Heresy Online: The Unofficial FAQ - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Heresy Online: The Unofficial FAQ

Okay guys. Dakka Dakka, Warseer and Librarium all produce their own FAQ's for 40K. And they're crap, frankly. Some of the decisions plain don't make sense.

Anyway, here is where we come in - the venerable Rules answering teams - the cabbage, TheKingElessar, Tim/Steve, Deathklokk, Revelations, Galahad, and probably many others I've missed (and not forgetting myself, who cheers on while looking a complete twat), it's high time we've come up with our own - we know what IT is, or what IT should be, but thanks to the Bonobo's in the Games Development department, it doesn't make much sense.

Recently, there have been a fair few heated debates over the interpretation of rules, so it's up to us to atttempt to make a thread of FAQ's that the forum can refer to, and hopefully release in the future as part of a Heresy Production.

Okay -

I'm just going to go through the first couple of pages, and find the most contentious, and then post them here.

There are several sections - General, which is further subdivided referring to the Rulebook, and Specific, which is further subdivided into Codices and then the same sections as that under General.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Last edited by Vaz; 06-05-09 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

GENERAL

*Reserved*

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

SPECIFIC

CHAOS DAEMONS
Special Characters
Question: Ku'Gath's special rule "Nurgling Infestation" states that at the "beginning of any turn he is on the table (not including the one when he arrives from Reserve), the player may roll a dice". On page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook, it states that "Whenever a rule uses the word ‘turn’, both in this rule book and in the Codexes, it means ‘player turn’, otherwise it will clearly state ‘game turn’". Does this mean that I am able to roll a dice to see whether I am able to Deep Strike a Nurgling base during both my and my opponents turn, and potentially summon 2 Nurgling Bases during each Game Turn?
Answer: Yes, is the answer. As it clearly states in the Rulebook, Turn refers to Player Turn, hence the Nurgling Infestation special rule can be substituted to read "beginning of any player turn he is on the table (not including the one when he arrives from Reserve), the player may roll a dice". However, there is nothing to stop your opponent pushing to move his first unit, at which point the start of the turn has passed, and you may not roll to bring a Nurgling base onto the field.

IMPERIAL GUARD

Orders
Question: Under the heading "Imperial Guard Orders", on page 29, it sates that officers have the "ability to issue one or more orders each turn". By my understanding of the rules for turns, on page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook, it states that "Whenever a rule uses the word ‘turn’, both in this rule book and in the Codexes, it means ‘player turn’, otherwise it will clearly state ‘game turn’". Does this mean that I am able to issue this order during both my turn and my opponents turn, and potentially fire 6 Lasgun shots during each Game Turn?
Answer: Yes, is the answer. As it clearly states in the Rulebook, Turn refers to Player Turn, hence the Imperial Guard orders can be substituted to read "ability to issue one or more orders each player turn". While there is contention over the background as to the reasoning for this, the rules are clear. However, there is nothing to stop your opponent rushing to declare his targets, at which point the start of the shooting phase has passed, and you may no longer give orders.

TAU
Weaponry and Wargear
Question: Can I take armour, invulnerable, or coversaves against a Markerlight? Can I roll for Feel No Pain against a Markerlight?
Answer: No, is the answer. As no wound is caused, there is nothing to save against, and a Markerlight Token is placed. These Tokens may not be used to modify saves against other Markerlights, as usual.

Quote:

Last edited by Vaz; 06-05-09 at 09:57 PM.
post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 11:17 PM

Sqwerlpunk's Flag is: USA

If people get behind a FAQ, RAI is definitely necessary, especially in complete FUBARs like the IG rules.

Has the Infiltrate USR {NTGU}
>>Sqwerl's Tactical Squads<<

post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm currently writing the RAW, but then when they're obviously wrong, that's what we'll be getting at after it's properly written out - mainly because I don't want to be talking RAW at the same time as a RAI argument is going on.

I know it's strange to think it, but I'm only so much human, and I'd prefer to order out what the rule book states, then read through and change when it doesn't make sense. ;) Are you onboard Sqwerl?

Quote:
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 11:32 PM

Zondarian's Flag is: England

Can I request you don't use a ton of acronyms, and if you feel the need to, get them on the acronym list thing so I can know what you are on about.

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

That's my intention Zond ;) I figured I make it as neat as possible - hence referring to the Rulebook (cba typing out Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook... Oh wait... fuck), rather than BRB. Welcome to the Dark side? You got any time to spare from the Talons? Would appreciate it ;)

Quote:
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-05-09, 11:50 PM

If you need any help that I actually help with I will help, if that makes any sense. But I will be honest I rarely stray out of the homebrew rules section and rarely do the 'proper' rules. There are other folk who are much better at that than me on the site.

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-06-09, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Vaz

Likewise, I was much the same, then I came out of the cupboard (certainly not the closet), and looked at the bright white light of real rules ;D Learnt a bucket off these guys, so it's a real help if you're wanting to learn the game by reading these hallowed pages ;)

Quote:
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-06-09, 12:26 AM

Ohh I read most of them. But I find that on the ones I don't know reading them is better than posting on them. And on the ones I do know it always seems like about 10 people got there before me. But yeah I will try to help where I can. But if I ever want to get me an award I will have to start posting more in the more important sections ad army lists is out of the question because I don't believe in them. Tactics are out of the question for the same reason. So that leaves Rules and Fluff. So I will try to help out there a bit.

Last edited by Zondarian; 06-06-09 at 12:31 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode