Michael Fassbender to star in Movie adaption of Assassin's Creed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Michael Fassbender to star in Movie adaption of Assassin's Creed

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/2194...eed-adaptation

Quote:
The great Michael Fassbender will take the lead in an adaptation of Ubisoft’s videogame, Assassin’s Creed, we’ve learned…

Of the dozens of videogame adaptations we’ve sat through over the years, only one or two have been anywhere close to what we’d call ‘worthwhile’. And while we haven’t paid too much attention to the long-running rumours that an adaptation of Assassin’s Creed was in the offing, the latest news to dribble out of Hollywood has immediately caught our imagination.

According to Variety (news of which reached us via ComicBookMovie), the lead will be played by none other than Michael Fassbender. If you haven’t played the videogames, Assassin’s Creed is a mash-up of historical sandbox adventure and sci-fi; in each instalment, the player takes on the role of a hooded assassin charged with offing various evil characters throughout history. The games' emphasis on splashy killings, period detail and rooftop acrobatics could make for a visually arresting movie, particularly if there's a decent director at the helm.

It’s not yet clear which of the various games’ protagonists Fassbender will play – there have been three so far, going by the name of Altair, Ezio and Connor – but securing him is quite a coup for Ubisoft and Sony Pictures. At the very least, he’ll bring a touch of class and dramatic heft to a sub-category of filmmaking not known for its exceptional quality.

Will Assassin’s Creed be the first truly brilliant videogame adaptation? We’re now extremely eager to find out.
I'm hoping that it'll be awesome. Assassin's Creed is one of my favourite game series and I really want them to pull this off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

More news:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34494

Quote:
After a tortured period of to-ing and fro-ing between studio Sony and game publisher Ubisoft, the creators of the immensely popular Assassin's Creed gaming franchise have received a shot in the arm thanks to the news that Michael Fassbender is on board to both star and co-produce the cinematic adaptation.

Taking on the role of Desmond Miles - originally voiced by Nolan North, the man behind Uncharted's Nathan Drake and many more - as well as his bloodletting ancestors, the plot in of itself is still unconfirmed, but it looks set to hit the screen, big studio backing or not.

For those not aware of Assassin's Creed's set-up, the games' plots revolve around an unassuming barman who's called into a fantastical world of assassins' guilds throughout history as he's asked to relive his family's lives through the magic of cutting edge DNA technology.

The creative forces behind the 30 million unit-selling gaming series have so far pushed back again the traditional studio system, keen to keep more control of the film's story, be its setting that of the first game's medieval period, the second's Renaissance or the upcoming third title's American Revolution.

"Michael Fassbender was our first choice" Jean-Julien Baronnet, the CEO of the specially-founded Ubisoft Motion Pictures, tells Variety. "Michael Fassbender is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor."

"We're open to re-discuss with the key studios once the production package is finalised," Baronnet adds. Other games on the fledging studios cinematic adaptation wishlist include the similarly popular Tom Clany series.

Whether this will be another franchise as successful as Resident Evil or another unfortunate one-off a la Hitman, Max Payne and Doom, remains to be seen, with no fixed release date announced as yet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 02:37 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i always worry when computer games get made into movies they have a habbit of being utter poo. But i hope its good, i like fassbender alot and i would likely go see it because hes in it.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 02:38 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Michael Fassbender? Wasn't too much of a fan in what he's done - Kuryalenko, Imogen Poots and Dom West stole the show in Centurion, Til Schweiger and Pitt stole the show in Basterds, I've yet to see Shame, but I'm not wanting to see it for Benders performance, First Class, I don't like the Xmen, really. Huge Assman sort of ruins it for me.

I'll wait and see what else he can do. Having a bit of a man crush on Jon Hamm at the minute, and would have preferred to see him. I hope its better than the Prince of Persia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 04:51 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

'Benders own movie company is producing it too, DMC Films... no wonder why he was cast as the lead. Better him then most others. Maybe Daniel Craig, but he is a bit old for the roll.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 05:15 PM

xNoPityx's Flag is: USA

Assassin creed has always been on my list of video games that would do well if adapted. Really hope this does well.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-12, 05:24 AM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

I've only ever played Assassin's Creed I & Assassin's Creed II, never played any of the others that were in between and with the upcoming release of the newest game to the series Assassin's Creed III I am a bit interested seeing videos of gameplay and the trailers look fantastic. I agree with most people when Holywood do an adaptation of a videogame into a movie is it pretty shit. I've yet to see a good one that does the games in the series justice, because that's what the fans want for th Directors and Actors to do a good job, stick close to the story-line and try not to fuck it up in the progress, but alas Holywood are in it for the quick buck and we're stuck watching a croc of shit.

So im sorry if im a bit Sceptical on this one I'd love for it to do justice, I'm not the greatest fan but I do like the series enough to have played and finished 2 whole games.

TheLaughingMan

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-12, 10:24 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Michael Fassbender?
I'll wait and see what else he can do.
Shame, Prometheus, Dangerous Method, Haywire. He's very good in all of those.

Video game adaptations rarely turn out well, but i'll put my faith is Mr Fassbender, and likely be sorely dissapointed.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode