Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

What do you want done with C'tan in the Necron Codex?

• Leave them as is.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Make them Avatars of the C'tan, tone down the stats, and reduce points.

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Let Necron Lords temporarily channel the C'tan based on criteria in game.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Get them out of my non-Apocalypse games!

Votes: 14 26.9%

Hypothetical: C'tan removed in the next codex?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Sword Saint 
#1 ·
So how do you feel about that possibility?

I'd be slightly disappointed to say the least. I can't even play my Necrons and really enjoy it without dropping the Nightbringer on the table anymore. I know part of that may be because there's so little that I want to run that taking up so many points with one unit helps.

Toning down the C'tan and making them avatars or something wouldn't be too bad in my eyes. Definitely the second best case scenario.

Making Lords be able to transform in to a C'tan temporarily during the game sounds pretty bad in my opinion. I don't like adding such a potential random element to Necrons.

Taking them out completely and putting them Apocalypse only is the worst case scenario for me. I most likely won't ever get involved in a game that large (hard enough to finish a 1500 point game sometimes in the short time I can play).

The Nightbringer is easily my favorite model in the game. I would dearly miss seeing him there beside my Monolith.

#3 ·
I really can see that point of view from a fluff perspective. I can't debate that according to the background presented to us of them their statlines are terribly toned down at the moment already. And, I agree, I don't like the idea of two separate stats for the two game types.

But, as a man who wants to have the Nightbringer's babies, it makes me :angry:.

Thanks for the reply. Most times I make threads they get a bunch of views and no comments. :wink:

#19 ·
GW should just leave them as they are a few tweaks here and there for the existing units, possibly add a few more units to keep up with what the Necrons lacking department, keeping the C'tan HQ's for normal 40k game as Nightbringer and Deceiver. :biggrin:

If the rumors are true that the new codex will have all four Star Gods, then I think the Void Dragon and Outsider should be Apocalypse Exclusives.:so_happy:

#5 ·
Fluff wise they make little sense on a regular 40k table. They are the embodiment of gods that eat solar systems and stuff like that after all.

I can see them making it an apoc only unit simply because they will come up with something new and big and scary to use that is more fitting fluff wise that will be more "believable" in a 1,500 to 2,000 point standard game. I do like the idea of the lord "summoning" a c'tan or being possessed by one. That would be quite fitting and fun.

#8 ·
I think Lord level upgrades would suit the current models.

As for the c`tan themselves, personally I don`t really want to see them in anything less than apocalypse. They are the most powerful things in the universe, and we`re supposed to believe they can be one shotted in a small battlefield skirmish?

Doesn`t add up with what I`ve read, where the necron lords alone can decimate large numbers of enemies. :dunno:

#9 ·
I think that being able to use some version of the C'tan in "normal" 40K is a good thing, but I'd also really like a beefed up version for Apocalypse. If it was possible to have something like Dawn of War where a Lord can be temporarily possessed by a small fragment of a C'tan's essence, or if they even made some fluff explaining that the C'tan are sometimes known to disperse themselves over large areas by breaking down into smaller pieces, then that'd be fine by me. In fact, I don't care that much about how it happens, merely that it does. More options is never a bad thing (as long as said options are balanced, of course).

#11 ·
Yeah I second this.

I think there should at least be a point requirement for them, like I cant use helbrecht or grimaldus in anything less than 1500 point games (unless the Ctan already do and I am forgetting.) They tend to over power anything at lower point levels. In a 1000 point game a necron player can field a C'tan a monolith some destroyers and the minimum troop and be near unstoppable if they move right and the dice roll normally. At least for my army anyway (BT) since taking terminators and land raiders at that point level isn't a great way to spend points.

#10 ·
I don't like the C'tan in the game. I think they made many parts to the necrons crap so they could put them in the codex. The C'tan should seriously be an Icon for the Necrons.

If you look at it in a fluff perspective. The C'tan are some tough mothers. Some would go as far to call them gods. But this is the way to represent them? I think thats some bullshit. We don't have Primarchs in the game, let alone the Emperor, or the Chaos Gods, or the Old Ones, but we have the C'tan.

Seriously GW. Be more creative with the Necron units before putting some really important fluff beings into the game.

#17 ·
Better yet push them up to Apoc and give the Necrons some new characters to fill these spots. After all new units means new models, and new models means $$. That being the only language GW seems to understand.

#13 ·
Boot 'em.

They are pretty lame to begin with. Making them aloof and more sinister like the Chaos Primarchs can only add to the mystique.

We already know Necrons need more variety and balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.