Ork Trukks? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Cards344's Flag is: USA

Default Ork Trukks?

I noticed there are no actual models for the 12 boyz dedicated transport Trukk. Would a converted toy truck or a converted transpoet vehicle of another army be ok. I loated eldar transport or Chimera would be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 02:44 AM
Tactless Tactician

Uh... there have been TWO Trukk Models within the last couple of editions.

They're both a little undersized to actually FIT twelve Boyz (especially the older one) but to say that there aren;t any Trukk Models is to proceed in error.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

I didnt see them on GW's U.S. website, so I thought they have been discontinued. I was thinking of using looted Chimeras, would that bee within the rules?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 02:59 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Behold the new Trukk model

But that said, creating your own models is perfectly fine, especially for Orks. Just make sure the model has all the right features so there's no mistaking it for something else.

The trukk is rickety and only AV10, so if you use another model, like a Rhino or a Chimera then you'll have to work in a lot of battle damage, rip out some plates, etc to make it look weaker. And it'll need a big engine to show that it's Fast.

If you use a looted Eldar transport, I would put it on wheels or tracks to show that it's not a skimmer anymore.

No matter what the origin of the model is, it has to have the same stats as a regular Trukk, so it has to look the part

For the record, Looted Wagons and Battlewagons do *not* have their own models, so those you have to convert or create.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

I cant buy any new models until my existing Iron Warriors army is painted. But the next army I am thinking of trying is a sneaky ork army. WIth alot of Kommandos and having the boyz in Looted Chimeras, with messages like, "For Da Emporar!" or "Only stupid Oomans inside" painted on the sides.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:45 AM
Tactless Tactician

Eh... armored vehicles that are supposed to "look oomie-ish" relaly ought to be Looted Wagons.

You can still stick Boyz into 'em, after all.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 03:58 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Besides, a Trukk model is cheaper than a Chimera, and is far Orkier with much less effort on the part of the modeller. Normally, I'm all for doing more work on models, but in the case of the new range of Ork models... they're pretty much perfect right out of the box.

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 04:09 AM
Executive Nitpicker

I have no problem with using looted transports as trukks...especially since Looted Wagons *SUCK*
No, seriously, they're awful. If you're going to use up a HS slot, buy a battlewagon.

So long as you make it clear that they are Trukks and they don't have any extra gear a Trukk shouldn't have then there's really no rule against it.

That said, I do think the new Trukk is beautiful...but the problem with Orks and store-bought models is this: One Trukk looks beautiful and perfectly orky. You can see it's made up of dozens of different bits of scrap.

But when you have two Trukks...suddenly it's no longer a unique looking piece of kitbashed scrap. Having them being perfectly identical (or even modified just a little) completely ruins the cobbled togethert effect.

Do you have a mek with OCD who has to compulsively cobble together each trukk in exactly the same way, from exactly the same bits of scrap, with exactly the same broken panes of glass in the windows?

It's fine for two rhinos to be identical, they were mass-produced, but I;ve always been a staunch believer that no two ork vehicles should look exactly alike.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 04:20 AM
Tactless Tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I have no problem with using looted transports as trukks...especially since Looted Wagons *SUCK*
Matter of opinion.

They're just glitchy Rhinos- and as non-transports, a platform for what's basically a Leman Russ Battle Cannon- A.K.A. Space Marine Bug Spray.

Now, that said, I don't use them as transports- but if you seriously think a Looted Rhino or Chimera's gonna look like a fast open-topped vehicle, you're clearly a more dedicated converter than I will ever be.

Quote:
No, seriously, they're awful. If you're going to use up a HS slot, buy a battlewagon.
Unless you're on a points budget.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 04:41 AM
Executive Nitpicker

AV11 just isn't viable for a combat vehicle. It's barely acceptable for a transport (the Trukk gets by because the Ramshackle rule makes it safer).
Sure, the Boomgun is nice, but you've got glass sledgehammer syndrome.

Trust me, I've fielded Razorback heavy SM lists. An AV11 tank with a big gun usually becomes a smoking wreck midway through turn two.

If Looted Wagons were a Dedicated Transport option, or if you got Three per FOC slot like the old days, then they might be worth it...but one per FOC slot? I don;t think so.

Especially since the Boomgun is the only thing that makes it worthwhile. Now you;re paying 115 for an AV11 tank that had just enough firepower to become everyone's primary target.

As for making a looted Rhino or Chimera look Fast and Open-Topped, that's easy.
For a start, if you're lazy you can always just buy an 'Ard Case for the trukk and make it closed-topped.
If you want it to stay open-topped, all that requires is a hobby saw. The top o the chimara comes off anyway, so just leave that bit off. Replace the hull-mount heavy bolter with a big shoota...or just seal it up and put the shoota in the turret (the hull mount slot would be a good place for a stikkbomm chukka)

For the Rhino, just cut away from the top hatches back and leave the track guards on. Now the cockpit is closed off (makes life easier since there's no detail inside there) and the transport bay is wide open. Stick an Ork with a Big Shoota out of one of the top hatches and you're good to go.

To make them look Fast, you just stick on some huge freaking exhaust stacks. Bolt some half-barrels to the sides for extra fuel (also helps to sell the weaker armor by putting vital components on the outside)

Take off the side access ramps from the rhino and cut an engine block (from a car model, or from the trukk model) in half. stick each half against the inner door of the side hatches.

And flame decals go a long way towards making anything look fast ;-)

In both cases, bolting on patches and scraps of wood show the weakened armor.

If I can stick three rhinos together and make a battlewagon out of them, I'm fairly confident I can turn a single Rhino into a Trukk without breaking a sweat.

You just have to be creative.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode