The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Possible Spoilers) - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 10:38 AM

Dīnadan's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
The ork warlord in my opinion was actually pretty badass. At least my opinion. He looked more badass than the orks that walk around like they're old men.
Except Orcs aren't supposssed to be mega baddasses - they're not 40k Orks. In the books, orcs are suppossed to be smaller than men and unless I've completely misremembered, are generally described as hunched and crook limbed - it's only Uruk-hai/Black Orcs who are man-high.

As for accuracy of the LotR films, I agree that they also took liberties with plot elements and designs of that, but that doesn't mean they can do whatever they like with TH. Ultimately, I think it's best to view the film not as an adaptation, but rather it should be considered as "Peter Jackson's The Hobbit" - that way it stands up better (like I said, it was good as a Fantasy film, just not as a tolkien film to me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Did no one else feel the action scenes were to quick and rushed? I honestly couldn't take a lot of it in, especially the escape from goblin town, I wanted to see killing and combat like in moria at balin's tomb.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 06:06 PM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dīnadan View Post
To be honest, I found the film fairly disapointing, but that could be because I fall on the 'purist' side of the fence. As a Fantasy film, it was very good, but as an adaptation I felt like it fell short. That said, some of it is probably down to personal taste. Because I'm lazy, I'll just copy & paste a review I wrote on another site, rather than trying to remember all the pros and cons off hand:

Being a person who was incredibly pleased with the movie, I can still concede that your points are sound. I'm not sure how old you are, but I used to feel the same way. After decades of seeing movies deviate from amazing book plots I just got tired of being disappointed all the time and my expectations have changed to reflect that. I'm paying to see the movie to enjoy it, so my expectations have changed and now I'm just happy when they get it somewhat right. Like you, I feel if it isn't broken... don't fix it.

I'm going to be digging my bok out of storage to read it again just for fun. It's been about a decade... I don't remember the dwarves going to Rivendell. Did that actually happen?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeto View Post
I'm going to be digging my bok out of storage to read it again just for fun. It's been about a decade... I don't remember the dwarves going to Rivendell. Did that actually happen?
Yep, except instead of stumbling in by a secret passage, they entered by purpose. (I suppose you could argue that in the film Gandalf leads them in via that route by design, but that just comes off as a bit contrived and convenient considering it's used as an escape from Azog's attack :/)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yep, except instead of stumbling in by a secret passage, they entered by purpose. (I suppose you could argue that in the film Gandalf leads them in via that route by design, but that just comes off as a bit contrived and convenient considering it's used as an escape from Azog's attack :/)
It's definitely time for me to re-read it then because I have no memory of that. I think the dwarves do believe Gandalf tricked them into going there, but yeah... It would have made more sense for them to do it knowingly. I like how you say it... Peter Jacksons The Hobbit haha It kinda sums up why I am so accepting and able to enjoy it so much. 20 years ago I would probably have been disappointed too. All things considered, can you imagine how things would have turned out had some other guy produced this movie?
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeto View Post
All things considered, can you imagine how things would have turned out had some other guy produced this movie?
Yeah, probably a good thing George Lucas didn't get the rights
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-12, 12:29 AM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Quote:
We always meant to have Worg Riders in the background
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-12, 03:18 AM

Quote:
OMG! How true is that?
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-12, 01:55 AM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
"Tell me, young Jackson...did you ever hear the Tragedy Of Darth Lucas?"
"...no."
"I thought not...it's not a story the Screenwriter's Guild would tell you. It's a film legend. Darth Lucas was a director so powerful, and so rich, that he thought he could use his money to come up with decent scripts himself. He had such conviction in his own ability to write that he could even keep the actors he cared about...from ever getting their hands on decent dialogue."
"He could actually fuck films up that badly?"
"Having so much money is a pathway to directorial decisions some would consider to be...unnatural."

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-12, 02:32 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Something about the CGI used and the way the dwarves and Azog in particular were touched up in post production really bothered me. Most of the dwarves, just looked very computer enhanced, everything was a bit too glossy and smooth, perhaps as a result of the 48fps. But I distinctly remember no such thoughts when seeing Gimli in Lord of the Rings, nothing about him looked fake, looked like he could genuinely be a dwarf, where as the Hobbit dwarves all looked very blatantly fake. As for Azog, I couldn't stand any moment he was on screen because of how absurdly CGI'ed he looked, was beyond distracting.

I was also a bit perplexed by the enormity of the goblin king, nothing about the goblins sat right really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode