Dredd Review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dredd Review

I didn't think Dredd would really warrant it's own review, but whilst it's slightly flawed, it was a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

It's Bravado on a stick, start to finish. Loud, obnoxious and relentless. The plot is surprisingly engaging (though brief), and keeps things moving nicely. AT 90ish minutes it's the perfect length for a brain-off action ride.

Visually it's similar to 300, overindulgent and totally fixated with gore. Megacity1 is less futuristic than you'd expect, and they've also toned down the more elaborate imagery from the comic to create a very gritty setting that doesn't feel too far away from today.

On the bad side, the dialogue gets very clunky in places. There's some excellent lines, but they only just keep pace with the bad ones. With a tighter script this could have really excelled into something far better. Similar issues with the writing see flaws in logic which are somewhat distracting.

Back to the good, and the stand out for me is how good Karl Urban is as Dredd. He wears the helmet throughout, has no real character or personality, and has no personal development throughout the film. Instead, Judge Anderson takes on the role of protagonist, and Dredd rocks up in the first scene fully formed. He arrives as a badass, and continues to be a badass.

I've heard a lot about Dredd being compared with The Raid recently due to the plot similarities, but honestly i think the main thing they have in common is they're both fucking cool action films.

I'd highly recommend watching this in a massive, noisy screen this weekend.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-12, 04:30 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

I've been a bit dubious since I heard about this film, but you've sold it to me there :D
Not sure if the wife will want to come with me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 09:41 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

After watching the IGN review of Dredd, I was less skeptical to the idea of another movie about the Judge. The Stalone version ruined the Dredd name and I was not about to fork over money to see another shit version. But, after seeing the cut scenes of the slow motion bullet kills and the dark and dirty feel of Megacity 1, I have changed my mind, well, sort of. I will wait for the blu ray to be released.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-12, 12:07 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Saw it it in the cinema, after the sly version I wasn't expecting much, compared the movie reincarnation, this film blew my mind! Totally worth the money! My only nag is sense wise - why the same gun fire noise for every weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-13, 07:55 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

got this yesterday on blue ray, i have to say it was excellent! even the wife loved it, which was a shock as this really isnt her type of movie at all, i imagine it was even better in 3D, the slow mo scenes were great visually. If i was going to fault anything it was clear that the movie was made for 5 and a bag of crisps, though the lack of money meant less expensive CG scenes and more actual acting and real action, but it also meant we missed out on "the future" in many ways, apart from a few elements the movie could be set now or next week, but in someways that kinda works, how much would the world change in 60 year if we had an appocalypse in that time?
anyway if your a scifi or gore fan this is a must see movie, Stalone is forgotten , Karl Urban is totally Dredd and i hope they make more!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-13, 07:10 AM
Craw-Daddy

I actually didn't particularly dislike it. I thought it was okay. It's something new. That queen chick from Game of Thrones was such a turn off.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-13, 09:39 AM

I'm a fan of the comic version, and thought this film was really good, the scenes of the "slomo" reminded me of experiences I've had in my younger days of dabbling and the Dredd character was exactly as required, a good film all round ;)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode