The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Possible Spoilers) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-12, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Possible Spoilers)

Really enjoyed it, pace was slow in areas but overall it was a good set up to the next films, drew a lot from the appendices of Lord of the Rings though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-12, 01:51 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I loved it. My favorite movie of the year, closely followed by The Dark Knight Rises.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-12, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I thought the battle scenes were to fast, there was a bit to much dialogue that wasn't very important either that could of been used to lengthen the fight scenes or slow down the "chase" sequence.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-12, 11:38 PM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

It still hasn't been released here in Australia
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-12, 12:48 AM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Just saw it, loved it. Dwarves has always been my favorite fantasy race, and this just helps bolster my liking of them! the part at the beginning was beautiful, majestic as fuck, and still the awesome dwarven strength shown through like a full moon on the darkest of nights.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-12, 08:27 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

I'm going to watch it this afternoon, and cannot wait, loved the trilogy but haven't yet read The Hobbit book yet. Something I need to remedy ASAP, I think, although I've got two massive epic fantasy books (Red Knight by Miles Cameron and Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson) reading at the same time. (Ebook and Paperback).
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-12, 08:44 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
but haven't yet read The Hobbit book yet.
Haven`t read it either, and am saving it for until I have seen the two other movies.

Seen the movie twice now, and it is easily the best movie of the year in my opinion. I love it when a movie is both hilarious and serious at the same time. Might have to go see it a third time still as long as its on the cinema. This is one of the few movies I think was really well done in 3D, and I dont regret for a second going on the 3D version instead of the 2D one.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 12-15-12 at 08:47 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-12, 05:53 PM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Haven`t read it either, and am saving it for until I have seen the two other movies.

Seen the movie twice now, and it is easily the best movie of the year in my opinion. I love it when a movie is both hilarious and serious at the same time. Might have to go see it a third time still as long as its on the cinema. This is one of the few movies I think was really well done in 3D, and I dont regret for a second going on the 3D version instead of the 2D one.
OMG!!! You haven't read the book? Well the good news is you are in for a treat. It's your classic adventure story that I believe was the basis for all fantasy books since. The movie was pretty true to the book. There were a few deviations where Peter Jackson, rather than just referencing side stories, developed them in his movie that I thought were improvements to the book. He's also tying this into the trilogy really well too.

Even my wife is looking forward to seeing this again. I may have to get a movie size tv screen to watch this movie at home when this comes out on dvd...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-12, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I'd say half the movie was based on the hobbit the other half was drawn from the Lord of the Rings Appendices.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-12, 06:50 PM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
I'd say half the movie was based on the hobbit the other half was drawn from the Lord of the Rings Appendices.
It's been a long time since I've read the book, but you are partially right. Some of it was. Some of the book covers what preceded The Hobbit covering a little history of the dwarves leading up to The Hobbit. To me that was a net bonus... In the book The Hobbit itself, there are references to where Gandalf went when he left the dwarves and that was more fully developed in the movie which I also really appreciated.

It's been so long that I don't remember if Radagast was more than mentioned in The Hobbit. It seems that Gandalf did meet with him at some point but I can't remember... His inclusion in the movie I believe was not in the book, but I was happy for it. I really did like how some of the references made in the book were more developed in the movie. I think it's time to re-read the book!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode