Your Favourite TV Shows? (SFF, Crime etc) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-13, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Your Favourite TV Shows? (SFF, Crime etc)

So, what are your favourite shows? Here's mine to kick things off:

Firefly - The best show of All Time and you can probably tell this by my avatar and sig. Space Opera/Western, original, funny, should be cheesy-but-isn't, entertaining and the only downside is that it lasted only one season.

Doctor Who - Though Series 7 isn't as good as previous years, it's still a firm favourite and you can't get a better British SF show than this.

Game of Thrones - Whilst the writer's need to put sex in every episode is unnecessary, the series itself still manages to tell an epic storyline (with help from GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire), great cast, great settings, and generally just epic.

The Walking Dead - Zombie Survival Horror at its best. Haven't seen the second season like Game of Thrones, but it's still really awesome. Strong characters, great plot and more fun.

Supernatural - Am a recent convert to this show and despite the low-budget special effects in the first season, it's quickly becoming more and more awesome. Whilst I'm not caught up yet as I've barely just started Season 2, it's very fun, with some great original monsters of the week that aren't just vampires and ghosts, and has some fantastic chemistry between the lead cast.

Sherlock - Why oh why must there only be three episodes per Season with such a large gap between the Seasons and a cliffhanger at in the finale? Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are superb as the modern day interpretations of Holmes and Watson and there hasn't been a bad episode thus so far. (Granted, there has only been 6).

Sharpe - Based on Bernard Cornwell's fantastic novels. Really fun to watch, well written and a must for anybody who likes historical fiction.

Arrow - OK, this is probably not as ranked as high as the others, but if you want an entertaining superhero, ongoing TV show without the superpowers (so far), then look no further. Although it starts off fairly average and at times feels like a Batman Begins rip-off with largely forgettable villains in the first half of the series, the latter half is superb and as the series finale is on tonight for US viewers and next Monday for UK folks like myself, it looks set to end its first Season with a bang. The fact that it's been renewed for its second season also helps.

I think I've covered everything. It's not in order apart form Firefly being at the top, and there's probably going to be some additions but for now this is it. Feel free to organise your list however you wish, but an explanation as to why they're your favourite would be nice.

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 05-17-13 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-13, 08:34 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

Walking Dead.....awesome show and the twist being the living are the walking dead is excellent.

Mrs Browns Boys....its funny, its original and i love it.

Big Bang Theory...Sheldon need i say more.

revolution - saw the pilot and sky recorded the rest. i used to watch Dark Angel and the premise is more or less the same, an electric pulse wipes out the stockmarkets, and this is pretty good, seperate nations, different laws, i will watch the rest of it and if it continues to be as good as the Pilot was then it might well become one of my favourites.

We have recorded New Deliverance but not watched it yet, other half was looking foward to that so when we have watched it i will see if it is any good.

Tried Continum but i couldnt quite get my head round it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 09:47 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Dexter. So darkly funny, and Micheal C. Hall is brilliant.

The Walking Dead. I love anything to do with zombies.

The Inbetweeners. There have been times when I have quite literally nearly pissed myself laughing.

Game of Thrones. I love seeing something I've been reading for years make it to the big screen.

The Big Bang Theory. Just too damn funny.

Duck Dynasty. Red neck comedy at it's best. Even if it's a reality show.

Breaking Bad. I'm only coming to the end of season 3, but this is one of the most original shows in a long time.

Deadliest Catch. Don't know why, but it's one of the most gripping shows on TV.

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 04:25 PM

Dragblud da scrunka's Flag is: United Kingdom

True Blood. A dirty mix of blood, sex, violence, vampires, werewolves, shifters and all the like very good!

Dexter fo sho, just well written to the fact it screws with your morality.

House M.D. Arrogant know-it-all Doctor that is drug addled and broken. Played by Hugh Laurie who rocks in everyway possible!.

Boardwalk empire, Prohibition america realy cool mainly because I like that era of fashion, music and history

Breaking Bad, Hal from malcom in the middle with some of the best acting I have ever watched!

The walking dead, Zombies need say more?

Im also looking forward to Dracula looks very good!!!!

WAAAAGH Dragblud
W: 22 D: 6 L: 13

Space marines: Krakens Fury! (TBF)
W: 0 D: 0 L: 0
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 09:33 PM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

I dont watch a whole lot of television so I've only got three

Doctor who, while the current doctor isn't the best but still enjoyable.

Hannibal, a fairly violent crime show, set just before silence of the lambs. Him and another criminal empathist go aroud catching loonatics.

Criminal minds, kind of softcore compaired to hannibal but still a good story also its time falls just before hannibal

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 11:59 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

That I still watch - supernatural, doctor who, sherlock, big bang, how i met your mother. That are now finished - Avatar the Last Airbender

Crimson Tears
Win Ratio: 5-2-2 (7th)

Wood Elves (Plog)
Win Ratio: 6-3-1 (new book)

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 12:26 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

In no particular order

Fringe:

Farscape:

The Shield:

The Big Bang Theory:

Sharpe:

Red Dwarf:

Dr Who: - the 70's in particular

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Knew there was something I forgot. Sharpe. Awesome show, awesome books.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 09:26 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lexx: Screw Firefly and Doctor Who THIS is the best Sci Fi ever.

Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman cartoons from the 90s. Best cartoons ever.

Fringe: Other than the last season this was just plain win.

Jeeves and Wooster : Best British comedy ever second only to Blackadder.

Blackadder: Best comedy ever, shits all over recent comedys.

As for awesome shows that I'm currently watching; Continuum, Person of Interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 09:42 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Supernatural:
My favorite show of all time. The creativity behind those monsters (which we have seen a thousand times), the chemistry between Sam and Dean, the stories and the excellent mix of drama and humor makes it a perfect show for me. It has never disappointed me and the fact that it has been running for 8 season now, with 23 episodes in each, and 2 more on the way? Impressive feat!

Jack Bauer is probably the only guy alive, that can make Chuck Norris seem like a chipmunk in ladies clothes. This guy can save the world using a cell phone and a handgun. The fact that he can speeddial his office from any phone he finds, and that any ammo clip he finds matches any gun on the market, just adds to the insane feats this guy can pull off.

I love the tension and the themes in this series though. I can't wait for the upcoming revival of the show!

Doctor Who
Everyone has already stated why this show is awesome.

Justified
Only recently got into this show, but it is much better than I anticipated. I've always had a weakness for those american hillbilly shows, and this has a perfect mix of that and modern-day gun slinging. If you haven't watched it yet, I can only recommend it.

House M.D.
Hugh Laurie just rocks this show. Perfect mix of case-by-case medical cases, sharp humor and dramatic relationships.

Last edited by Nordicus; 05-17-13 at 09:44 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode