Star Trek Into Darkness (Heavy Spoilers) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Star Trek Into Darkness (Heavy Spoilers)

Don't read this thread if you don't want it spoiled.

So what did you think of it? I just got back and imo it was better than the first one. It was a lot less complicated, no time travel etc and it felt more in touch with the original films, especially with the villain who turns out to be Khan which I was hoping it would be, I especially thought the reversal of Spock shouting Khan!!! was funny and a nod to the originals.

Glad to see Simon Pegg have a larger part in this film and a return to his sidekick. I hope it's not the last we've seen of Benedict, I'd like to see his character developed more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 05:57 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

I just got back from seeing the movie. The only thing I would've wanted more of was the Klingons and more space battle action. Other than that I have no criticism, Benedict played khan brilliantly and pine was pretty good as kirk as well.

I agree with McCoy, I'd never want to piss Zulu off.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 06:49 PM

arlins's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsmith7752 View Post

I agree with McCoy, I'd never want to piss Zulu off.
they had Zulu,s in star trek , awesome .
or did you mean sulu
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 07:09 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlins View Post
they had Zulu,s in star trek , awesome .
or did you mean sulu
Oh shit, have i been getting that wrong this whole time? I've only ever heard te name so just assumed it was a Z. I dont deserve to be called a trekkie any more.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah Zulu's were last spotted at Rork's Drift
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 08:45 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I'd think I'd go as far as to saying that this one was the best Star Trek film to date. I loved it.

Anyone else feel it's probably called into darkness as they couldn't afford the lens flare generator this time around? lol

Anyway.. seriously though... I loved how they portrayed Khan and the role reversal between Kirk and Spock. A great twist on the classic movie that really helped to make this film.

Also, the redesign of the Klingons.. much more menacing then the origionals, but they did feel a little too squishy with how easily they were beaten by the crew. Would have bene nice to see much more of them.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 09:36 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm guessing that I'm the only one who didn't like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

How come you didn't like it?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 11:24 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

I liked the film, but not because of the film. I couldnt stop laughing at all the one liners, crew interplay, and thought the chemistry was classic. With McCoy and Scotty being pure genius. I also actually cheered when the bald guy actually spoke -does he have a name?- But thats pretty much where my enjoyment ended.

I preferred the villain until he was revealed to be Kahn, i think it just blowed and as far as I'm concerned they didn't need to have him be Kahn and was just thrown in the for the hell of it. More of a 'look guys, we have the same villain as the original second movie aren't we cool'.

I also cant believe you actually liked the Spock/Kirk Kahn reverse, it actually made me cringe while watching it was that bad. Plus anyone with a brain saw what was coming the moment the Tribble was injected. Which makes the Kahn scene worse, since it robs Spocks 'revenge' of any real emotion that scene could have had because we knew he was coming back.

-Im going to use actors names for this part because i dont want to cause confusion.I didn't like Quinto contacting Nimoy either. That was god awful. So what I'm going to break rules because its Kahn!? While Quinto Spock is more open to his human side, Nimoy never was and logic wouldn't have allowed him to mention Kahn to Quinto. Also Nimoy Kahn was in part the danger because of his vendetta against Kirk because of Space Seed, the loss of his Wife and in the end, the loss of his crew/family hence the explosion, he had nothing left. All those factors are what made Nimoy Kahn so deadly and widely revered as a villain. Quinto Kahn had none of that. And while he wanted vengeance, it was primarily against the admiral. Yes he by extension wanted Starfleet destroyed it wasn't his primary goal. So for Quinto just to listen to Nimoy about a Kahn from another timeline and treat his Kahn as if it were the same danger and evil just didn't make any sense to me.

The whole Admiral wanting to start a war was terrible, especially since in the first film Starfleet is refereed to as an Armada ie a collection of Warships. Not this nice lovely peace core - though i know that in Generations, the subsequent films and DS9 the federation we portrayed to be rather dark considering.

Only real positive I can see is that possibly the film is opened up for a Klingon war but even I'm not sure of that since I cant remember if the Klingons found out if they were actualy with Starfleet or not.

This is a minor point but im also not sold of the Spock/Ohura relationship, it really bothers me and just seems forced. Though this could be i think there will only be one person to love Spock and that was Christine Chapel. But this just sit right, then in the shuttle with Ohura mad at Spock for not having an emotional response...... Wow, just wow......

I could go on but im busy with other things. Btw im not flaming the film, im just after a discussion about it If you liked it, you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I'm guessing that I'm the only one who didn't like it?
Nope I didn't like it either.

The scripting was horrible and it was always trying to be far to fast paced. I went home and watched the Wrath of Khan afterwards and it was so much better than In to Darkness because it focused on the stry more and the battles had tension. It wasn't just big explosions and forced comedy.

The plot was predictable as soon as Dr Marcuson showed up, and then when the tribble was injected you just wanted to scream NO, you CAAAAAAAANNNNNN't do this (see what I did there).

At the end of the day, they were supposed to be rebooting the series, they should not be going back and rehashing old films. Wrath of Khan is the best of the old films. Khan is one of the all time legendary bad guys in any sci fi series. And the death of spock, killing off key cast members in films wasnt the done thing back then, but it worked because it was unexpected, gace them a twist and gave them a cool sequel. This time it was just obvious and meh, seen that. They have just wrecked all of that.

If they slowed things down and allowed people to sit back and enjoy the plot unfolding it would have been better. Listen to the origional spock talk and listen to the new one, if you can. The current one is speaking stupidly fast to get his points of logic across. It's farcical. Lets explore the characters rather than give them stupid one liners and a gung ho attitude. Is every film now going to be the same gung ho kirk vs speed talking spock with the odd McCoyism thrown in ?

I do like the cast for the most part. I do like spock despite his speech problems. I think karl urban is a good bones but does try too hard to sound like him. I do not like scotty. He just comes across as a clown and not funny at all. Didnt like him in the first film, didnt like him for this. Would have prefered Paul McGillon (Dr Carson in stargate atlantis) but I guess hes a bit old.

Sulu ( zulu ) is excellent, by far the best of the group, checkov is good, kirk ok, don't like how he tries to copy shatners facial expressions and poses though.

I'm dreading what the next film will be. At least it cant be a rehash of search for spock. I do NOT want to see the Borg, Q or ejecting warp cores to save the day only to pick up a spare from a passing space vendor who just happens to have one to fit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode