Movie: Prometheus. - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 02:27 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

I saw it last night and was amazed. The whole premise of the film is extremely thought provoking and it's definitely not a film you can leave your brain outside for. It has a sufficient level of suspense but those craving Cameron-esque xenomorph rampages will be sorely disappointed. Having said that though, it's clear from the outset that it was never Scott's intention to match the frenetic pace of Aliens.

It's clearly a story set in the Alien universe and Giger's surrealist themes are evident throughout the proceedings.

Fassbender's portrayal of the synthetic is phenomenal and will certainly cement his future bankability. Rapace was hit and miss in my opinion. She was clearly written to be this film's Ripley but she just misses the mark. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid performance but it was just slightly lacking. One irritating aspect was her accent kept slipping back to her native Swedish but that can be forgiven given the overall result.

One pleasing outcome is that Scott has left the ending in such a way that you can either draw your own conclusions regarding the link between the events of Prometheus and the events of Alien, or he can make one final film to definitively explain how we got from A to B and leading into the story arc we all know and love.

As previously mentioned, the 3D isn't strictly necessary but it does add spectacular depth to the landscape shots and those in space.

Overall I'd award Prometheus 4/5 papples

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 05:39 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams View Post
One pleasing outcome is that Scott has left the ending in such a way that you can either draw your own conclusions regarding the link between the events of Prometheus and the events of Alien, or he can make one final film to definitively explain how we got from A to B and leading into the story arc we all know and love.
There is already talk from Scott about a sequel and possible trilogy, and i'm really looking forward to what comes next.

I do enjoy a film that gets you thinking and leaves things open for explanation, but there is just far too many vague elements for one film. It's definitely one that breeds discussion though, which is never a bad thing.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 06:21 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I thought it was a good film, nice story line... bit overly bloody in places, didn't really make sense a lot of the time (such as why the 'map' from Earth would lead to where it did) and really did they not think people would remember Bishop..?

I would give it a solid 3.5/5... good, worth the watch and will certainly get me going to watch any sequel, but seriously lacking in places.

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 06:34 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak The Unfaithful View Post
I saw the 2 minute trailer and the aliens in it didn't look like aliens, the hand things were replaced with snake things. whats up with that?
Remember, Aliens, and all their forms, take on the properties of their host's species.

post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 06:54 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Ooo, this looks interesting. Looks like this will be worth a trip to the cinema.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 07:49 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Just got back from watching it (2D) - loved it. Very atmospheric, looked every bit as great as you'd expect a Scott movie to look, and seeing Giger's classic biomechanical ship design in proper HD was great. It also held together very well as a movie in its own right, and didn't seem just like a tacked-on Alien prequel; I'd give it 9/10. Will probably go to watch it again (in 3D next time), and definitely a BR to buy.

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 10:17 PM

Does anyone want to discuss their take on the plot holes?

Massive spoilers to follow of course

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 10:41 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Secondly, what is David's agenda? All the evidence points towards him trying to bring the Aliens to earth
He's programmed to obey Weyland personally (as evidenced by his private conferencing with W while they're en route to LV-224) and, I'm guessing, once W is dead he can revert to a more basic Asimovian 3-Laws type of philanthropic programming - or at least one which doesn't centre around following W's personal agenda.

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
He's programmed to obey Weyland personally (as evidenced by his private conferencing with W while they're en route to LV-224) and, I'm guessing, once W is dead he can revert to a more basic Asimovian 3-Laws type of philanthropic programming - or at least one which doesn't centre around following W's personal agenda.

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:52 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Having said that I though Michael Fassbender's performance top notch, while I was a little disappointed with Noomi Rapace: she did it justice, but didn't shine like she did in the Girl With The Dragon Tatoo trilogy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode