Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Contemptor Basing Idea - HELP!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Brother Dextus 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm currently making an iron warriors contemptor dread, with the plan to run him with butcher cannon and ccw with built-in plasma gun.

I am trying to make the base quite fancy (I have 2 contemptors and an IA13 ferrum infernus to do) and want to have it look like the plasma gun is shooting at an imperial fist just as the shot has landed.

Couple of questions:

What would the imperial fist look like? I imagine him with half his torso burnt through, one arm gone and the top of one leg melting away.

How would you go about cutting part of a circle from the space marine? I was thinking of cutting away the bulk with some snips and then heating a large (circa 15mm) curved file and dragging it over the model to create the metal/flesh being blasted away.

Does anyone have any pictures of what 'death by plasma' looks like?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I think the method depends on whether you're using a plastic or resin mini for the IF. Plastic would make it much easier to get that melting effect by applying a heated tool, like a poker or similar. Luckily plastic Heresy era armour is easy enough to get hold of these days. I'd attach the torso to the legs before I did something like that, to ensure you get a more complete melted look. If you're using a resin mini, the easiest way to get a good clean hole might be to use a drill on a very low speed setting. You could get the edges to look melted by using a small amount of green stuff, or even PVA glue layered thinly around the edges of the cut.

Plasma is usually described as splashing when it hits its target, as well. That might be worth bearing in mind when modelling it up.

Nice conversion, by the way.

#5 ·
Ha, tzeentch has obviously bent fate to his will... I enjoy cooking and the other weekend my mum bought me a brulee torch... I think the garage will be filled with the fumes of melting plastic this weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.