Orc rules - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Orc rules

A little while ago i played a game against an orc horde army and a few rules questions came up. Firstly he put Thraka into a squad of Kommandos. since Thraka moves as if through difficult and the kommandos have move through cover my opponent rolled 3d6 when determining the movement for the squad. I guess the rules let him do that but realistically i can't figure out how that would work, i mean are the kommandos pushing thraka along?

Secondly, the Kommandos and Thraka had Snikrot as well. Snikrot's special rule says that he can come on from reserve from any table edge. After the game i realized that my opponent didn't roll randomly to see what table edge they came on from. The rule says that any edge can be used but it doesn't say that he can pick which edge automatically. I realize that you can't randomize 4 table edges on a six sided dice but does snikrots special rule therefore mean that you can both come in on any table edge as well as being able to choose what edge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 03:03 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Thraka is an Independent Character so he also has Move Through Cover, 3d6 is right.

Snikrot can choose which table edge to come in on. Although it's hotly debated whether an IC can join his squad and them do this.

Abandon GW, win back your wallet. Play Infinity!
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 03:19 AM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

OrK. With a K. Not a C. This is 40k, not Tolkein.

Interesting list your opponent was running, what was the rest of it's rule-bending fun composed of?

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 06:43 AM

Spot The Grot's Flag is: United Kingdom

It is the same situation as waagh banners and painboys effecting IC's.

IMO its the sane as eldar powers (cast fortune on a unit , read the wording for the rule and you will see its pretty much the same as all the ork abilities like this.) So ghazza doesn't get snikrots rule then essentially a farseer wouldn't benefit from fortune etc being cast on her unit.

Sadly IMO Ghazza does get the rule from snikrot.I don't think he should but when you read the rules its the same as all the other units in the ork army.

Just see what stories will crop up on how a 10 ton ork warboss gets past enemy lines iwthout even grunting waaghh.

Last edited by Spot The Grot; 08-20-09 at 06:46 AM.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 01:00 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Just to elaborate on Deathklokk's point
Quote:
Originally Posted by p47 BRB
In addition, independent characters can move through difficult terrain more quickly and safely than ordinary troops. All independent characters have the ‘move through cover’ and ‘skilled rider’ special rules (see pages 75 and 76).
It's not a widely known rule, and your opponent may not be aware of it himself. Ghaz *always* has move through cover, even on his own. So his power armor is just a wee bit fasata than the meganobz

And yes, skinkrot's ability lets him pick which table edge to come in if. It says "any" not "when the unit comes in the player rolls a die...etc" like outflank does.

It is phrased differently than outflank and is a separate rule, so there should be (IMO) no debate as to whether or not it still applies if an IC is joined. The squad loses their ability to infiltrate (and thus to outflank) if Ghaz is in the unit but with skinkrot aboard, they all (IC included) gain his 'Ambush' special rule, which is unique and not restricted like infiltrate/outflank.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 01:07 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Oh wow, I didn't know ICs had Move Through Cover :S
I suppose that's because I play Nids, and it's therefore completely irrelevant.

Hell, I wouldn't have known anyway.

I believe that yes, Snikkrot's ability does affect joined ICs.
It's strange, but there is NOTHING in the rules to contradict it.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 01:24 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know ICs had Move Through Cover :S
AND Skilled Rider, which is important because you don;t have to be actually *riding* anything to use it. Any time you have to make a DC check, you've got the rule (Generally this only happens with bikes and jump packs, but who knows...unstable ruins, lava, etc)

Quote:
I suppose that's because I play Nids, and it's therefore completely irrelevant.
Agreed, Nids are completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Hell, I wouldn't have known anyway.
I know I only stumbled upon it by accident when I was looking for something else. It's actually been in the rules since at least 4th (maybe 3rd, I don't recall). One of them little easter egg rules. Very handy as a Blood Angel player. Most of my ICs are jump packers, so skilled rider comes in handy.

Quote:
I believe that yes, Snikkrot's ability does affect joined ICs.
It's strange, but there is NOTHING in the rules to contradict it.
Indeed. It's not even a USR, and really, it's not even giving anyone an extra rule. The rule simply applies to skinkrot's unit, and in 5th you can join ICs to units even when in reserve. So when his unit (which the IC is now a part of) becomes available, it comes in from any edge.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 02:18 PM

Inquisitor Varrius's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot The Grot View Post
It is the same situation as waagh banners and painboys effecting IC's.
If you revive this thread, I'll kill you.

Ghazghull does get to come in with Snikrot. That's what makes this effective. It's not cheating but it is kick-butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
Camo is the color of cowardice but if the only ones to call you a coward are now a puddle of plasma there isnt a problem.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 02:27 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Page 48. ALL Special Rules get nerfed. Psychic Powers, btw, aren't Special Rules, so Fortune works fine, thanks. It's not just USRs that ICs nullify by joining a squad, so Ghaz cannot Ambush.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwerlpunk
OrK. With a K. Not a C. This is 40k, not Tolkein.
It's spelt Tolkien.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-20-09, 04:11 PM
Warboss Dakka's Flag is: USA

::Gorans:: Not this again... Elessar, you just opened a very special can of worms that we have been through a million times. I'll try to make this as clear as I possibly can.

The BBB does not allow a unit's special abilities to be conferred on an IC unless the rule specifically states that it can be conferred. Snikrot's ability specifically states exactly how and when it is conferred. Snikrot's ability is conferred on his unit. His unit includes any attached IC's as per the BBB rules on how and when IC's join units.

Is Snikrot's ability conferred? Yes.
Does the BBB allow IC's to gain the benefit of a unit's special rule? Yes, under the circumstance that the rule says so.
Who is Snikrot's ability conferred to? His unit.
Can Ghaz join his unit before the game? Yes.
Do all members of Snikrot's unit gain the benefit of Ambush? Yes.
Therefor, yes, Ghaz gets ambush.

I don't understand why people seem to want to read the part in the BBB about unit special abilities not conferring on ICs, and then promptly ignore the fact that the same rule states that they can be conferred if the individual rule allows it. Are people only reading half the rule or what?

Another way to look at it is this. Snikrot's special ability is X.
Snikrot may not confer X on an IC.
X allows Y to happen.
Y happens to everyone in Snikrot's unit.
Therefor, Y happens to Ghaz because Ghaz is part of the unit.
Snikrot is forbidden from conferring X on Ghaz but Ghaz is not forbidden from taking part in Y.

Last edited by Warboss Dakka; 08-20-09 at 04:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode