John Carter - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Went and saw it for the midnight release last night, overall it was pretty good. There were a few things that could have been done better, but I never really found myself bored with the movie. And with a running time of around 135 minutes, thats a pretty good thing to be able to say.

John Carter is sort of a movie based on a novel. It comes from the Barsoom series (eleven novels produced from the late 1910's to the mid 1960's) and the movie takes elements from the first two books; mostly the first one with elements of the second one. It also simplifies a number of things, but overall the movie felt as though it stands on its own pretty good.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 04:29 PM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Went and saw it for the midnight release last night, overall it was pretty good. There were a few things that could have been done better, but I never really found myself bored with the movie. And with a running time of around 135 minutes, thats a pretty good thing to be able to say.

John Carter is sort of a movie based on a novel. It comes from the Barsoom series (eleven novels produced from the late 1910's to the mid 1960's) and the movie takes elements from the first two books; mostly the first one with elements of the second one. It also simplifies a number of things, but overall the movie felt as though it stands on its own pretty good.
Thats good to know mate.

I always got the impression from the trailers that it may not have much of a story behind it - action all the way yes, but no story. Made me think of Clash of the Titans, and not in a good way.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-12, 06:15 AM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Firstly i read comic books of John Carter and after that quickly read about half of all books released so far and have been big fan of him since childhood. That doesnt necessarily mean that movie is good.

Close friend of mine who usually avoids normal popcorn flicks went to see this recently since he has read books too and said its quite good actually. Have to go check on this myself this upcoming weekend, hope that story is there and actors are convincing enough.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-12, 09:56 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
Firstly i read comic books of John Carter and after that quickly read about half of all books released so far and have been big fan of him since childhood. That doesnt necessarily mean that movie is good.

Close friend of mine who usually avoids normal popcorn flicks went to see this recently since he has read books too and said its quite good actually. Have to go check on this myself this upcoming weekend, hope that story is there and actors are convincing enough.
This and darkreever's response has softened my stance on this.

I was really disappointed when I heard Disney because that meant I'd never see Dejah Thoris as she was meant to be (i.e., nude--I defy anyone who read this series as a teenager to say that they never once fantasized about the nude Martian princess).

But if someone who has read the books says the movie's good, I'll consider checking it out (though the reviews have been pretty bad).

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 02:06 PM

PedroChidders's Flag is: United Kingdom

It looks set to be the biggest flop of all time if the numbers are anything to go by. It grossed well initially but they spent $350 million on it so it has a way to go before it breaks even
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroChidders View Post
It looks set to be the biggest flop of all time if the numbers are anything to go by. It grossed well initially but they spent $350 million on it so it has a way to go before it breaks even
budget was $250 million and its taken $108 million world wide in a week so i dont think its doing too badly
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...rterofmars.htm

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 10:36 AM

Morhgoz's Flag is: Finland

Well, if my hometown's theather will show it, yes I will. I love the novel series, better than same author's Tarzan -series, which are classics, too. Nice mixture of sword & sorcery and sci-fi. Will buy the dvd, too....

Victory is not important, but large mound of bloody skulls...
...own ones, if nothing else...
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
budget was $250 million and its taken $108 million world wide in a week so i dont think its doing too badly
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...rterofmars.htm
up to $180 million worldwide after two weeks, should recoup its production costs no problem and then all dvd sales will be gravy for disney

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

I saw it last weekend. It was AWESOME. Seriously good story with few plot holes. It was very story-driven and not just "Boom! POW! Sexy Chick!"

Infinitely better than Transformers or Clash of the Titans.

Abandon GW, win back your wallet. Play Infinity!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
I saw it last weekend. It was AWESOME. Seriously good story with few plot holes. It was very story-driven and not just "Boom! POW! Sexy Chick!"

Infinitely better than Transformers or Clash of the Titans.
Well i love both those movies so i will have to go see it ,wrath of the titans is looking good in my opinion too

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode