Deffkoptas viable? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Deffkoptas viable?

Yeah well just needed some advice about Deffkopta's. They're good and all with a couple of wounds with a decent armour save as well as being on a jetbike but are they really that useful? They have TL rokkits but it seems that having tankbustas would seem more viable to me, you have a larger volume of shots, tankhammers, bombsquigs and a Nob to re roll those nasty leadership checks. So what would you suggest, much appreciated

My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

In the grim darkness of the future the economy has even hit daemons, The Changeling is working at White Castle and Skarbrand is giving head in the alley next to Fateweaver's.You ever receive fellatio from a rhyming demon? It's a bad scene man.

Sticking your junk into a fang-filled mouth that breathes fire doesn't strike me as particularly smart.
Which is why that option should be available to any willing to take it.

In fact, there should be fang-faced, firebreathing demons on every streetcorner offering to pay 100 dollars to give BJ's. The gene pool would be vastly better off without anyone incapable of thinking it through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 02:40 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

You are comparing a scalpal to a chainsaw. If you were looking for a unit that could make a first turn surgical strike to an opponents tank then deffkoptas are the way to go. If you looking for a unit that is going to just make a mess out of everything that it comes across then the tankbusta's are the unit for you.

Deffkoptas in small units or individual units work great. Tankbustas need the group to be very effective but you are also forgetting the tankbustas weakness. If there is an armor vehicle that they can see infront of them but out of range of their rokkits they still have to fire at it. This does not allow them to run that turn also if an infintry unit is near them but they can see a tank they have to shot at the tank this means they can't assualt the infintry unit leaving them exposed to being charged by that unit next turn which will leave the unit reduced in numbers or destroyed all together.

So both are good but they have different rolls and functions in an ork army and how a warboss would use them. I like both units personally.

Summer Miniture Exchange SIgn Up Now!
Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 06:45 AM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

Deffkopta's give you awsome movement in your army.

I am a long time speed freeks general and the only thing scarier than orks is mobile orks!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 08:19 AM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm currently fielding 15 koptas in my ork army and i've ganked points to give all of them klaws and rokkits - turn 1 combat with all 3 units is just full on filthy.

iut's worth pointing out that if you turbo boost as your scout move and your opponent goes first you get the uber cover save in his turn which gives you survivability if you don't have the initiative.

it's a hrad list to win with despite the hardness though. since you tie up a LOT of your points in those little koptas.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 09:07 AM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

They're a real pain in the ass!
Turn one power-klaw charges are an amazing way to stop your opponent shooting up your mob while it's coming full pelt towards their lines...

They're also pretty survivable (T5 2W) although I wouldn't recommend tying up too many points in them as you'll lose out on more BOYZ!

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 10:07 AM
Banned
Huffy's Flag is: USA

It depends on the player, personally I love them its so much fun when your opponent just realized he battlesuits/tanks just got raped by flying orks
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll give the Deffkopta's a chance again, I posted this because my experience with them has been less than satisfactory. They helped take down a couple of transports/tanks with the outflanking but swiftly got beat in HtH and the rest ran like panzee grots and got run down. Oh well I'm adding PK to them next time

My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

In the grim darkness of the future the economy has even hit daemons, The Changeling is working at White Castle and Skarbrand is giving head in the alley next to Fateweaver's.You ever receive fellatio from a rhyming demon? It's a bad scene man.

Sticking your junk into a fang-filled mouth that breathes fire doesn't strike me as particularly smart.
Which is why that option should be available to any willing to take it.

In fact, there should be fang-faced, firebreathing demons on every streetcorner offering to pay 100 dollars to give BJ's. The gene pool would be vastly better off without anyone incapable of thinking it through.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-09, 10:43 PM

Lord Vetinari's Flag is: Brazil

well it also all depends on the table your playing on. I mean I normally fight Space Marines and their favorite stratigy is the pie plates on my boys with whrilwinds. IF you have a small table and your coptas are together. then BOOM no more coptas.
I guess what im trying to say is, keep it flexible if you want to save lots of points id go with the tank bustas in a trukk, sending it hurtiling towards the nearst vehicle, Trucks are great as they are fast, as well as letting that tank hammer work magic and as an added bonus make a great ramming vehicle.

"Should we be merciful?"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-09, 05:05 AM
Banned

Remember that they can have TWL Big Shootas. My brother fields 6 Defkoptas that's 18 TWL S5 AP4 shots on the move
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-09, 05:14 AM

LegendX's Flag is: USA

Having your Deffkoptas play a role in your army is key to victory. I don't personally play Orks but like someone mentioned before, they are like a scalpel.

Depending on their equipment and how many you get their role can change.

Shootas are anti infantry
Rokkits are anti tank
Klaws optional

Just remember, they are apart of the army and they are not THE army. Use them to compliment your list.

LX

With the new Tyranids codex, I have returned!

"It's only after you've lost everything, that you are free to do anything." -Fight Club

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode