Movies You Refuse To Watch. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

Default Movies You Refuse To Watch.

What movies do you refuse to watch based on content you either do not agree with or that you find offensive?

Do you base this on your belief systems, a general sense you have for what you feel is right or wrong or some other reason?

Do you actually choose to not watch the movie or do you just skip the parts you find offensive?

Do you think that the views of people would change if they knew the story behind a movie instead of how it is portrayed in the film?

For example Hercules the animated movie put out by Disney is touted as a family film with the following:

Quote:
After imprisoning the Titans beneath the ocean, the Greek gods Zeus and his wife Hera have a son named Hercules. While the other gods are joyful, Zeus' jealous brother Hades plots to overthrow Zeus and rule Mount Olympus. Turning to the Fates for help, Hades learns that in eighteen years, a planetary alignment will allow Hades to locate and free the Titans to conquer Olympus, but only if Hercules does not interfere. Hades sends his minions Pain and Panic to dispose of Hercules. The two succeed at kidnapping and feeding him a formula that turns him mortal, but fail to remove his superhuman strength before Hercules is found and adopted by the farmers Amphitryon and Alcmene.

Years later, the teenaged Hercules becomes an outcast due to his strength, and wonders where he came from. After his foster parents reveal the necklace they found him with, Hercules decides to visit the temple of Zeus for answers. The temple's statue of Zeus comes to life and reveals all to Hercules, telling him that he can regain his godhood by becoming a "true hero". Zeus sends Hercules and his forgotten infant-hood friend Pegasus to find the satyr Philoctetes—"Phil" for short—who is known for training heroes. The two meet Phil, who has retired from training heroes due to numerous disappointments, but Hercules inspires him to follow his dream to train a true hero who will be recognized by the gods. Phil trains Hercules into a potential hero, and when he is older, they fly for Thebes. On the way, they meet Megara—"Meg" for short—a sarcastic damsel who Hercules saves from the centaur Nessus. However, after Hercules, Phil, and Pegasus leave, Meg is revealed to be Hades' minion, having sold her soul to him to save an unfaithful lover.

Arriving in Thebes, Hercules finds himself unwanted by the downtrodden citizens until Meg appears, claiming two boys are trapped in a gorge. Hercules saves them, unaware that they are Pain and Panic in disguise, allowing Hades to summon the Hydra to fight Hercules. Hercules continually cuts off its heads, but more heads replace them until Hercules kills the monster by causing a landslide. Hercules is seen as a hero and a celebrity, but Zeus tells Hercules he is not yet a true hero. Driven to depression, Hercules turns to Meg, who is falling in love with him. Hades learns of this and makes a deal with Hercules, to give up his powers for twenty-four hours and Meg will be unharmed. Hercules agrees, losing his strength, and is shocked when Hades reveals that Meg is working for him.

Hades unleashes the Titans who climb Olympus and capture the gods, whilst a Cyclops goes to Thebes to kill Hercules. Phil inspires Hercules to fight and kill the cyclops, but Meg is crushed by a falling pillar saving Hercules from it, allowing him to regain his strength. Hercules and Pegasus fly to Olympus where they free the gods and launch the Titans into space where they explode, though Meg dies before he returns to her. With Meg's soul now Hades' property, Hercules breaks into the Underworld where he negotiates with Hades to free Meg from the Styx in exchange for his own life. His willingness to sacrifice his life restores his godhood and immortality before the life-draining river can kill him, and he rescues Meg and punches Hades into the Styx. After reviving Meg, Hercules and his friends are summoned to Olympus where Zeus and Hera welcome their son home. However, Hercules decides to remain on Earth with Meg with his parents' blessing. Hercules returns to Thebes where he is hailed as a true hero as Zeus creates a picture of Hercules in the stars commemorating his heroism.
apologies for using wrongapedia but after all this is not a paper on physics so does not need to be absolutely correct. And as much as I hate to admit it the site is becoming a lot better at filtering its wrong information.

However the true story of Hercules is quite different from that of Disneys portrayal.
  • Hercules was born from the infidelity of Zeus and his relationship with a mortal woman.
  • Hera the wife of Zeus raged over this and sent two serpents to kill Hercules in his crib.(unsuccessfully)
  • Hercules was married to Megara and had two children. Hera made Hercules insane at which time he killed Megara and their children.
  • To atone for his crimes he was assigned 12 tasks which he completed more often than not in a disingenuous and underhanded way often blaming others for mistakes or failings.
  • Hercules was murdered by his second wife who rightly suspected him of cheating on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 02:57 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

The Twilight Saga I think is my answer here. Mainly for the abomination that is named "Vampires", the fact that apparently you can tell who's a Werewolf by who's not wearing a shirt or not. Not my sort of movie, and therefore - I don't think I would even watch it if I was paid to. (well, It depends on how much.)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 03:00 PM

Zero Effect's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
The Twilight Saga I think is my answer here. Mainly for the abomination that is named "Vampires", the fact that apparently you can tell who's a Werewolf by who's not wearing a shirt or not. Not my sort of movie, and therefore - I don't think I would even watch it if I was paid to. (well, It depends on how much.)
Here here, well said and I second that motion!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 03:02 PM
Craw-Daddy

Yep, I believe Hercules originally killed his first wife out of anger. And I believe it was that and him cursing the gods that were the cause of his crimes.

As far as films go I have a problem with many films but I still give them a chance. After that chance i make a judgement. I don't mind adaptations of films or offensive films. I'll watch them to see whats going on.

The only movies I've ever had a problem watching was Lincoln and Cloud Atlas. They were both long and boring. Cloud Atlas was suppose to show some kind of beautiful message or what not, and I couldn't help but view it as political bullshit. Lincoln was so crap, and this was the first time I looked around the movie theater to see if I was the only one pretty much waiting for it to end. I've watched all Lord of the Rings! I know how a dragged movie can feel like. So basically, I don't pass judgement until I watch films. If I dislike or feel offended because of a movie, its usually because I feel the movie did a bad job of representing something or someone in a film.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

I think Bane's answer will be very popular.

Anything based upon a video game or (Heaven help us all) a fucking Boardgame (I'm looking at you Battleship).

I would watch most movies even if I didn't agree with their viewpoints. I'm pretty respectful of others right to be wrong.

Abandon GW, win back your wallet. Play Infinity!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 03:32 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I think the only film I have ever found offensive was a shit horror film I saw recently that had a scene of dogs being skinned alive right at the beginning, the footage looked real and was supposed to show how sick and twisted we are as a species, I suspect it was just there to shock.
Other than that I refuse to watch chickflicks, they are without exception utter tripe and I would rather stick hot pins in my eyes than sit through another There's Something About Mary or 50 First Dates. Twilight is a no go too, a chickflick with sparkly vampires? I'd rather be the victim of a gang rape than sit through that IQ destroying drivel!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 03:42 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Fucking Twilight. I shouldn't even have to begin to explain why.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:17 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Pretty much what has been said before. Also included is that relentless Disney dickfuck (High School Musical, 17 Again, etc etc).

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:44 PM