Tyranids - The Gaunt Screen - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Djokovic's Flag is: Serbia

Tyranids - The Gaunt Screen

Want to know a way to give your entire tyranid army a 4+ cover save?
Put gaunts in front in a line. Seems pretty simple, right? As Auxellion will be able to tell you, there is more to it. The key to it is to pool 50% or more of the gaunts unit off to the side in cover. This way, you can take casualties withough compromising covver for the rest of your army.

Now, lets say you are playing against the angry faces (representing space marines/orks/other tyranids). What you would do is wait till they charge your gaunts, and then BAM you charge back and kill all of those jerks.

: angry::a ngry:

I would love it if Auxellion himself (from whom I first learned this strategy) would post on this thread. Enjoy hearing your opponents swear when you just remove casualties from the left AND get a cover save!!!

The next sentence is true. This sentence is a lie.

"Do not become a link in the turd chain"
- Jezlad

PLEASE CLICK THIS

[URL="http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/%5Burl=http://heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/382-dmitry.htm%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttp://www.heresy-online.net/daemons"][img]http://www.heresy-online.net/daemons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 01:18 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Clever....

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 02:11 AM

Mud213's Flag is: USA

I'd be real pissed if my Tyranid friend learned of this dastardly tactic.

The only problem I see is that after a large blast template or two in that big cluster in cover, the gaunt line will no longer be <50&#37; of the unit. But in the first turn or two the Nids that you really wanted to shoot at, have a 4+ cover save.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 03:01 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

I've been using this tactic for ages, it does work. Hehe.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 04:45 AM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

I don't think you can counter charge with another unit unless you can get into base, and with that many gaunts and pile in, seems unlikely...

But yes, the gaunt screen is awesome.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 05:35 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

I often use this tactic now mainly vsing gun lines the gaunts are doing what there ment to do meat shields

The only army this doesn't work do well is eldar as they will often try and zip around your sides, some tau armies can do that too so be careful.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 06:29 AM

Spot The Grot's Flag is: United Kingdom

Your just stealing his work and posting it .

watched it before and it was really interesting. You should see the new list he did.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 08:18 AM

There are a couple of ways around this, though it is always a useful tactic that makes life hard for your opponent.

Firstly, bear in mind that you can shoot most MCs without cover in this situation. MCs may or may not be your priority targets but if you have guys with lascannon s and the like, fire them at the MCs.

Killing the gaunts is an option, though they will be cheap and take a lot of shots to remove. Putting a few flamer templates on the forest is a good way to reduce their numbers, though you will often be charged by other stuff afterwards. Thunderfire cannons, incendiary rounds from whirlwinds or sternguard and Tau airbursting frag launchers can all help.

If you play chaos, lash the gaunts somewhere and you will be find. Other armies can attempt to replicate this by charging the gaunts in their bit of cover. The ones in the open have to bundle towards the charging unit and will quickly get out of the way. Unfortunately though, they will still be there for one shooting phase at least.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 01:52 PM

Greatdevourer's Flag is: USA

One of the things about the meat shield I have noticed is a tendency to crowd the gaunts in together leaving them with less than an inch of space between each other. This is good if you are trying to block line of sight, but really doesn't help when you are trying to extend the meat shield as much as possible.

By having the gaunts spread out a little you can also have your genestealer or hormogaunts behind the gaunts ready to pounce any unwary enemy unit that gets in too close.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-09, 02:41 PM
sooch's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
There are a couple of ways around this, though it is always a useful tactic that makes life hard for your opponent.

Firstly, bear in mind that you can shoot most MCs without cover in this situation. MCs may or may not be your priority targets but if you have guys with lascannon s and the like, fire them at the MCs.

Killing the gaunts is an option, though they will be cheap and take a lot of shots to remove. Putting a few flamer templates on the forest is a good way to reduce their numbers, though you will often be charged by other stuff afterwards. Thunderfire cannons, incendiary rounds from whirlwinds or sternguard and Tau airbursting frag launchers can all help.

If you play chaos, lash the gaunts somewhere and you will be find. Other armies can attempt to replicate this by charging the gaunts in their bit of cover. The ones in the open have to bundle towards the charging unit and will quickly get out of the way. Unfortunately though, they will still be there for one shooting phase at least.
Just a quick note about MC's and cover - it's possible to get cover for all your MC's by lining up your hive tyrants with guard behind, and since the guard represent >50% of the unit, the tyrants get cover. Then you put fexes behind the TG and the TG are tall enough to give fexes cover. Voila, cover saves for most of your army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Rain View Post
As a guard player, I wouldn't say I enjoy losses more than wins. It's more to the point that losses are just more comfortable, like a person who used to be a hobo puts his hobo shoes back on.
The best analogies help you relate to a situation that would otherwise be foreign to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode