Major Flaw in Clash of the Titans - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Default Major Flaw in Clash of the Titans

In the movie Clash of the Titans (the modern one) it shows that the people are rebelling against the Gods. Keep in mind that these Gods are real in this movie and aren't just myth. So my question is, what did they think would happen to them in the afterlife? They just openly defiled the Gods and were trying to starve them of their prayers, but didn't occur to them that when they die their souls go to Hades, who is in fact a God? Why would they all just say "Hey! We've had enough of you! **** off!" and then expect everything to be fine and dandy?

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 06:41 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Because it's a movie. Besides when people get really pissed off they don't take all the logical issues into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 06:46 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

No offence anyone, but in my book religion and logic dont fit all that well together at times...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
Because it's a movie. Besides when people get really pissed off they don't take all the logical issues into account.
I try not to look at everything with a, "It's a movie, It's a..." aproach. Why are we here on this forum talking about fluff? "It's just a book/game/etc"

I can understand that maybe people don't always think of EVERY consequence of their actions, but this is a very Big choice with very drastic outcomes. They are telling the Gods that they don't need them anymore, yet when they die their souls go to them for salvation or damnation.

So yes technically its just a movie but with that mentality aside, could you see any possible way that they thought they would be totally fine without the Gods? Someone told me that they thought maybe if they deprived them enough and caused the Gods to become weak that when they died, their souls could overpower the Gods in the afterlife

and @Doelago, yeah thats why you worship the Emperor

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+

Last edited by Androxine Vortex; 11-14-11 at 06:55 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 07:02 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex View Post
and @Doelago, yeah thats why you worship the Emperor
You dare laugh at my beliefs?

Burn heretic!

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 07:10 PM

I love how the moral of the story seems to start off as, "A man needn't have a god behind him to accomplish great things." But as soon as things look bad, main character dude is ready to take Zeus' offer and grab that master-crafted power sword. So I guess the message is really "when the going gets tough, you'd better have a divine patron or you're screwed."

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war, an eternity of slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. I'm telling you man, this is a really shitty time to be alive." -Primarch Stan Wolkowski, Sons of Stan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 08:32 PM

Lubacca's Flag is: USA

No no no, that's not the message! The message is "when the going gets tough, have better weapons to kill the opponent!"

Besides, have you seen the original clash of the titans? It ain't much better man. It's actually a tad bit worse IIRC. At least in this one he HAD a reason for having such a hard on against the gods and everything they stood for. in the original he went through all that shit for a piece of tail
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 08:37 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Actually, I thought the major flaw in that movie was the movie itself. It sucked big, sweaty, harry balls. The original is a classic, and should never have been messed with.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 08:48 PM

Lubacca's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
Actually, I thought the major flaw in that movie was the movie itself. It sucked big, sweaty, harry balls. The original is a classic, and should never have been messed with.
This..to an extent.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 08:49 PM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex View Post
In the movie Clash of the Titans (the modern one) it shows that the people are rebelling against the Gods. Keep in mind that these Gods are real in this movie and aren't just myth. So my question is, what did they think would happen to them in the afterlife? They just openly defiled the Gods and were trying to starve them of their prayers, but didn't occur to them that when they die their souls go to Hades, who is in fact a God? Why would they all just say "Hey! We've had enough of you! **** off!" and then expect everything to be fine and dandy?
If you want to get totally philosophical about it, the gods are just a manifestation of the belief and will of the people that worship them. If man did not create the correlation between the god and the thing that god presides over, that god would never have come into existence in the first place.

I mean religion, gods, God, were all just creations of man to explain away the infinitely large concept of their origins and the uncertainty of their lives and deaths. You have seen it all across history that the major religions of the world have changed, morphed, incorporated, and expelled different aspects of diety worship. As the culture and the times changed the need for those gods eventually disappeared and they became neutered from a spiritual perspective. Man explained how lightning worked, vis a vie, Zeus no longer needed to exist.

Had they starved the god out via lack of worship, a new concept of the afterlife, who ruled and ultimately if it was ruled over by an entity at all would have changed to fit the social belief of the people that formed the new concepts.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode