from his character being given horrendously confused characterisation especially his first series.

I do hope Paterson Joseph does get it this time around

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 10:22 AM
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

I think I read somewhere that there were rumors of the next Time Lord being a Time Lady 'shockhorror'

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
How many years was he on for? Doctors these days lack the persistence of the oldies.

Every Doctor has their own style, but Matt's honestly felt like a step down from Tennant's.
4 years.

I highly doubt Benedict will be up for it, after Star Trek he's being tipped for big things in Hollywood. Although I believe he did say he'd return to do Sherlock now and then.

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 06-02-13 at 10:28 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 11:19 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

After fours years its not really surprising, and heck, its longer then some doctors. Colin Baker and Peter Davidson only lasted for two years.... Its Tom Baker doing it for nearly 7 years that throws most people.

Anyway.. I liked Matt as the Doctor... Sure he wasn't David Tennant, but as pointed out, he was the Doctor when the show was becoming its most popular again, so of course people will remember him more, but Matt brought his own flavour to the role and made his Doctor truly his.... Think we can all agree though he was way better then Eccleston.

Anyway... as for the new Doctor? Much as I'd love to see Cumberbatch taking the role, think that with his Hollywood success he may not come back and do it.. be great if he did though, afterall he's naturally ginger I believe.

As for the other suggestions? A female timelord would cause way too much trouble with the fanboys. Yes, its progressive and all that... but 11 generations and never a gender change to suddenly get it? There would be too much kicking off and backlash... the same with the rumours about them replacing him with the first black doctor... again, would cause too much trouble with the fanboys and the BBC won't want that.

Bookies favourites are apparently Russell Tovey, who I don't like. He was only good in Being Human, he's been crap in everything else he's done. And Rupert Grint. I can see too many people making Harry Potter comparrisions if that happened so I just can't see that one myself.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 11:28 AM

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

so the story rumoured to be behind john hurt being the doctor anyone any info on it?, all i heard was that he is the real 9th doctor and he hid that reincarnation of him self through shame of what he did during the time wars,

anyone heard anything else?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode