Pacific Rim - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 10:50 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I called mine Royal Archon (it would be a british Jaeger) or my personal one would be Jaeger Deimos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 01:37 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Actually, given enough time there wouldn't even be a fossil record since the tectonic recycling process of crustal materials (where stuff eventually gets convected down into deep magma) gives a maximum reliable record time of ~200 million years for oceanic basalts (whereas continental rocks can be up to a couple of billion years if the vagaries of tectonics haven't recycled that particular section of the planet's crust). So, past a certain date in the deep past we wouldn't necessarily have any means of working out what was there at all.

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 08:05 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Yeah, except they said they were here when the dinosaurs were...which is well within the fossil record.
I'm a little unclear as to whether they were supposed to be the dinosaurs, or if they were supposed to have killed the dinosaurs. I took it to mean that they were the dinosaurs, which made the 'two brains, just like dinosaurs' thing make a tiny bit more sense later (even if it was retarded), others took it to mean that they were sent to kill the dinosaurs.

Which, again, is stupid because we know what killed the dinosaurs.

QIf they'd left the bloody dinosaurs out of it I'd be 100% content with the movie. but as it stands, 98% ain't bad.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 09:02 PM

The dinosaurs were here, not the masters, the dinosaurs where mini kaiju who scouted earth but found the land didn't support silicon base lifeforms who fed off ammonia. So the masters closed the rift and let the planet develop and become polluted and then returned.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 05:11 AM
Executive Nitpicker

So...it took them 165 MILLION years to figure out the planet wasn't good enough?
Hell, if all it took was some industrial pollution then they could have done it themselves in that time.

Meanwhile, like I said, we have fossil records charting from when the first vertebrates crawled out of the ocean and evolved into dinosaurs and other critters. And we have fossil evidence charting their evolution into birds and the like...and of course records of the great extinction.

Dinosaurs are not a mystery that needs to be explained away as aliens. In fact, saying they were aliens requires more explanation than you could ever provide in a 2 hour movie.

Meanwhile, if this alien civilization has survived for over 230 MILLION years and has dimension-crossing and genetically engineered Kaiju for at least that long, then what do they want a piddly little rock like this one for? Dimensional travel, the technology to create and control giant monsters...they could have any world.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but in no way will that "Kaiju were dinosaurs" thing ever not be fucking retarded.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

Last edited by Galahad; 07-21-13 at 05:23 AM.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 10:27 AM

I'm just trying to explain what they were suggesting. I know it's hard to acknowledge but it is sci fi and you have to make exceptions to the real world, maybe the kaiju masters used time travel a long with the dimension crossing, that would explain the time difference and why they basically let the dinosaurs do their own thing until they became extinct.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 02:34 PM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

I was not sure how I was going to like the movie. I like Transformers, I like Godzilla and Gamera, I even watched Voltron reruns and Robotech. I really like the Appleseed series so naturally I thought that a live action movie about huge robots would be right up my alley.

I rather watch movies by myself or with a few friends than in a theater. So when asked if I wanted to go to a private screening of the movie I thought this would be perfect without the noise of the theater people but still the huge screen what better way to see it?

For some reason however and I cannot put my finger on what it is I was disappointed with the movie. I will buy the BR when it comes out but that is more because I am a collector of movies than anything else but given the choice to go see it again even at another private screening I would decline.

EDIT: And to add even more possibility to liking this movie instead of thinking of the monsters as aliens I actually thought of them as demons because hey what does our universal gathering point surround itself around, chaos, demons? Because the monsters really reminded me of the Demon that Gandolf fought in the LOTR movies where he sort of died. Even putting that spin on it...

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

Last edited by WaLkAwaY; 07-21-13 at 02:39 PM.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 08:27 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
I'm just trying to explain what they were suggesting. I know it's hard to acknowledge but it is sci fi and you have to make exceptions to the real world,
I get the whole 'willing suspension of disbelief' concept, but there are limits. It has to at least be plausible.
I can accept that we can make dozens of 250ft giant stompy robots in only a few years
I can accept that an oil tanker would make an acceptable giant club and not simply crumple the moment it's picked up and disintegrate as soon as it's swung
I can accept that the monsters were engineered in such a way that their bones can support their incomprehensible mass and that their lungs and circulatory systems are somehow able to handle the tremendous loads of just pumping oxygenated blood through thousands of tons of kaiju flesh, let alone when jumping and fighting and all the other high intensity stuff.

That's the sort of stuff willing suspension of disbelief is for.
But when they say something utterly retarded, that does *nothing* to enhance the storyline and only leads to further, crazier stretches in order to explain it, that was a bad move.

There's no way to explain Dinosaurs as Kaiju without it being crazy and stupid.

Quote:
maybe the kaiju masters used time travel a long with the dimension crossing, that would explain the time difference and why they basically let the dinosaurs do their own thing until they became extinct.
If they had time travel then there's pretty much no way to beat them since they could just travel back to the day we barely managed to win and send four more kaiju through. They could travel to the industrial revolution when the air as almost as bad and we had no means of defense.

Meanwhile, even trying to suggest that the dinosaurs were all Kaiu just begs further, crazier questions.
Did they unleash millions of tiny lungfish to crawl out of the surf hoping that over a few million years they'd evolve into the dominant species?

Assuming the best case scenario and maybe dinosaurs evolved on their own and in the Jurassic period or something some large apex predators were introduced as kaiju...they have a set timescale that they can send stuff through. There's no way they could introduce enough to have a viable breeding population to spread them across the planet and compete with the local life forms.

I get what you;re trying to do, but there really is no way to defend it. Every possible explanation just makes it more ridiculous.

The movie would have been better without those two pointless lines.

But like I said, even with them it's still an amazing movie.

post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-13, 04:59 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
...whether they were supposed to be the dinosaurs, or if they were supposed to have killed the dinosaurs.
Actually, the way it was delivered in the movie (and I was watching out for it after reading this thread) it seemed to be inferring that they thought the Kaiju had killled the dinosaurs - the actual line was "First it was the dinosaurs, now it's us".

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-13, 09:52 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Which is slightly less ridiculous than them actually being the dinosaurs (though they imply that they were dinosaurs later by mentioning the preposterous two-brain theory), but still stupid.

It would take a lot of Kaiju to personally murder every dinosaur on the planet, and we would have fossils of giant kaiju unless none of them died in the process and they all went back in the rift.

Meanwhile the time it would have taken to murder every dinosaur would have been more than enough time for their masters to figure out it was a waste of time because the air was wrong.

Also, you know, we know how the dinosaurs died.

Slightly less silly but still, for me at least, a pointless addition that only harms the movie.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode